The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 To stat or not to stat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 08:50:29
I'm going to start back in the beginning with this thread, my boyfriend has had Margwar for 10 years, he has always had a heat mat, without a thermostat, up until about a year or so ago, maybe a bit longer we had no trouble, until one day we noticed the heat mat had stopped working, we replaced it. The problem we now have is how hot this new heat mat is getting, the old heat mat was just warm to the touch with 7 sheets of newspaper on top (yes we counted so it was the same each time and we didn't block off too much heat with more sheets than necessary or vice versa) Any way, the new heat mat (until recently) had 12 sheets of newspaper, a piece of probably about 5mm thick wood, and it was still a little to hot, so we've been trying various things to cool it down, adding more things on top to prevent as much heat getting through.
At the moment, as well as the 12 sheets of newspaper, there is also a sandstone paving slab on top of it, the slab warmed up just nicely, but now after a week or so, I personally think it's getting way too hot again, so fake leaves over the top now to try reduce the temperature again.
I'm debating just getting a new mat, as I said before we never had any trouble with the old ones, but knowing my luck I'd end up getting on that got too hot again. I've been looking at thermostats and I'm stuck between the mat stat and the temperature stat.
We have those plain manual sticky thermometers in there, they read about 70F all day, both ends, occasionally the cold end will get hotter due to the window being next to the warm end >.< (Bit of a fail I know) But he eats fine, he sheds fine, he poos fine, and he's happy to be handled, and he's been doing good for the 10 years he's been in the vivarium.
What would people suggest in regards to the heat mat, he does use it, he uses both ends of his vivarium, so I'm assuming the temperatures are right, but the main thing that I'm a little confused about is, if I have the probe directly on the mat, what temperature do I set it to?
I wish that old mat was still working!

Edit : Because I forgot to mention that he also has a standard house hold bulb for lighting, which we both agree isn't needed, but makes viewing him a lot easier! I don't think it gives off that much heat though to be honest.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 10/03/2011 : 11:08:03
quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I find this stat business infuriating.

If we can buy an electric blanket with heating controls, why can't we buy a reptile heat mat with similar controls? (Some may say, well, it would cost more. Fine, that's fair enough. I'd have to pay the extra anyway, when I buy the stat.)

Your old heating mat sounds very similar to a mat I had 20 years ago for my cats, that just gave out gentle heat. If you place a hand on one of the reptile heating mats sold nowadays, the heat it emits, unstatted, is frightening.

Also these mats, even when statted, may still overheat due to thermal blocking ie anything thick placed on top. (Again, if I can bask on my electric blanket all night, secure in the knowledge of its safety cut out, why can't a reptile heat mat be manufactured with the same safety guard?)

It does my head in, so it does. But ... the fact remains ... we have to have stats ...grr!

I know exactly what you mean! It would be so much easier if they came with some kind of control, something simple just to turn it off when it got too hot and some kind of alarm, but alas.
I just checked the heat of the rock, and it's a lot hotter than what I first thought, so I'm going to get a thermometer stat, going to check with a newly opened place first (They've got 15% off habistat's) and see how expensive they are, probably work out cheaper to drive to them than buy offline.
I just went to one place that sells reptiles, they sell everything but stats......... Annoying!

Think about how expensive that would work out though. 1 stat can handle multiple mats, which are designed to be on the outside of any enclosure for obvious reasons. A stat doesn't cost a lot for what it does and should really be part of your costing up before taking on a reptile. Anyway before i get into trouble i'll leave it there.
blackskull Posted - 10/03/2011 : 07:18:37
personaly i wound never use a mat with an adult royal for the obvious reasons
just by spending a bit more on a heat builb and guard to prevent the risk of burns will save you the cost of any possible vet bills due to burns. just because the mat hasn't failed yet doesn't mean it wont
Royalbob Posted - 10/03/2011 : 01:11:51
Any heat source In your set up needs a stat. Any ball python care sheet will tell you the
correct temps at which to keep your royal.
The mat could of easily of overheated instead of failing to work. Mats are an electrical product
that are not fully waterproof so don't belong inside of a viv with a heavy bodied snake which
produces a lot of urine.
AddicksGlenn Posted - 09/03/2011 : 21:09:06
To stat or Not to stat, that is the question.

This picture gives the answer.

Is it worth the risk????

Thermal burn, due to un-statted mat. She made a full recovery and is doing well, but it was close.

Lotabob Posted - 09/03/2011 : 20:34:38
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

one thing this post does show is the importance of stats, Margwar used a mat unstated for years without any problem, but a new mat was pushing out much more heat. sometimes it's easy for us new snake keepers to forget that the stat isn't just there to keep a stable temp on your heater, it's also a life saver for your snake if the mat throws a wobbler,or if you change your matto a higher wattage. The stat if set correctly will switch off the mat before you get faced with a burned snake and a large vet bill.

Very good point.
scubadude Posted - 09/03/2011 : 20:33:11
one thing this post does show is the importance of stats, Margwar used a mat unstated for years without any problem, but a new mat was pushing out much more heat. sometimes it's easy for us new snake keepers to forget that the stat isn't just there to keep a stable temp on your heater, it's also a life saver for your snake if the mat throws a wobbler,or if you change your matto a higher wattage. The stat if set correctly will switch off the mat before you get faced with a burned snake and a large vet bill.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 19:24:55
quote:

Hi margwar get one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-Thermometer-with-Probe-fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ140468885538QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=216510357098&rvr_id=216510357098&cguid=8b639aee12e0a0aa12f41764ff870afa elastic band onto your mat probe and use this to set the stat, the dials on the mat stats and mini stats aren't exactly accurate mine reads 35 degrees on the dial and the thermometer reads 31.9 degres and i've checked it's calibration, hopefully that will help.

I've looked at these! I think they'll be the next purchase, for the stat.
I know the standard manual exoterra ones aren't really any good.

quote:

all my lot are in RUBs on heat mats and have no problem at all keeping warm ends at the required temps and ambients as they should be, but always had a problem controlling temps in a Faun.

The problem isn't really keeping the ambient temperature, that's good, as I've already said, it's just the heat mat is getting too hot, so I'm getting a stat to sort that out.
As my boyfriend's just said, Fauns are hard to do as they are raised up from the floor a little, we had the same problem with our praying mantis and our scorpion.
Lotabob Posted - 09/03/2011 : 19:23:18
Just a new process for me to be honest give me a vivarium anyday but my RUBs are almost there now. Over cautious I suppose. Though my thermometers have been delayed (cornish crisp Co will not be getting my business again) by a week so far so I'm using temporary dial ones, there are no snakes in the RUBs so figured it would be OK just for testing before the final setup is erm set up. Fauns are like putting the heating on in a convertible, waste of time. Wouldn't have one given.
scubadude Posted - 09/03/2011 : 19:03:15
all my lot are in RUBs on heat mats and have no problem at all keeping warm ends at the required temps and ambients as they should be, but always had a problem controlling temps in a Faun.
Lotabob Posted - 09/03/2011 : 18:17:11
I thought that you had to control the ambient temperature for a royal at around the 25 degrees mark. and then provide a basking area/hotspot at around 32 degrees. I know this is only reccommended but I think also unachievable with a heat mat. I've been setting up a RUB setup for a Boa that has very similar requirements to a Royal and I'm findng it very difficult to get the setup right.

I use habistat products, I have 3 mat-stats that have never faultered and 2 dimming stats for bulbs and they are absolutely perfect. But a stat is a stat they all do the job.
scubadude Posted - 09/03/2011 : 17:39:53
Hi margwar get one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-Thermometer-with-Probe-fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ140468885538QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=216510357098&rvr_id=216510357098&cguid=8b639aee12e0a0aa12f41764ff870afa elastic band onto your mat probe and use this to set the stat, the dials on the mat stats and mini stats aren't exactly accurate mine reads 35 degrees on the dial and the thermometer reads 31.9 degres and i've checked it's calibration, hopefully that will help.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 15:14:52
I'm sure a couple of degrees won't harm, considering he's used to not having temperature control at all. The one I've ordered does have the numbers on it, hopefully it'll be reasonably accurate though.
n/a Posted - 09/03/2011 : 15:11:37
Good luck - yeah, the numbers don't matter really. Clockwise is 'up' and anticlockwise is 'down' and you'll probably need a tiny screwdriver to adjust the thing. It will still drift, I'm afraid, or at least mine do. I have heard other people on here say that theirs keep steady though.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 15:06:10
quote:

Hi, sorry, we overlapped and yeah I overlooked the 'kinds of stat' question too. Sorry.

There is a sticky on this - I think at the beginning of this section. Also if you google 'Blue Lizard Reptile Supplies' they have a big selection of stats so you can see what you're buying. They're also very helpful and knowledgeable if you want to ring and ask questions.

AH YES - AND they've got a special offer on the microclimate ministat mat stat at the moment, I think - at least I saw it a couple of days ago.

Mat stats are pretty straightforward. When it comes to bulbs it gets a bit more complicated, although a pulse proportional stat, generally used for lightless ceramic bulbs, can be used for mats too.

One other thing that drives me mad about stats. Don't take the temp setting too seriously. Just keep tweaking it until your thermometer registers the desired temp ....stats! Aaargh!!

Good luck.

Thanks, I just ordered a micro climate mini stat, I was tempted by the mat stat from habistat, but the lack of numbers on the dial put me off, and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment and the mini stat isn't too expensive (I did look on Blue Lizard, but E-bay was a little cheaper :P)
I did read that the temperatures can be a little off and to use an individual thermometer to check the temperatures.
Hopefully that stat'll be here soon, preferably after Margwar's shed, I don't fancy changing the temperature's too much mid shedding cycle.
n/a Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:56:49
Hi, sorry, we overlapped and yeah I overlooked the 'kinds of stat' question too. Sorry.

There is a sticky on this - I think at the beginning of this section. Also if you google 'Blue Lizard Reptile Supplies' they have a big selection of stats so you can see what you're buying. They're also very helpful and knowledgeable if you want to ring and ask questions.

AH YES - AND they've got a special offer on the microclimate ministat mat stat at the moment, I think - at least I saw it a couple of days ago.

Mat stats are pretty straightforward. When it comes to bulbs it gets a bit more complicated, although a pulse proportional stat, generally used for lightless ceramic bulbs, can be used for mats too.

One other thing that drives me mad about stats. Don't take the temp setting too seriously. Just keep tweaking it until your thermometer registers the desired temp ....stats! Aaargh!!

Good luck.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:31:04
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

To be honest, and I'm sure plenty will agree, your setup would be better off with an IR bulb (or similar) at one end. Ditch the mat, its a big snake anyway and that way you'll achieve a recommended thermal gradient in the vivarium.

They may agree, but considering he has been fine for 10 years, I'm not about to go and change it all.
Snecklifter Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:25:41
To be honest, and I'm sure plenty will agree, your setup would be better off with an IR bulb (or similar) at one end. Ditch the mat, its a big snake anyway and that way you'll achieve a recommended thermal gradient in the vivarium.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 13:06:10
The ambient temperature in his viv is the same both ends, the reason I checked the temperature of his hide is because that is where he goes when he is cold, and I've used a proper thermometer to check the temperature of the mat, which was reading around 35. He doesn't bask, he's always just curled up under the hide on the hot end when he needs to, so that's why the temperature in the hide is important, the mat doesn't heat the air, or change the ambient temperature.
Snecklifter Posted - 09/03/2011 : 12:47:50
There are a few good brands on the market. I used 'Lucky Reptile' stats until I switched to bulbs.

I'm not sure why you'd want to measure the temperatures inside the hides to be honest. But anyway, you need to get decent themometers I'd say, that way you'll hace a better idea of how your mat is performing. Have the mat covering only 1/3 to 1/s of the vivarium floor and if the sensor is just above the mat, set it at the temperature you want the hot side to be. Then monitor temperature and adjust the mat temperature until the required ambient is achieved.
Margwar Posted - 09/03/2011 : 12:46:23
quote:

I find this stat business infuriating.

If we can buy an electric blanket with heating controls, why can't we buy a reptile heat mat with similar controls? (Some may say, well, it would cost more. Fine, that's fair enough. I'd have to pay the extra anyway, when I buy the stat.)

Your old heating mat sounds very similar to a mat I had 20 years ago for my cats, that just gave out gentle heat. If you place a hand on one of the reptile heating mats sold nowadays, the heat it emits, unstatted, is frightening.

Also these mats, even when statted, may still overheat due to thermal blocking ie anything thick placed on top. (Again, if I can bask on my electric blanket all night, secure in the knowledge of its safety cut out, why can't a reptile heat mat be manufactured with the same safety guard?)

It does my head in, so it does. But ... the fact remains ... we have to have stats ...grr!

I know exactly what you mean! It would be so much easier if they came with some kind of control, something simple just to turn it off when it got too hot and some kind of alarm, but alas.
I just checked the heat of the rock, and it's a lot hotter than what I first thought, so I'm going to get a thermometer stat, going to check with a newly opened place first (They've got 15% off habistat's) and see how expensive they are, probably work out cheaper to drive to them than buy offline.
I just went to one place that sells reptiles, they sell everything but stats......... Annoying!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000