The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding day

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
squeakymel Posted - 03/11/2010 : 22:31:48
Went to feed my new royals today. Marni took it no problems, kinda struck but not with too much force. When i tried to feed the male Wilson and he struck as soon as i opened his rub, dont think it was at the rat, scared the **** out of me. He then curled up in his house and started hissing at me. Is this normal? Ive never had royals before and my corns are all calm, ive not been tagged before and now im actually scared of him :-(
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
squeakymel Posted - 08/11/2010 : 07:47:32
Thanks everyone :-)

Checked all his temps n stuff which were fine, turns out mr grumpy was in shed.....
Now he has fully shed and looking amazing i will give him a few days and try feed him again :-)
Brad Posted - 07/11/2010 : 20:49:26
Our Bry hissed at me a few times when I first got him, not done it for a bit though.
anatess Posted - 06/11/2010 : 05:42:07
Hmm... from what you describe that's a defensive strike. Could be stress-related, or starting a shed cycle, or he's not feeling good (temps maybe off or something).

Just double-check your husbandry or see if he's in shed (bump up humidity). If everything looks good, just leave him alone for 5-7 days (don't handle him except for basic maintenance) and then offer him food again.

If you're scared, you can wear thick gloves until you get comfortable again. If he goes on a strike position (head tense in an s-coil and lifted up on the alert), gently pat his head either using a flat palm of your hand, or a piece of paper, etc., to break his concentration. More than likely, he will retract his head into his coils and you can then pick him up like normal.
Robert Posted - 05/11/2010 : 19:01:07
He's probably hungry lol and thought it was feeding time, they do settle down over time if it is a new snake then he is getting used to the new environment, see how it goes over the next few days :)
reptiledanny Posted - 04/11/2010 : 18:22:21
lol, every one has been hissed at
ALLSTER Posted - 04/11/2010 : 12:23:41
mine hiss at me last night (miss grumpy) lol
deadmansfinger Posted - 04/11/2010 : 11:19:23
I had the same experience with KingBob last week. I have only had a corn before so I wasn't expecting that kind of striking either! I pretty much crapped myself lol. He struck for it 3 times but kept nearly hitting my hand. I then realised it wasn't warm enough and he was smellng the mouse but going for the heat of my hand. He rose right up out of the RUB and looked pretty freaky. I really thought he was going to tag me when I walked by

I gave the rat a good heat, took it back and he took it first time. He's never hissed at me though. He's a gentle soul!
Kelfezond Posted - 04/11/2010 : 10:57:07
Valhalla does that to me every time I see her hehe, I think it's her grumpy way of saying hello.
Welly Posted - 04/11/2010 : 08:14:48
Could be the time of the year.
reptiledanny Posted - 04/11/2010 : 07:46:40
bullet got hissy with m at the weekend when he was in his hide all curled up with his back just visable so i touched him and he hissed, i just told him to shut up and then his head came out and he was like "oh, its only u" then he went back in again
Welly Posted - 03/11/2010 : 22:45:05
Sabre did this too me last week. lol
hodgie Posted - 03/11/2010 : 22:36:20
Dont worry, they can have their little freaky moments especially if they are young and you`ve only had them a short time.. try again in a week.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000