Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  23:22:24  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

heating a viv is a tad more complicated, heatmats, while still useable, are not that great in wooden vivs.

I've got a wooden viv (2ft) and heat it with a mat & the temps are fine. You just need to drill hole for thermostat probe. (glass or plastic viv you place mat underneath so can put stat probe on mat and adjust so temp inside is as desired).

You can use a pulse stat on a heat mat. You can also use a dimmer stat on heat mat though the heat mat will need to be a minimum of 40w. but a 40w mat is also likely to be quite big. Better off with pulse if your thinking of getting ceramic later on.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  00:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you would need to have a hole for the probe regardless or type of heating.
However, I have found that heatmats in wooden vivs are not as useful as a bulb in some form.
You place the mat under the wood and you are using A LOT of energy trying to get heat through the wood, you put it IN the viv you run the risk or water/urine getting into the mat and causing a fire hazard.
Also, people tend to keep royals/snakes in general in a viv when they are larger. And larger bodied snakes aren't particularly recomended with heatmats, something to do with thermal blocking i believe, which can lead to burns.
It's a risk factor thing i guess, i personally just feel better not using mats in a wooden viv.
That and i tend to have more issues maintaining a stable temperature in a mat heated viv.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  06:44:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm with you again MC, I wouldn't use a heatmat where an animal could come in direct contact with it.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:01:03  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My mistake, I thought we were talking about hatchlings not full frown heavy bodied royals.

Also ceramic or infra red set up is a lot more expensive to start off with. Yes when the snake grows, a ceramic or infra red is better but even on my thread when i raised the question if a heat mat is ok, everyone said a heat mat is sufficient for my 2 year old royal. So why the sudden change in advice? Surely a 2 year old royal runs more of a risk of thermal blocking than a hatchling?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  14:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea we are talking hatchlings, but regardless of size i still wouldn't put an animal in direct contact with the mat because of the risk of water/urine getting into the mat and causing a fire hazard.
Also, the OP seemed to be asking for set up ideas that would last most of the snakes life, in which case (imo) a bulb and appropriate stat would be more cost effective than a heatmat.
A heat mat is SUFFICIENT. I'm not sure if i commented on your thread you posted, but i personally wouldn't advise a heatmat IN DIRECT contact with the snake regardless of size. a heatmat is fine if it's under a rub/faunarium as you no longer have the fire hazard risk from liquid, not sure about thermal blocking if it's UNDER the rub/faunarium but since there is usually a small gap between the mat and rub/faun i wouldn't have thought that risk would be so prominent.
Of course, it is a RISK, not a certainty, that anything bad will occur from using a mat in these circumstances. It's your choice.
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  14:14:38  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok I don't want to fall out. You seem nice & gave me good opinions on trying to handle my grumpy royal/ get it used to me.

I was just getting concerned that I was told that my set up was suitable but now i'm bit confused as this thread is suggesting otherwise? I know ceramic/infrared is better esp. for adults. So would you suggest getting a bulb set up for mine now or will he be ok for a bit longer?

He can't get direct contact with mat as it is, and the instructions say it is water resistant but don't submerge in water completely. I take on board what you say though, it is a risk.

I hear another disadvantage to mats if you use a glass viv is they can crack the viv quite easily.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  17:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well all of your ideas will be taken into account for sure :) i will probably use my little faun with mat underneath on a stat and then move it up to i 3ft viv with ceramic bulb and a dayglo bulb for light? because if she is going to last a little while in the faun i can get her bits for the viv in installments :) thanks for all your help guys its appreciated and one last thigns what is a sensible price to pay for the hatchling itself?
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:01:26  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Around £50 for a hatchling Josh. Try to find one with a comprehensive feeding schedule so you hopefully won't have a problem with him/her eating.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  19:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks oh and the heatmat thing, i have never found a problem this is what i use at the momeny and my uncle never had a problem over the 35 ears he kept snakes, but yeah still a risk.
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  19:25:28  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think most reason why it seems risky is cuz on the instructions they say it is water resistant but don't submerge. Then they follow it up with saying "we do not take any responsibility of damage or loss to your vivarium or livestock......"

Not had a problem in the last 11 year of snake keeping but yes it can happen. Let us know when you get one and post some piccys up!?!

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

JOSHNROX
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  20:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pics will be my first prority!!! and my mum is all thats stopping me so once i get a job i can pay my way for food for snakes and ferrets !!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000