The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Setup

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHNROX Posted - 02/11/2009 : 18:54:29
right i am looking into royal pyhtons at the moment and on this site... http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/snake-beginner-kit.html how would i go about setting it up and im guessing i would definitely need a light guard? my main setup queerie is what ends do i put the heatmat and basking lamp? and when od i put them on? as for my corn snake i have a uv strip light and heatmat.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHNROX Posted - 03/11/2009 : 20:18:22
pics will be my first prority!!! and my mum is all thats stopping me so once i get a job i can pay my way for food for snakes and ferrets !!!!
bengy_s Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:25:28
Yeah I think most reason why it seems risky is cuz on the instructions they say it is water resistant but don't submerge. Then they follow it up with saying "we do not take any responsibility of damage or loss to your vivarium or livestock......"

Not had a problem in the last 11 year of snake keeping but yes it can happen. Let us know when you get one and post some piccys up!?!
JOSHNROX Posted - 03/11/2009 : 19:02:30
ok thanks oh and the heatmat thing, i have never found a problem this is what i use at the momeny and my uncle never had a problem over the 35 ears he kept snakes, but yeah still a risk.
bengy_s Posted - 03/11/2009 : 18:01:26
Around £50 for a hatchling Josh. Try to find one with a comprehensive feeding schedule so you hopefully won't have a problem with him/her eating.
JOSHNROX Posted - 03/11/2009 : 17:15:02
well all of your ideas will be taken into account for sure :) i will probably use my little faun with mat underneath on a stat and then move it up to i 3ft viv with ceramic bulb and a dayglo bulb for light? because if she is going to last a little while in the faun i can get her bits for the viv in installments :) thanks for all your help guys its appreciated and one last thigns what is a sensible price to pay for the hatchling itself?
bengy_s Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:14:38
Ok I don't want to fall out. You seem nice & gave me good opinions on trying to handle my grumpy royal/ get it used to me.

I was just getting concerned that I was told that my set up was suitable but now i'm bit confused as this thread is suggesting otherwise? I know ceramic/infrared is better esp. for adults. So would you suggest getting a bulb set up for mine now or will he be ok for a bit longer?

He can't get direct contact with mat as it is, and the instructions say it is water resistant but don't submerge in water completely. I take on board what you say though, it is a risk.

I hear another disadvantage to mats if you use a glass viv is they can crack the viv quite easily.
MissCat Posted - 03/11/2009 : 14:07:00
yea we are talking hatchlings, but regardless of size i still wouldn't put an animal in direct contact with the mat because of the risk of water/urine getting into the mat and causing a fire hazard.
Also, the OP seemed to be asking for set up ideas that would last most of the snakes life, in which case (imo) a bulb and appropriate stat would be more cost effective than a heatmat.
A heat mat is SUFFICIENT. I'm not sure if i commented on your thread you posted, but i personally wouldn't advise a heatmat IN DIRECT contact with the snake regardless of size. a heatmat is fine if it's under a rub/faunarium as you no longer have the fire hazard risk from liquid, not sure about thermal blocking if it's UNDER the rub/faunarium but since there is usually a small gap between the mat and rub/faun i wouldn't have thought that risk would be so prominent.
Of course, it is a RISK, not a certainty, that anything bad will occur from using a mat in these circumstances. It's your choice.
bengy_s Posted - 03/11/2009 : 13:01:03
My mistake, I thought we were talking about hatchlings not full frown heavy bodied royals.

Also ceramic or infra red set up is a lot more expensive to start off with. Yes when the snake grows, a ceramic or infra red is better but even on my thread when i raised the question if a heat mat is ok, everyone said a heat mat is sufficient for my 2 year old royal. So why the sudden change in advice? Surely a 2 year old royal runs more of a risk of thermal blocking than a hatchling?
Blackecho Posted - 03/11/2009 : 06:44:45
Yes, I'm with you again MC, I wouldn't use a heatmat where an animal could come in direct contact with it.
MissCat Posted - 03/11/2009 : 00:29:52
Yes, you would need to have a hole for the probe regardless or type of heating.
However, I have found that heatmats in wooden vivs are not as useful as a bulb in some form.
You place the mat under the wood and you are using A LOT of energy trying to get heat through the wood, you put it IN the viv you run the risk or water/urine getting into the mat and causing a fire hazard.
Also, people tend to keep royals/snakes in general in a viv when they are larger. And larger bodied snakes aren't particularly recomended with heatmats, something to do with thermal blocking i believe, which can lead to burns.
It's a risk factor thing i guess, i personally just feel better not using mats in a wooden viv.
That and i tend to have more issues maintaining a stable temperature in a mat heated viv.

bengy_s Posted - 02/11/2009 : 23:22:24
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

heating a viv is a tad more complicated, heatmats, while still useable, are not that great in wooden vivs.

I've got a wooden viv (2ft) and heat it with a mat & the temps are fine. You just need to drill hole for thermostat probe. (glass or plastic viv you place mat underneath so can put stat probe on mat and adjust so temp inside is as desired).

You can use a pulse stat on a heat mat. You can also use a dimmer stat on heat mat though the heat mat will need to be a minimum of 40w. but a 40w mat is also likely to be quite big. Better off with pulse if your thinking of getting ceramic later on.
MissCat Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:45:09
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHNROX

oh cool how would i go about setting it up?

hide either end, water bowl in the middle, kitchen roll substrate.
Holes melted (carefully) in the side for thermostst probe and thermometer probe) job done
MissCat Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:43:29
You can get a cheap 2 ft viv, or even build a small one for pennies practically.
just fill it with lots of stuff. heating a viv is a tad more complicated, heatmats, while still useable, are not that great in wooden vivs. Better still is a ceramic or infra red bulb (on appropriate stat), with a guard.
i would advise getting a pulse proportional thermostat, beacuse as far as i am aware you can run a mat on it (correct me BE if i am wrong) then when you move to a viv you can run a ceramic bulb (not infra red though, that needs a dimmer stat)
JOSHNROX Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:43:18
oh cool how would i go about setting it up?
Blackecho Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:43:03
As above, would be fine for a hatchling.
MissCat Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:39:18
that's the size i have a hatchling in atm, it's not gonna last long though :p
JOSHNROX Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:34:00
i would buy everything on there apart form the rub, dnt get me wrong they are cheap and useful but i have theas pets at the moment so i would rather a cheap faun , i have a faun but its only 13" long 7"wide and 6" tall which i guess isnt suitable?
MissCat Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:32:32
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Great minds think alike MC

By the way, i burnt tea looking for all the bits, and you beat me to it!
JOSHNROX Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:30:16
wow! thanks black echo you summed it up for sure! :)
JOSHNROX Posted - 02/11/2009 : 21:29:45
Yeah im going to go for a hatchling as i want it to sort of grow up and trust me as a person more because one of my friends bought and older snake which wasnt used to human contact and got savages quite frequently.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000