Feeding day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

squeakymel
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:31:48  Show Profile  Visit squeakymel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went to feed my new royals today. Marni took it no problems, kinda struck but not with too much force. When i tried to feed the male Wilson and he struck as soon as i opened his rub, dont think it was at the rat, scared the **** out of me. He then curled up in his house and started hissing at me. Is this normal? Ive never had royals before and my corns are all calm, ive not been tagged before and now im actually scared of him :-(

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry, they can have their little freaky moments especially if they are young and you`ve only had them a short time.. try again in a week.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabre did this too me last week. lol

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  07:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bullet got hissy with m at the weekend when he was in his hide all curled up with his back just visable so i touched him and he hissed, i just told him to shut up and then his head came out and he was like "oh, its only u" then he went back in again

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  08:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be the time of the year.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  10:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Valhalla does that to me every time I see her hehe, I think it's her grumpy way of saying hello.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:19:23  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had the same experience with KingBob last week. I have only had a corn before so I wasn't expecting that kind of striking either! I pretty much crapped myself lol. He struck for it 3 times but kept nearly hitting my hand. I then realised it wasn't warm enough and he was smellng the mouse but going for the heat of my hand. He rose right up out of the RUB and looked pretty freaky. I really thought he was going to tag me when I walked by

I gave the rat a good heat, took it back and he took it first time. He's never hissed at me though. He's a gentle soul!

1.1 Royal Python

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 04/11/2010 11:22:34
Go to Top of Page

ALLSTER
Snake Mite

23 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  12:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine hiss at me last night (miss grumpy) lol

1.0.0 CORN ( SEPT 09 ) HANNIBAL
0.1.0 ROYAL PYTHON ( SEPT 10 ) KRYSTAL
2.0.0 KITTENS ( JULY 10 ) GINGE AND SOOTY
1.0.0 BABY ON ITS WAY ( NOV 10 )
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:22:21  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, every one has been hissed at

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  19:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's probably hungry lol and thought it was feeding time, they do settle down over time if it is a new snake then he is getting used to the new environment, see how it goes over the next few days :)

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  05:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... from what you describe that's a defensive strike. Could be stress-related, or starting a shed cycle, or he's not feeling good (temps maybe off or something).

Just double-check your husbandry or see if he's in shed (bump up humidity). If everything looks good, just leave him alone for 5-7 days (don't handle him except for basic maintenance) and then offer him food again.

If you're scared, you can wear thick gloves until you get comfortable again. If he goes on a strike position (head tense in an s-coil and lifted up on the alert), gently pat his head either using a flat palm of your hand, or a piece of paper, etc., to break his concentration. More than likely, he will retract his head into his coils and you can then pick him up like normal.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Brad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  20:49:26  Show Profile  Click to see Brad's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our Bry hissed at me a few times when I first got him, not done it for a bit though.

1.1.0 Fire Royal CB10 Brian & Bella
1.0.0 Cat Samson
Go to Top of Page

squeakymel
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  07:47:32  Show Profile  Visit squeakymel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone :-)

Checked all his temps n stuff which were fine, turns out mr grumpy was in shed.....
Now he has fully shed and looking amazing i will give him a few days and try feed him again :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000