The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Weight?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 11:05:11
Orlina has only ever eaten half the weight of food she should be eating, 10-15% of body weight as I understand, which now should be 122-180g per feed but I know all snakes are different so lets say 100-150g per feed. She was feeding 90g before her shed 5 weeks ago. Since her shed she has fed twice, the first was 80g the second (4 weeks later) was 60g so she's eating (when she does eat) half of what she should be eating, but, she's puting more weight on than she's eating. She's not fat in the slightest but solid.

I weighed her straight after her shed she was 1025g empty. Since then she's ate 140g in 5 weeks but put on 200g? I know its only 60g and Im not worried because according to the graph on the weight thread she's bang on the lightest she should be so Im glad she's puting on weight its just HOW she's puting it on thats puzzling me.

Lets say she keeps 100% of the weight of the food 70% fat/energy and 30% to waste (for example) she should still have only put on 140g and she's quite active at night so she is using energy and is not got any fat on her she's just solid. She's drinking and peeing fine.

I had the horrific thought she might be gravid but she's never been near another snake since september at least and to make sure I felt down her entire belly and no lumps or bumps (woohoo lol)

I'd understand her either losing a bit of weight or at least staying the same but putting it on just seems strange

Ive been back and forward to google while writing this but can only find them losing weight.

So why would a Royal put on weight when eating half of what she should be?

Before her shed she was eating 60-90g every 7 days without fail and only put on 175g
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 14:47:55
great.
deadmansfinger Posted - 05/12/2010 : 20:09:35
I am feeding small rats. The one he is getting tonight weighs 58g. I'll get some medium rats around 80g this week and work him up from there.
Royalbob Posted - 05/12/2010 : 18:03:09
no worries glad it helped. B.E's hard work. 80 - 100g is perfect. try the lighter side first as to big a jump can also put them off feeding. some just dont like change. What size/weight are you feeding now?
deadmansfinger Posted - 05/12/2010 : 16:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Sounds about right. definitely nothing wrong. Take a look at the sticky that Blackecho set up http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437
You can see where he is in relation to others. Just make sure your feeding appropriate (10-15% body weight) or girth of snake size meals every 7 - 10 days.

Ah I forgot about the graph, thanks for the reminder! On the graph royals his age vary from 700-1000g so with mine being 803g I am quite happy with that.

I do need to get some bigger rats though, around the 80-100g mark as even though I have moved up a size it seems the place I use sells pretty small frozen food.

Cheers,
Brian.
reptiledanny Posted - 05/12/2010 : 14:36:47
to be honest, the gaining weight part doesn't really matter if you know what i mean to a certain extent. if they gain 100 grams in 6 weeks or 25 grams in 6 weeks, some are really fast growers that some are slower growers lol, but it is nice to see how much some snakes put on in 6 weeks lol
Blackecho Posted - 05/12/2010 : 13:34:29
Agreed, nothing to worry about.
Royalbob Posted - 05/12/2010 : 13:16:45
Sounds about right. definitely nothing wrong. Take a look at the sticky that Blackecho set up http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437
You can see where he is in relation to others. Just make sure your feeding appropriate (10-15% body weight) or girth of snake size meals every 7 - 10 days.
deadmansfinger Posted - 04/12/2010 : 21:19:34
When I got KingBob 6 weeks ago he weighed 778g. I just weighed him today as he's pooed this week now and is due feeding tomorrow so should be fairly empty and he weighs 803g. Do you think 25g weight gain over 6 weeks is sufficient? I calculated he's eaten around 200-250g of food over the 5 weeks.
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 19:33:35
HA! I'll waste the rats thanks lol
n/a Posted - 04/12/2010 : 19:25:21
quote:
Originally posted by nok1888

Its ok BATS I tend to confuse people lol

I think I should get a corn with the amount of rats n mice thats getting wasted lol

I think I'll try change her to every 10 days over the winter I'll see how she goes over the next couple of weeks

LOL - same here!

There you are - your missus can buy you a corn for Christmas and, dare I say it - you can buy her a tarantula ...sorry, couldn't resist ...
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 19:15:23
Its ok BATS I tend to confuse people lol

I think I should get a corn with the amount of rats n mice thats getting wasted lol

I think I'll try change her to every 10 days over the winter I'll see how she goes over the next couple of weeks
n/a Posted - 04/12/2010 : 19:09:40
LOL - luckily I found A&N - small mice are 22p, rat weaners from 35p and large mice 47p - and living alone I have full control over freezer space.

Sorry by the way, Nok, I have been reading all the thread but somehow missed out on the fact that Orlina's not feeding at the moment ...

I'd got the impression she was refusing rats but would take a mouse but of course you started out saying that she's gained weight despite fasting ... sorry! Think I got confused with some earlier posts of yours about multis and the fact that she was eating mice but disliked rats, like Shahi, who in fact has refused two meals since his last shed - but he's still a big chunky lad.

Could it be this cold weather, I wonder, or the onset of the breeding season that's causing both Orlina's and Shahi's fasts? It's the typical time of year, and Orlina is an adult and in my house, two adult females have recently arrived.

No doubt they will both start feeding when they feel like it - they're royals! Lol - that's why I've got those greedy corns - in future I'll try Shahi on corn feeding day, and if he refuses, one of the gannets can recycle the mouse!

But again good luck with Orlina's new feeding regime.
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 18:40:48
BATS it must cost you a fortune on 8 snakes lol
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 18:39:31
Thats her weighed, 1283g so Orlina must have been 900-950g (taking that the old scales were 50-100g too low depending what weight I tried) 9 weeks ago and shes put on 300g+, never eaten for 4 weeks so thats roughly 50g a week she put on and she was feeding on 2-3 xl mice a week so thats 60-90g worth of food, shed once and emptied once at shed so I spose looking at the average its not too bad eh?

Just cleaned her out and humidity is finally at 54% cool side so I take it the aspen I got the last time was older and dryer
n/a Posted - 04/12/2010 : 16:42:00
Yes, I use A&N - they're very good and £1 each for multis has got to be the cheapest... can't fault their service either - except you do need the freezer space!

I certainly shall if two of my lot continue on mice ... plus all the corns ...

Good luck with Orlina's new feeding programme - she sounds like a nice regular feeder, just the way we want them to be!
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 16:29:13
BATS - as far as ive found out multi's adult weight is 60g which will be 2 per feed 120g which for Orlina will be good which as you said is their natural food source so they must be nutritionaly good for them.

I saw them on that A&N which is the cheapest ive found £1 each for packs of 10 which for me is half the price of weaners from local shop. I found another place selling them in singles for £2.55! and you get what they give you between 20 and 60g, so I take it a&n must be the cheapest.

Like Surahi, Orlina is 2 sometimes 3 mice a week (I dont want to give her any more in one go) and like I said she's out every tues/wed ready to feed every week since we got her exept for the 4 weeks she took nothing. I got mixed up I thought it was feeding day today (my days are all to pot the now thank god the wife keeps me right lol). I know she's out to feed because normally when her heads sticking out her hide and see's someone she rockets to the door waiting to come out lol where as feeding day she is 7-8 inches out ready to strike and doesnt move.

Now and again she seems to be waiting for more 5 days after a feed, thats how I know she's not getting what she wants.

I'll go for the multi's then a few weeks before theyre finished i'll start defrosting the multi's with a rat to see if the smell rubs off to the rat. Its the only thing I can think of.

On the plus side I just went to get a set of good scales so when I clean her out later today I'll know her proper weight

n/a Posted - 04/12/2010 : 15:32:24
I've been reading this thread with interest, because it's almost time for Surahi's first feed with me. She's 1300gm+, 4 years old, and like Orlina will only eat mice. Out of interest, if I have a rat spare one feeding day, I might offer it, but from the way you describe Orlina, Nok, and from observing my own Shahi, it seems that the unfamiliar smell of rat really turns them up if they're accustomed to mice.

I'd worked it out that Surahi would require 4 large mice every fortnight; her previous owner, who is very experienced and whose judgement I respect, prefers not to feed 4 mice at one go for fear of regurgitation, and has been feeding Surahi 2 mice per week. So that's how I'm going to continue - Surahi looks very well on it - and they're all different.

Out of interest, Nok, have you found what multis weigh? Because my supplier gives weights for rats and mice but not for multis - however, judging from the photographs showing sizes, a large multi is only the size of a rat weaner. Feeding multis might still involve several prey items - except that multis of course are a more traditional prey for royals.

Sorry if this throws up any more confusion!
nok1888 Posted - 04/12/2010 : 14:42:01
Well I was offering weaner rats I didnt want to jump straight to anything bigger, they've been 50-55g and the mice have been 30-35g (etra large so I was told). So I was aiming at 2 weaners which would have made it 100-110g which I'd be happy with but as soon as she smells them she's away, no interest at all and if I go any where near her she about breaks her neck to get away from them so Im not sure if its been something that the last owners have done or what or its just the smell.

I think Im going to have to just clear a drawer in the freezer and get multi's because 2-3 mice cant be enough for her and like I said after the 2nd or 3rd mouse shes back ready to strike. To be honest she tries to get around whatever I offer and get to my hand lol I do heat the mice/rat and more so the nose. She's also lying for a good few hours in wait so not too sure about it. I know they slow down feeding wise in the winter but every wednesday sometimes the tuesday she's out ready. When I put the rat in she does all the sneeking up on it but like I say once she gets a smell of it she goes back in to waiting position
n/a Posted - 04/12/2010 : 14:32:53
Sorry to add to the confusion (it's my chief pastime lol) but the large (ex-breeder) mice I buy are sold as weighing approx 45g ...

You're right - huge variation.
deadmansfinger Posted - 04/12/2010 : 14:15:12
I just weighed the 5 small rats I have and they range from 34g to 58g. I also bought 8 medium mice yesterday. These range from 18g to 29g which seem to be more inline with the weight of large mice.

Huge variation!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000