The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New baby Royal ... very inquisitive- normal ??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zincubus Posted - 20/01/2011 : 00:25:32
Hey , just had my new baby Royal Python delivered tonight , only about 3 months old and about 15 " long . Anyways , after a quick 2 minute "hold" I put her in her new home with the idea of simply leaving her to settle for a week . The thing is she has been checking every nook and corner of the 12" cube viv for nearly 3 hours now , just wondering if she's just "ultra" inquisitive or could she be hungry ?

She is actually due her weekly feed as it happens but I was going to miss it and let her settle for 7 days.

Shall I risk trying a feed tomorrow ?

Is it normal " new home" settling in do you think ?

I thought she'd immediatley go under a hide and dissappear for a few days as Ive read that they are no so active as my Corn snakes.

Any thoughts ?

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zincubus Posted - 11/02/2011 : 00:58:15
Third feed tonight , another small mouse warmed up in very water , I put her in a decent sized plastic box , dropped the mouse in with her an she grabbed it instantly !!!!

No more dangling the mouse with a pair of tongs. LOL
Zincubus Posted - 06/02/2011 : 21:24:21
Thanks !
n/a Posted - 06/02/2011 : 11:44:54
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

I may go down the sphagnum moss route , she actually looks as though she has a tiny bit of dry skin /scales on the top of her head so hopefully it's a tiny bit of left over shed which will drop off next shed ??

Yeah, Shahi, who I got as a hatchling, had a couple of tiny crozzly bits on his back which bothered me until BE and Robert assured me that the problem would resolve itself after a few sheds, and it did.

It's only if the skin was round her tailtip or on an eyecap (which your girl's obviously isn't) that you'd need to try some intervention with bathing, shed ease etc.
Zincubus Posted - 06/02/2011 : 08:58:33
I may go down the sphagnum moss route , she actually looks as though she has a tiny bit of dry skin /scales on the top of her head so hopefully it's a tiny bit of left over shed which will drop off next shed ??
n/a Posted - 05/02/2011 : 14:00:18
I don't spray at all (I'm in rainy Wakefield lol.) And I don't use humidity gauges either - I would if I had a GTP or any other snake that required precise humidity.

If a snake has been blue and cleared, I give a damp hide and put the water bowl in the hot end (they are all in vivs.) Shahi, the male, has this arrangement permanently as his first sheds were scruffy. I provided Saada, the 09 female with the same arrangement when clear, and she shed nicely; Surahi, my other girl, who's an 06, hasn't shed since her arrival in Nov.

This is what works for me - I'm not saying it's writ in stone. Every snake is different and other people, who are often more experienced, have other methods, which they find work for them.
Zincubus Posted - 05/02/2011 : 11:56:19
Also I haven't got a humidity gauge at the moment , so a bit wary about getting the viv too humid.
Zincubus Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:41:03
Should I be spraying the viv , incidentally .

Based in Manchester , and it's always raining ......
n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:43:36
LOL - royals are NOT boring!

Sounds like she's a nice young alert royal!
Zincubus Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:33:09
She never seems to sleep , every time I have a peep she's there looking straight back at me.:)

Who said Royal are boring. LOL
n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:57:47
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

Update

I been handling her for 5 minutes each night , she starts climbing the front of the viv , not sure she's indicating she wants to come out or if she's hungry.

Second feed tonight, I got her out as usual and put her straight in a plastic container , then waved the mouse in front of her , again she struck after bout two seconds !!

Only hitch was she held it across the mouse's middle and took about ten minutes to work her jaws down to one end before swallowing.

LOL royals are a bit thick! They often do that lol. Congrats on the feeding, sounds like you've got things right!
Zincubus Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:48:50
Update

I been handling her for 5 minutes each night , she starts climbing the front of the viv , not sure she's indicating she wants to come out or if she's hungry.

Second feed tonight, I got her out as usual and put her straight in a plastic container , then waved the mouse in front of her , again she struck after bout two seconds !!

Only hitch was she held it across the mouse's middle and took about ten minutes to work her jaws down to one end before swallowing.
Robert Posted - 30/01/2011 : 18:08:10
She sounds fine to me too :) pleased she's eaten, I have found that once mine get to about 200 -250g they transition onto rat weaners without a problem, enjoy your new royal :)
Royalbob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 17:48:35
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

congrats, just a suggestion try and get her on rats. so much easier in the long run especially for females.

Seconded. I recently acquired a 1300gm female who's been allowed to carry on with mice. Time will tell whether she will agree to change, but in spring I'll be trying Royalbob's tip about washing the rat and leaving it in mouse bedding, along with jacketing the rat in mouse skin. If not, she will be on multiple feeds of big mice for the rest of her natural. Luckily I've got the time, and a source of very cheap ex-breeder mice, but at that size, to feed just one appropriately sized rat would be an awful lot more convenient. Many of them scarcely notice the change. Good luck.

One of my girls is still on mice, she's 1850g now. She takes 4 ex breeder mice at a time. Long process lol. she has taken a few with the wash and bedding method but i'm never consistent as there are no mice selling shops to get bedding from that close to me.
I keep meaning to try the jacket method looks like a great idea.
n/a Posted - 30/01/2011 : 15:37:46
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

congrats, just a suggestion try and get her on rats. so much easier in the long run especially for females.

Seconded. I recently acquired a 1300gm female who's been allowed to carry on with mice. Time will tell whether she will agree to change, but in spring I'll be trying Royalbob's tip about washing the rat and leaving it in mouse bedding, along with jacketing the rat in mouse skin. If not, she will be on multiple feeds of big mice for the rest of her natural. Luckily I've got the time, and a source of very cheap ex-breeder mice, but at that size, to feed just one appropriately sized rat would be an awful lot more convenient. Many of them scarcely notice the change. Good luck.
Royalbob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 15:18:32
n/a Posted - 30/01/2011 : 15:01:44
She sounds absolutely fine to me, and congrats on the feed!
Zincubus Posted - 30/01/2011 : 14:56:33
Update
She took her first feed on Wednesday , a small mouse , just a week after I got her . She struck fed after about 3 seconds LOL

I handled her yesterday for the first time and she was lovely and calm . I was slightly anxious as she's first non Corn snake .:)

She's also been kept kept in a RUB and has not been handled much at all by the breeders.
Zincubus Posted - 21/01/2011 : 18:10:56
..... Pleasantly surprised tbh , she never seems to sleep :)
Zincubus Posted - 21/01/2011 : 18:05:44
She's not really moving about much , she's lying in the quiet , back corner . Just whenever I peep in the viv - her head is poking out , as though she's taking an interest in things .
anatess Posted - 21/01/2011 : 16:18:00
Be careful with what you see as being "inquisitive".

As you learn the behaviors of your royal python, you will find that there is "inquisitive" and there is "stressed".

A new surrounding or a change in surrounding is a major contributor to stress.

Yes, royals are boring - they don't move much - so we get really excited when they're moving a lot... but this can be a bad sign.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000