The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 About to buy a baby python

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AllyHoney Posted - 18/10/2009 : 21:19:58
Hi

Looking to buy a baby Royal Python but have had such conflicting advice on care. We have a old fish tank, about 18" by 12" by 10" which has a curved front so is only 6" at the side. We also have a 4ft tank for when its older. Is this OK? I will be buing 2 "caves" one for the warm part and one for the cooler half, a heavy bowl for water and a heat mat to go under the tank. Do I need anything else??

Have been told a fish tank is no good to keep a snake in? They don't like having glass all around cos they are shy? We''ll make sure the top is very secure as I hear they are good escape artists.

Also, one shop told us to always put some damp moss in the hidey holes but I've read that a too damp environment can cause respiratory problems. Moss or not??

Any advice gratefully received...would like to get it right!

Many thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 19/10/2009 : 13:07:37
Yeah I had a spare 2ft glass tank in the garage which I was planning on using for Ripley, but sitting there thinking about making a decent lid for it worked out too much hassle and more money than just buying a plastic RUB. Haha... so yeah, probably you should just buy a RUB (Really Useful Box) from Staples.
Blackecho Posted - 19/10/2009 : 06:21:01
Fish tanks aren't ideal, but can work. Rachel is right, your two main issues are covering the sides to make them feel more secure and ventilation.

For a baby, it may be just as easy for you to but a 9L RUB, very cheap and much easier to heat, use and adjust.

Welcome to the forum.
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 18/10/2009 : 23:52:12
If you cover the back and sides and pop in some fake ivy or something for additional cover it will be less exposed. The size will be fine for a baby, they seem to prefer it being a bit crampt because it makes them feel secure.
They only need damp moss in a hide if they are about to shed.

Edit: Make sure you have a thermostat for the heat mat. Also, make sure there's enough ventilation... use a tight-fitting mesh/screen lid if you're using a fish tank.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000