Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right i am looking into royal pyhtons at the moment and on this site... http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/snake-beginner-kit.html how would i go about setting it up and im guessing i would definitely need a light guard? my main setup queerie is what ends do i put the heatmat and basking lamp? and when od i put them on? as for my corn snake i have a uv strip light and heatmat.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:44:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For a young one I'd go for the plastic faunarium setup with the heatmat (at either end).

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that^^^
Would just like to point out that the dial thermometer will need replacing with a digital one as dial ones are often very inaccurate.
Also, that's not the best price either :p
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok thanks guys :) so if i look for a faun setup and post it on here for the pros to confirm i should be ok :) and will i be able to carry some of the equiptment across to the new viv when it has grown up? and any ideas on convincing parents on royals would be much apreciated, she knows i want to be a herpetologists when im older( steve irwin if you like haha, i wanna be on tv with it) and she is behind me all the way but she just doesnt like pythons but i reli want one as we have 2 types of lizards so why can ti have my own two types of snakes?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.everythingforpets.com/jon_coote_apos_s_ball_python_starter_kit.pet/use.id.5.item_id.4787.dept.1293/ unsuitable?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:06:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Three problems with that, it doesn't come with a thermostat, you'd still need to buy the digital thermometer and its glass, so you'd need to cover 3 sides to make it less open.

Don't get me wrong, I've used these with hatchlings before, but I have now moved to plastic. RUBs are the way to go imo.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well royals are the smallest python (i think lol), they are also slower and imo less likely to bite than a corn...or even a lizard.
Royals are often fussy feeders and go off their food, so the idea that they will start sizing up next door two year old is probably the silliest thing you'll ever hear.
They are my favourite snake.
that set up is okay, but you will need to cover up 3 sides at least to aid security for the snake, and with no thermostat included, that's really expensive!!!

*edit: too fast for me BE!*

What size are you thinking of, hatchlingish?
If you like, gimme a mo and i can go through a *general* what you need thing, with links too so you can price it up..?

Edited by - MissCat on 02/11/2009 21:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:14:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4Ltr-Really-useful-storage-box-BN_W0QQitemZ310177206364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item483800905c

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microclimate-Ministat-Matstat-Heat-Mat-Thermostat-100W_W0QQitemZ260499224220QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item3ca6f6b69c

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HEAT-MAT-7-WATT-HIGH-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ330370171053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item4ceb98c0ad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ160374713520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item255713ecb0

http://www.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/exotics/plant-vine-170cm-755-p.asp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/reptiles-amphibians-SMALL-HATCHLING-HIDE-CAVE_W0QQitemZ140287694859QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item20a9cc580b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Reptile-WATER-DISH-Small-for-Vivarium-Bowl_W0QQitemZ290344069096QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item4399dae7e8

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol yea that'll do :p
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:17:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
£58.20 including delivery. Could make it even cheaper by making hides out of old cardboard boxes or something and a small dish for a water bowl.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:18:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great minds think alike MC

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehehe :D
to the op you can make the salt dough hides too, i guess if you seal it up you can also make a water bowl from it.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah im going to go for a hatchling as i want it to sort of grow up and trust me as a person more because one of my friends bought and older snake which wasnt used to human contact and got savages quite frequently.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow! thanks black echo you summed it up for sure! :)
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Great minds think alike MC

By the way, i burnt tea looking for all the bits, and you beat me to it!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would buy everything on there apart form the rub, dnt get me wrong they are cheap and useful but i have theas pets at the moment so i would rather a cheap faun , i have a faun but its only 13" long 7"wide and 6" tall which i guess isnt suitable?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's the size i have a hatchling in atm, it's not gonna last long though :p
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above, would be fine for a hatchling.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh cool how would i go about setting it up?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get a cheap 2 ft viv, or even build a small one for pennies practically.
just fill it with lots of stuff. heating a viv is a tad more complicated, heatmats, while still useable, are not that great in wooden vivs. Better still is a ceramic or infra red bulb (on appropriate stat), with a guard.
i would advise getting a pulse proportional thermostat, beacuse as far as i am aware you can run a mat on it (correct me BE if i am wrong) then when you move to a viv you can run a ceramic bulb (not infra red though, that needs a dimmer stat)
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHNROX

oh cool how would i go about setting it up?

hide either end, water bowl in the middle, kitchen roll substrate.
Holes melted (carefully) in the side for thermostst probe and thermometer probe) job done
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000