The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Viv size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
drchino Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:21:59
It's quite a while before I can get a royal but I'm already making plans for the viv! I was initially planning to keep it in a rub while its young but I might just get a viv and partition it, slowly enlarging when need be.

My question is, what size viv would be best for an adult; 3 or 4ft? I've found mixed answers online so am not sure!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
drchino Posted - 06/12/2010 : 12:21:44
Royals are the complete opposite of my corn, she's got loads of nice little hides but she just sleeps under one of the plants almost in plain view!

Thanks BATS, I think it should be ok then
n/a Posted - 06/12/2010 : 11:13:54
quote:
Originally posted by drchino

ok thanks, going on the length ratio I figured that a 3 footer would be best but I'd seen on some sites that some people recommended 4 footers. Figured I'd speak to the experts cos I trust them a bit more!

Just gotta decide on whether I'm going to leave my corn in the exo terra viv or just get a 3ft viv stack... Do you think a wooden viv could hold the weight of one of the big boy exo terras?

A good guide to whether something's too heavy is, will the glass doors of the viv slide easily? I used to have a 60 litre fish tank on top of one viv ... umm, the doors were a little tight, but still ok ... off the top of my head that would be a weight of 60 kilos +.
Royalbob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 10:55:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

So out of interest, at what point does a nice small area turn into a cruel small area?

Well personally i keep my royals in rubs. i change the rub size as stated above when the snake is longer than the length + depth of rub. I change the hide when the snake can no longer squeeze it's whole body in and sometimes a little longer. This is not me being tight or anything but i have experimented with two different size hides of the same make side by side and the snake always chooses the snugger fitting hide. It's just the species. Again thats just how i do it.
Blackecho Posted - 06/12/2010 : 10:48:43
Royals live down disused rodent burrows in the wild (well they are disused by the time the Royal has finished!), so they would be really tight small spaces.
Kelfezond Posted - 06/12/2010 : 10:09:09
So out of interest, at what point does a nice small area turn into a cruel small area?
Blackecho Posted - 06/12/2010 : 09:57:55
Some snakes (like corns) may appreciate a little more space but as above, Royals are a little agoraphobic and like things nice and small.
drchino Posted - 06/12/2010 : 09:51:59
ok thanks, going on the length ratio I figured that a 3 footer would be best but I'd seen on some sites that some people recommended 4 footers. Figured I'd speak to the experts cos I trust them a bit more!

Just gotta decide on whether I'm going to leave my corn in the exo terra viv or just get a 3ft viv stack... Do you think a wooden viv could hold the weight of one of the big boy exo terras?
Royalbob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 09:27:31
For an adult 3' is perfect. rough guide length of snake = length + depth of viv. Average royal is 4-4 half ft.
Remember they feel safer and have a much better feeding response when they are in smaller spaces. Same goes for there hides they
will choose the one that thy can just squeeze in.
reptiledanny Posted - 06/12/2010 : 07:53:34
i plan to keep all my royals in a 3ft viv, as they like the tight spaces lol
Blackecho Posted - 06/12/2010 : 07:04:02
3' is ample.
siaddy23 Posted - 06/12/2010 : 02:03:53
I think its down to preference, a 3ft viv is plenty large enough for the majority of royals and 4ft vivs are also fine but just need filling up a bit more with foliage and hiding places etc.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000