The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 does any one else have trouble with ..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trio Posted - 26/10/2009 : 08:57:55
heat mats!
i'm getting seriously cheesed off with these things. especially when i hear people saying they can get to over 100 degrees. this is the second heat mat i've had and i'm lucky if i can get 90 out of it. yet i've got another that is fine and dandy.
i've got a square glass viv, (well 2 actually) ones got my royal in it and the temps fine. just got myself a rainbow boa and i'm really struggling to get top end temps out of this other heat mat. is it just me???????
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 26/10/2009 : 19:54:30
No probs, now you have to promise that when (in 6 months time) someone new asks this question, you answer it
trio Posted - 26/10/2009 : 18:04:13
did both of the above and hey presto! getting temps around 90 -92 which will do nicely thankyou. maybe i can relax a bit now. thanks for all your help:)
Heffa Posted - 26/10/2009 : 13:38:59
Hey trio, i had exactly the same problem. I had the stat probe under the kitchen roll, directly on top of the mat and couldnt reach temps either. I got all paranoid that thermostats and mats werent working. So i put the stat probe on top of the kitchen roll, with the thermometer probes next to them and now hit temps over and above 90. Silly as it sounds, but it worked. May be worth giving it a try :)
Blackecho Posted - 26/10/2009 : 13:26:22
Bung a bit of card under the mat to raise it up so that it's touching the glass. The air gap you have is acting as an insulator.
trio Posted - 26/10/2009 : 10:09:10
ok, i'm using both - call me paranoid !
i'll move them around a bit and see what happens.
thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i get on ;)
matty18714 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 10:01:53
If your using a digital or a dial thermometer on a flat surface you wont get an accurate reading (you will get a lower one, which is why I prefer infra red temp guns).
trio Posted - 26/10/2009 : 09:42:27
mat is sat flat on top of the wooden viv, the glass viv is on top of that, there is a small gap between the mat and glass viv due to the shape of the viv. probe is sat on inside of viv under kitchen roll directly on the glass, i.e. directly over the mat.
matty18714 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 09:30:57
Have you got a gap between the heat mat and the surface its resting on? Where is the stat probe?
trio Posted - 26/10/2009 : 09:13:17
its underneath the glass viv covering just under half the bottom of the viv. copper strips are upper most ( got that wrong before) using kitchen roll as substrate as it's a baby - easy to clean etc. it is sat on top of a wooden viv, but so is the other one which is fine. i had thought of putting foil underneath to reflect any heat back up but i'm sure i read somewhere this is a fire hazzard.
matty18714 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 09:07:22
How have you got it set up?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000