Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Orlina has only ever eaten half the weight of food she should be eating, 10-15% of body weight as I understand, which now should be 122-180g per feed but I know all snakes are different so lets say 100-150g per feed. She was feeding 90g before her shed 5 weeks ago. Since her shed she has fed twice, the first was 80g the second (4 weeks later) was 60g so she's eating (when she does eat) half of what she should be eating, but, she's puting more weight on than she's eating. She's not fat in the slightest but solid.

I weighed her straight after her shed she was 1025g empty. Since then she's ate 140g in 5 weeks but put on 200g? I know its only 60g and Im not worried because according to the graph on the weight thread she's bang on the lightest she should be so Im glad she's puting on weight its just HOW she's puting it on thats puzzling me.

Lets say she keeps 100% of the weight of the food 70% fat/energy and 30% to waste (for example) she should still have only put on 140g and she's quite active at night so she is using energy and is not got any fat on her she's just solid. She's drinking and peeing fine.

I had the horrific thought she might be gravid but she's never been near another snake since september at least and to make sure I felt down her entire belly and no lumps or bumps (woohoo lol)

I'd understand her either losing a bit of weight or at least staying the same but putting it on just seems strange

Ive been back and forward to google while writing this but can only find them losing weight.

So why would a Royal put on weight when eating half of what she should be?

Before her shed she was eating 60-90g every 7 days without fail and only put on 175g

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:27:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, don't worry about the 10-15% guide, it is just that and by the time they're that sort of size they tend to knwo what they want. Is it that she wont take any larger or that you're not offering her larger?

wrt gaining 60g, your scales were wrong at some point , yes they can put on a few grams from drinking but not that much.

How old is she btw?

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:02:50  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow, gaining 200 grams in 5 weeks, that it alot lol, u sure she didn't have another snake in with her that shes eaten lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's early 2008 45" long

I sit for hours offering her food not all at once though, if she takes a mouse I'll wait 45-60 mins (I learned she wont take any sooner) between mice. She'll take one(eventually), constrict, leave it for 15 mins while sniffing around her hide n log then goes back for it. Once she gets it down she goes back ready to strike again then after a little sniffing she'll take another then settle back down ready to strike then take another (sometimes) so she's always offered more food because I never think 2 is enough. Ive tried n tried to offer weaner rats but as soon as she smells them she retreats and if I go any closer she tries her hardest to get away from it even though I never go too close to her so I always let her come to it. Its feeding day today so Im going to defrost weaners alone so no mice smells so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Just tested my scales with weights and the scales are reading lower than what they should. I put weights on which is the same as what i thought Orlina is 1250g and its only reading 1150(ish)g but when I tried a 500g it was bang on 500 so the heavier the weight the more they are out (obviously) so ALL my weights have been out. You would have thought I'd have tested them sooner lol

So by all that she's defenately put on weight but just dont know exactly how much now but she must have been a bit heavier than 1025 after the shed

Looks like a trip to the shop for better scales

Edited by - nok1888 on 04/12/2010 12:08:48
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:07:24  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, so surely that means she is heavier than what u thought?? or am i getting confused now

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny m8 you cant be more confused than I am lol

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well its my scales, been testing them with all different weights. anything under 1 kg is spot on, everything over is out so the only thing I KNOW is that she was around the 850g mark when we got her and now its anyones guess lol

She has put on a bit of weight though cause you can feel it by holding her

I'll get better scales n see

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  13:12:45  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, i suppose u must be more confused than me lol
so if 1250 grams is 1150 then she must be heavier than 1200 grams lol
(using my great math skill there lol)

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 04/12/2010 13:12:53
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  13:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Nok, can I just check what size rats you are feeding? You said 100-150g per feed so that could be a medium-large rat or are you feeding mice I wasn't sure by what you said above? The reason I am asking is that my royal weighs around 800g and I have just upped him to small rats which should be up to 80g so this fits into the 10% you were talking about.

He was on weaner rats and he scoffed one of these easily so this week he got his first small rat and that too was scoffed quickly and he was still out prowling so now I am wondering what I should be feeding him. I have only had him 6 weeks. First week he was blue so I didn't feed him. Since then he has taken 5 straight feeds, 4 weaners and 1 small rat. Girth wise he is wider than a small rat, so I wondered if I should be moving him up to a medium rat?

Sorry to hijak your thread.
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  13:50:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Depends where you buy them from too, my small rats are 80-150g roughly.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  14:15:12  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just weighed the 5 small rats I have and they range from 34g to 58g. I also bought 8 medium mice yesterday. These range from 18g to 29g which seem to be more inline with the weight of large mice.

Huge variation!

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  14:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to add to the confusion (it's my chief pastime lol) but the large (ex-breeder) mice I buy are sold as weighing approx 45g ...

You're right - huge variation.

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  14:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was offering weaner rats I didnt want to jump straight to anything bigger, they've been 50-55g and the mice have been 30-35g (etra large so I was told). So I was aiming at 2 weaners which would have made it 100-110g which I'd be happy with but as soon as she smells them she's away, no interest at all and if I go any where near her she about breaks her neck to get away from them so Im not sure if its been something that the last owners have done or what or its just the smell.

I think Im going to have to just clear a drawer in the freezer and get multi's because 2-3 mice cant be enough for her and like I said after the 2nd or 3rd mouse shes back ready to strike. To be honest she tries to get around whatever I offer and get to my hand lol I do heat the mice/rat and more so the nose. She's also lying for a good few hours in wait so not too sure about it. I know they slow down feeding wise in the winter but every wednesday sometimes the tuesday she's out ready. When I put the rat in she does all the sneeking up on it but like I say once she gets a smell of it she goes back in to waiting position

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  15:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading this thread with interest, because it's almost time for Surahi's first feed with me. She's 1300gm+, 4 years old, and like Orlina will only eat mice. Out of interest, if I have a rat spare one feeding day, I might offer it, but from the way you describe Orlina, Nok, and from observing my own Shahi, it seems that the unfamiliar smell of rat really turns them up if they're accustomed to mice.

I'd worked it out that Surahi would require 4 large mice every fortnight; her previous owner, who is very experienced and whose judgement I respect, prefers not to feed 4 mice at one go for fear of regurgitation, and has been feeding Surahi 2 mice per week. So that's how I'm going to continue - Surahi looks very well on it - and they're all different.

Out of interest, Nok, have you found what multis weigh? Because my supplier gives weights for rats and mice but not for multis - however, judging from the photographs showing sizes, a large multi is only the size of a rat weaner. Feeding multis might still involve several prey items - except that multis of course are a more traditional prey for royals.

Sorry if this throws up any more confusion!

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BATS - as far as ive found out multi's adult weight is 60g which will be 2 per feed 120g which for Orlina will be good which as you said is their natural food source so they must be nutritionaly good for them.

I saw them on that A&N which is the cheapest ive found £1 each for packs of 10 which for me is half the price of weaners from local shop. I found another place selling them in singles for £2.55! and you get what they give you between 20 and 60g, so I take it a&n must be the cheapest.

Like Surahi, Orlina is 2 sometimes 3 mice a week (I dont want to give her any more in one go) and like I said she's out every tues/wed ready to feed every week since we got her exept for the 4 weeks she took nothing. I got mixed up I thought it was feeding day today (my days are all to pot the now thank god the wife keeps me right lol). I know she's out to feed because normally when her heads sticking out her hide and see's someone she rockets to the door waiting to come out lol where as feeding day she is 7-8 inches out ready to strike and doesnt move.

Now and again she seems to be waiting for more 5 days after a feed, thats how I know she's not getting what she wants.

I'll go for the multi's then a few weeks before theyre finished i'll start defrosting the multi's with a rat to see if the smell rubs off to the rat. Its the only thing I can think of.

On the plus side I just went to get a set of good scales so when I clean her out later today I'll know her proper weight

Edited by - nok1888 on 04/12/2010 16:31:43
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I use A&N - they're very good and £1 each for multis has got to be the cheapest... can't fault their service either - except you do need the freezer space!

I certainly shall if two of my lot continue on mice ... plus all the corns ...

Good luck with Orlina's new feeding programme - she sounds like a nice regular feeder, just the way we want them to be!

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  18:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats her weighed, 1283g so Orlina must have been 900-950g (taking that the old scales were 50-100g too low depending what weight I tried) 9 weeks ago and shes put on 300g+, never eaten for 4 weeks so thats roughly 50g a week she put on and she was feeding on 2-3 xl mice a week so thats 60-90g worth of food, shed once and emptied once at shed so I spose looking at the average its not too bad eh?

Just cleaned her out and humidity is finally at 54% cool side so I take it the aspen I got the last time was older and dryer

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  18:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BATS it must cost you a fortune on 8 snakes lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - luckily I found A&N - small mice are 22p, rat weaners from 35p and large mice 47p - and living alone I have full control over freezer space.

Sorry by the way, Nok, I have been reading all the thread but somehow missed out on the fact that Orlina's not feeding at the moment ...

I'd got the impression she was refusing rats but would take a mouse but of course you started out saying that she's gained weight despite fasting ... sorry! Think I got confused with some earlier posts of yours about multis and the fact that she was eating mice but disliked rats, like Shahi, who in fact has refused two meals since his last shed - but he's still a big chunky lad.

Could it be this cold weather, I wonder, or the onset of the breeding season that's causing both Orlina's and Shahi's fasts? It's the typical time of year, and Orlina is an adult and in my house, two adult females have recently arrived.

No doubt they will both start feeding when they feel like it - they're royals! Lol - that's why I've got those greedy corns - in future I'll try Shahi on corn feeding day, and if he refuses, one of the gannets can recycle the mouse!

But again good luck with Orlina's new feeding regime.

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its ok BATS I tend to confuse people lol

I think I should get a corn with the amount of rats n mice thats getting wasted lol

I think I'll try change her to every 10 days over the winter I'll see how she goes over the next couple of weeks

Edited by - nok1888 on 04/12/2010 19:16:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nok1888

Its ok BATS I tend to confuse people lol

I think I should get a corn with the amount of rats n mice thats getting wasted lol

I think I'll try change her to every 10 days over the winter I'll see how she goes over the next couple of weeks

LOL - same here!

There you are - your missus can buy you a corn for Christmas and, dare I say it - you can buy her a tarantula ...sorry, couldn't resist ...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000