New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  10:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, when i got prince nearly 2 weeks ago, he had skin on his head, which i think had not shed previously.
The breeder told my partner that it was dry skin and would come off with his next shed.
Well to my surprise Prince has tried to shed, i had no idea he was going to, but parts of him have not shed, it is very patchy, and his head and neck has definatly not shed.
Should i give him a bath? He fed well yesterday morning, so will it be ok to bath him today? He really is in a sorry state

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  10:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he fed yesterday I'd leave off bathing him until tomorrow so that he has chance to digest his meal.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  09:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i gave prince a bath this morning which helped to shed the rest of his body,
but his head and eyes have not shed. what should i do?
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:04:26  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My royal is in blue, coming up to his first shed. If you didn't see his eyes turn blue chances are he went through blue phase before you bought him. With my corn (only had to do it once, she has shed fine for the last 10 years, in one piece every time) I put her in a damp, warm pillowcase & tie the end. I put her in the viv (not on hot or cold end, somewhere in the middle) for about an hour and then undone the pillow case and let her out.

This worked for my girl doing it once but you can repeat it if necessary until it comes off. Is your humidity & temperatures correct?

If I were you I would try the above and see how it goes & on his next shed, and if the temps and humidity have been maintained correctly, and if he hasn't shed properly I would take him to the vets. I'm not aware of specific illnesses from bad shedding but better to be safe.

I've also heard of people rubbing a small amount of olive oil on their snakes then giving them a bath. Apparently it also kills mites (if infested with mites). I have never tried it but the people who have said it worked. Its upto you, i'd try the pillowcase route first though.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 02/11/2009 14:05:40
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:14:18  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put ripped and scrunched up news paper in a pillow case and make the news paper slighty damp and put my royal inside and tie a knott so he cant get out then put the pillow case near the hot end so it makes a mini sauna and as he moves around inside it should come off

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hints sound good-I am picking my royals up tonight but I know there has been a problem with shedding due to too low humidity. i'll see what they are like when I get them & then use some of your tips if I need to. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My normal female Hannah has never shed properly,she rips her skin around her head just back from her eyes, i put her in a tub of warm water with a lid on(use your thermometer) for about 10 mins. Hopefully you see him submerge his head the skin should then start to come away. When i see it coming loose i put her on the floor and she then rubs her nose into the carpet hopefully removing it.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:59:19  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If anyone thinks of doing hodgie's tip then PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SNAKE UNATTENDED!!! I've heard of people (google it if you like) leaving their snakes in the tub and the snake has drowned!

Hodgie sorry to seem melodramatic but a neighbour near my parents did this to his corn and it drowned ;-< It is another good tip but keep watch!

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:11:37  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only fill the tub up so that the water only covers half of the snakes body if you know what i mean

Also works really good

quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

My normal female Hannah has never shed properly,she rips her skin around her head just back from her eyes, i put her in a tub of warm water with a lid on(use your thermometer) for about 10 mins. Hopefully you see him submerge his head the skin should then start to come away. When i see it coming loose i put her on the floor and she then rubs her nose into the carpet hopefully removing it.

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel

Edited by - Danny Action1 on 02/11/2009 18:12:15
Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  09:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice i will try some of your ideas in a few days time.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got my 2 last night; the female still had some skin on from her last shed nearly 2 weeks ago but I just put her in the water bowl a couple of times and must of it came off just with fairly gentle rubbing; she looks so much more comfortable now :). I'm having a go at the boy tonight, he's only just shed and has a lot less old skin on, just some on his back by the look of it.
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  14:53:43  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yardy you seem to be in difficult situation where you need to handle the snake to help it but as you just bought it, should otherwise leave it alone for a week undisturbed, other than water changing daily and spot cleaning as necessary.

I'd just try the male then leave them for a week starting today. Are they housed seperately?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  19:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

If anyone thinks of doing hodgie's tip then PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SNAKE UNATTENDED!!! I've heard of people (google it if you like) leaving their snakes in the tub and the snake has drowned!

Hodgie sorry to seem melodramatic but a neighbour near my parents did this to his corn and it drowned ;-< It is another good tip but keep watch!

Sorry, i forgot to say dont leave them unattended.........

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:31:42  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No worries. The first time I read it I thought what you were prob thinking at the time. I just thought was worth a mention incase any newbies reading might literally take it word for word! A good tip though ;->

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yardy you seem to be in difficult situation where you need to handle the snake to help it but as you just bought it, should otherwise leave it alone for a week undisturbed, other than water changing daily and spot cleaning as necessary.

I'd just try the male then leave them for a week starting today. Are they housed seperately?

I cleared most of the males left on skin last night; he only needed damping & it came off better (in bigger pieces) than the females. both seemed happy as they have been used to being handled a lot so I tried food and they each had a medium mouse-can't believe my luck there considering the messing about that they have had-I just got the feeling that it would be worth a try! Think I've picked up a couple of good uns. That's maybe a case of famous last word but hope not, well pleased with the snakes.
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:26:33  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well done. Sounds like you ain't going to have a problem with feeding (crossed fingers!).

Hope your good fortune continues! If they eat its a sign your doing something right (despite the disturbance they've had) so keep it up!

Ben

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well done. Sounds like you ain't going to have a problem with feeding (crossed fingers!).

Hope your good fortune continues! If they eat its a sign your doing something right (despite the disturbance they've had) so keep it up!

Ben

i think it's because they have been used to being handled a lot so that side doesn't cause any stress. They are actually used to feeding while being held-you just hold them near a thawed out (hotish) mouse and they snatch it while still being held then just shuffle them off your hand and they get on with it. I don't intend to keep feeding them like that, could be a problem when they get bigger, but did it last night because it's what they are used to. Also they are together in the same viv so all that's changed is the location and the owner-it must have made them feel secure being put back into their own viv with their own hide etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000