The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 wood viv stacks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martinking6 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 13:18:01
Hiya

I was wondering if someone with better knowledge can look over the viv quality in the link below, the guy can make the vivs to whatever size I specifywhich is nice as am looking to make a stack system ready for my snakes growing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290536846311&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D290536846311%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

He also says they will be fine with the humid conditions of the brazilian rainbow boa any thoughts ?

Also how do you go on with using a heat mat if that was your desired choice of heat as in how do you use it without it burning the snake as it will be inside the viv ?

Martin
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 01/03/2011 : 21:50:46
Thats a good point, toughened glass is critical but expensive.
blackskull Posted - 01/03/2011 : 17:37:33
i would also check if the glass is toughened.
BlueDragon Posted - 01/03/2011 : 10:56:02
Yeah, the back looks thin which could lead to heat loss? Also I can imagine that it might begin to warp with high humidity levels. But another problem is that it only seems to have vents at the top. I wouldn't be totaly comfortable with that as the air flow wouldn't be great. Other than that though it seems fair enough. If he can make them the way you want maybe you could ask for vents in the bottom of the back pannel as well?

Even a statted heatmat can cause nasty burns to an adult Royal, I wouldn't recomend using one for any adult heavy bodied snake.
sandi Posted - 01/03/2011 : 08:30:37
I just priced up building a 4 ft viv from 18mm stock and it comes in at £75 for the board alone!

I would ask him for some specifications before ordering.
martinking6 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 22:23:11
Thanks for the input

He does buy it now yes £90

Martin
sandi Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:20:03
I looked at this guys vivs last week, not sure how he does it for the money as the MFCboard costs more than that for a 4ft viv. Suspect its either thinner stock or as blackscull said, mdf back to save money. Does he give a 'buy it now' price or bidding only?
blackskull Posted - 28/02/2011 : 17:48:31
looking at the picks they look ok to me. im a joiner and even i wouldn't build and sell for this price so price seems good too.

the only thing i can see a prob with is that the backs look like bare mdf. not mch of a prob tho as it would sealing unless the seller does this
hodgie Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:07:06
quote:
Originally posted by martinking6

Also how do you go on with using a heat mat if that was your desired choice of heat as in how do you use it without it burning the snake as it will be inside the viv ?

Martin

Heat mats like all heating systems need to have a stat fitted. I have two of mine in vivs with heat mats, I use paper on top of the heat mat as i find the snakes will move any substrate on top of it.
n/a Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:35:07
Wow - that is a nice price - AND free local delivery?? (I live in Wakefield myself - might look into that so thanks for posting.)

It's hard to tell the quality just from photographs, but it looks okay to me at first glance.

There's only one thing ... on my travels I read somewhere that wooden vivs aren't recommended for snakes needing high humidity.
(There again, this is only what I've read - I've never actually kept a snake needing high humidity.)

There's a guy over on RFUK who runs a company called Rhinovivs and who I believe makes traditional vivs but out of plastic or similar - but don't know what his prices are like. (Amendment - his website is no longer available but there are other companies such as Herptek, I believe.)

Good luck with your quest.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000