Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AllyHoney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  21:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Looking to buy a baby Royal Python but have had such conflicting advice on care. We have a old fish tank, about 18" by 12" by 10" which has a curved front so is only 6" at the side. We also have a 4ft tank for when its older. Is this OK? I will be buing 2 "caves" one for the warm part and one for the cooler half, a heavy bowl for water and a heat mat to go under the tank. Do I need anything else??

Have been told a fish tank is no good to keep a snake in? They don't like having glass all around cos they are shy? We''ll make sure the top is very secure as I hear they are good escape artists.

Also, one shop told us to always put some damp moss in the hidey holes but I've read that a too damp environment can cause respiratory problems. Moss or not??

Any advice gratefully received...would like to get it right!

Many thanks

xautomaticflowersx
Yearling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  23:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you cover the back and sides and pop in some fake ivy or something for additional cover it will be less exposed. The size will be fine for a baby, they seem to prefer it being a bit crampt because it makes them feel secure.
They only need damp moss in a hide if they are about to shed.

Edit: Make sure you have a thermostat for the heat mat. Also, make sure there's enough ventilation... use a tight-fitting mesh/screen lid if you're using a fish tank.

0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Eublepharis macularius ('Gecko Lady')
1.0.0 Giant Day Gecko - Phelsuma m. grandis ('Pedro')
1.0.0 Giant Namibian Sand Gecko - Chondrodactylus a. angulifer ('Mr. Chondrodactylus' or 'Mr. C')
1.0.0 Desert Iguana - Dipsosaurus dorsalis ('Iggie' or 'Iggz')
1.0.0 Royal Python - Python regius ('Ripley')
0.0.2 Rankins Dragons - Pogona henrylawsoni ('Pancake' and 'Waffles')
1.0.0 75% Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - Morelia spilota spp. ('Buggy')

Edited by - xautomaticflowersx on 18/10/2009 23:53:46
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  06:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fish tanks aren't ideal, but can work. Rachel is right, your two main issues are covering the sides to make them feel more secure and ventilation.

For a baby, it may be just as easy for you to but a 9L RUB, very cheap and much easier to heat, use and adjust.

Welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

xautomaticflowersx
Yearling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  13:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I had a spare 2ft glass tank in the garage which I was planning on using for Ripley, but sitting there thinking about making a decent lid for it worked out too much hassle and more money than just buying a plastic RUB. Haha... so yeah, probably you should just buy a RUB (Really Useful Box) from Staples.

0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Eublepharis macularius ('Gecko Lady')
1.0.0 Giant Day Gecko - Phelsuma m. grandis ('Pedro')
1.0.0 Giant Namibian Sand Gecko - Chondrodactylus a. angulifer ('Mr. Chondrodactylus' or 'Mr. C')
1.0.0 Desert Iguana - Dipsosaurus dorsalis ('Iggie' or 'Iggz')
1.0.0 Royal Python - Python regius ('Ripley')
0.0.2 Rankins Dragons - Pogona henrylawsoni ('Pancake' and 'Waffles')
1.0.0 75% Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - Morelia spilota spp. ('Buggy')
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000