The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 feet first feeder!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sandi Posted - 29/09/2010 : 13:28:54
Hiya,
Ive had florence for just over a month and she is a good hungry feeder but always takes the mouse feet first. Sometimes they get stuck and she drops them and starts again but she never learns!

Any ideas???
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 29/09/2010 : 18:22:31
My Shahi is probably about 6 months old - after a slow start an enthusiastic feeder - I too warmed the mouse and especially its nose and offered it nose first on tongs ... he would strike fast, coil ... and then manage to turn it round and eat it feet first! D'oh!

But recently, despite my no longer bothering to warm the nose specially, he's started to eat it nose first all by himself.

They are awkward little gits!
sandi Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:53:34
Thats what i thought as she really flew at the light, heat pits took over in the frenzy!
I'm about to put her onto jumbo mice then weaner rats so will invest in a hair dryer!
Blackecho Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:50:27
If the mouse/rat isn't warmed that may be the problem (not so bad with small mouse legs, but an issue with adult rat legs!), she may have strucky towards the light as it was hot and they use heat as much as scent and sight to aim. Hence all the heat pits along the mouth.

I usually heat the heads of mine with a hair dryer for 20-30 secs before offering.
sandi Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:01:54
I tried strike feeding but she missed and then struck into mid air directing her aim at the light, thankfully i have a guard on it. Sinse then she has just taken it from a piece of board that i put in so she doesnt pick up any substrate. I wondered if i should warm up the head end, maybe i will try that next week.
Thanks for your help.
Blackecho Posted - 29/09/2010 : 13:51:55
Is she a strike feeder?

Do you heat the head to help her aim?
Snecklifter Posted - 29/09/2010 : 13:42:54
I wouldn't worry, mine quite often takes them tail first and although he has to work a little harder, always manages to get it down. If yours drops it but tries again, don't worry, just check there isn't any substrate on the prey. As to whether they learn or not, couldn't tell you, but mine hasn't and no harm has been done.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000