Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New baby Royal ... very inquisitive- normal ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  00:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey , just had my new baby Royal Python delivered tonight , only about 3 months old and about 15 " long . Anyways , after a quick 2 minute "hold" I put her in her new home with the idea of simply leaving her to settle for a week . The thing is she has been checking every nook and corner of the 12" cube viv for nearly 3 hours now , just wondering if she's just "ultra" inquisitive or could she be hungry ?

She is actually due her weekly feed as it happens but I was going to miss it and let her settle for 7 days.

Shall I risk trying a feed tomorrow ?

Is it normal " new home" settling in do you think ?

I thought she'd immediatley go under a hide and dissappear for a few days as Ive read that they are no so active as my Corn snakes.

Any thoughts ?

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  00:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep they will Really explore any new surroundings. I've fed mine and they've taken before 7 days they are all different but I would give a few days at least.
Congrats and good luck.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  07:52:26  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they are very nosey and very curious, they say when you cklean the viv you should move it around every once in a while and that will keep them ocupied for a while :) i used to feed miy new royal every 5 days, like bob said they are all different :)
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  12:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine baby Royal fed the day after getting it home from the shop. It was inquisitive for a while but then settled down. Mine feeds right up to, and through shed cycles, even when heavily in blue. They're all different.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  14:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are always inquisitive and explore any new environment they soon settle though, the usual advice is to leave a few days to settle before feeding however most of my new arrivals have fed first night I've got them, it wouldn't do any harm to attempt a feed but if it doesn't take leave for a week before attempting again.

Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  15:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well 2 days later snd she seems to gave settled in nicely . Despite two lovely hides provided , one warm and one cool , she has chosen the back corner to male basecamp :)
I've blacked out the sides and back of the viv but everytime have a peek at her she's got her head out having a look around . I thought shed just curl up and sleep all day , nicely surprised .
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  16:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful with what you see as being "inquisitive".

As you learn the behaviors of your royal python, you will find that there is "inquisitive" and there is "stressed".

A new surrounding or a change in surrounding is a major contributor to stress.

Yes, royals are boring - they don't move much - so we get really excited when they're moving a lot... but this can be a bad sign.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  18:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's not really moving about much , she's lying in the quiet , back corner . Just whenever I peep in the viv - her head is poking out , as though she's taking an interest in things .
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  18:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..... Pleasantly surprised tbh , she never seems to sleep :)
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update
She took her first feed on Wednesday , a small mouse , just a week after I got her . She struck fed after about 3 seconds LOL

I handled her yesterday for the first time and she was lovely and calm . I was slightly anxious as she's first non Corn snake .:)

She's also been kept kept in a RUB and has not been handled much at all by the breeders.

Edited by - Zincubus on 30/01/2011 14:57:14
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  15:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She sounds absolutely fine to me, and congrats on the feed!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  15:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats, just a suggestion try and get her on rats. so much easier in the long run especially for females.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  15:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

congrats, just a suggestion try and get her on rats. so much easier in the long run especially for females.

Seconded. I recently acquired a 1300gm female who's been allowed to carry on with mice. Time will tell whether she will agree to change, but in spring I'll be trying Royalbob's tip about washing the rat and leaving it in mouse bedding, along with jacketing the rat in mouse skin. If not, she will be on multiple feeds of big mice for the rest of her natural. Luckily I've got the time, and a source of very cheap ex-breeder mice, but at that size, to feed just one appropriately sized rat would be an awful lot more convenient. Many of them scarcely notice the change. Good luck.

Edited by - n/a on 30/01/2011 17:20:08
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  17:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Seconded. I recently acquired a 1300gm female who's been allowed to carry on with mice. Time will tell whether she will agree to change, but in spring I'll be trying Royalbob's tip about washing the rat and leaving it in mouse bedding, along with jacketing the rat in mouse skin. If not, she will be on multiple feeds of big mice for the rest of her natural. Luckily I've got the time, and a source of very cheap ex-breeder mice, but at that size, to feed just one appropriately sized rat would be an awful lot more convenient. Many of them scarcely notice the change. Good luck.

One of my girls is still on mice, she's 1850g now. She takes 4 ex breeder mice at a time. Long process lol. she has taken a few with the wash and bedding method but i'm never consistent as there are no mice selling shops to get bedding from that close to me.
I keep meaning to try the jacket method looks like a great idea.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  18:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She sounds fine to me too :) pleased she's eaten, I have found that once mine get to about 200 -250g they transition onto rat weaners without a problem, enjoy your new royal :)

Edited by - Robert on 30/01/2011 18:09:14
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update

I been handling her for 5 minutes each night , she starts climbing the front of the viv , not sure she's indicating she wants to come out or if she's hungry.

Second feed tonight, I got her out as usual and put her straight in a plastic container , then waved the mouse in front of her , again she struck after bout two seconds !!

Only hitch was she held it across the mouse's middle and took about ten minutes to work her jaws down to one end before swallowing.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

Update

I been handling her for 5 minutes each night , she starts climbing the front of the viv , not sure she's indicating she wants to come out or if she's hungry.

Second feed tonight, I got her out as usual and put her straight in a plastic container , then waved the mouse in front of her , again she struck after bout two seconds !!

Only hitch was she held it across the mouse's middle and took about ten minutes to work her jaws down to one end before swallowing.

LOL royals are a bit thick! They often do that lol. Congrats on the feeding, sounds like you've got things right!

Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  22:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She never seems to sleep , every time I have a peep she's there looking straight back at me.:)

Who said Royal are boring. LOL
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  22:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - royals are NOT boring!

Sounds like she's a nice young alert royal!

Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I be spraying the viv , incidentally .

Based in Manchester , and it's always raining ......

Edited by - Zincubus on 04/02/2011 21:42:42
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I haven't got a humidity gauge at the moment , so a bit wary about getting the viv too humid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000