The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 feeding tips for me pls :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 09/04/2011 : 00:49:26
okies so tonite was zac's first feed with us , we put him in a smaller faun m got the mousey warm and jiggles it , his tongue flicked and he sniffed it and then moved off , left him in a dark room that was quiet , still nothing . have put him and mouse into his viv to leave over nite to see if he will maybe eat it then . we have had him a week now so i guess i wasnt expencting him to eat in a way , but do any of u ahve any tips that we could try ? thankies
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 15/04/2011 : 16:41:37
Yup grumpy boy , we have had him 2 weeks today so its still settling in , and from what u have all said a potential shed on the way . Went to the shop to get some more bits for his viv and they said he's normally a brill feeder so its either due to shed or still settling . We asked how they defrosted the mouse and we normally put it in a bag and then defrost it , but they put the mouse straight in luke warm water , so may give the soggy mouse a go . Its more diff as he is our first royal , whereas the corns we can spot how they change / shed etc , but with a shy zac we haven't seen him , bless . I looked @ pics of royals and said to my OH "we own one of them...somewhere" lol x
n/a Posted - 15/04/2011 : 15:28:52
Does sound like shedding mode, bless him. All mine barricade themselves in like that with the substrate - when they get in their hides the aspen gets out!
Laws Posted - 15/04/2011 : 15:17:09
To be honest we haven't seen him out at all lately . Normally about 2 am u can catch him ( I'm home from work @ 12 and wind down for ages) but we only saw him we wen had him out . I think he's took the hump coz the enterance to his hide he's pushed all the substrate in it so we can't see him at all , miserable sod . We will leave him be , I'm sure he will eat wen he is ready . Gonna get a few more thing to pack his viv out with . Is 30 x 18 x 15 ok ? U all said before that's its fine , I'm just a worry bucket . Be interesdting to see if he does shed tho . Kai the corn is in blue atm , he's normally a cheeky active chappy but he's gone all sulky bless him xx
Lotabob Posted - 15/04/2011 : 12:15:29
When Duke pooped he went from 714 grams to 612 grams. It was an enourmous log he laid with three urates too. I wouldn't worry at all by even big weight drops after a poo, I only weigh Duke after he poops now, but was interesting to see the drop in my records.

I noticed a big difference in temprement when he was about to shed, before any visual signs appeared, he got all hissy and defensive, I took notice and left him alone, and about a week later he was deep in blue (though I missed the start of it, I was away for the weekend). He looked far more blue than my corn does it was amazing to see and then he shed in secret (or so he thinks, I saw the last bit lol) at 5am.
n/a Posted - 15/04/2011 : 10:32:49
Hi, you've got corns, and royals aren't that different during shed. You've probably noticed a corn looking dusty or dull before blue - the dark markings of a normal royal can look as if it's been dusted with flour. Another sign you may notice is that the belly scales go slightly pinker (but this doesn't always happen.) Then the blue phase, and then the clear-eyed shiny phase - and then the shed.
Laws Posted - 15/04/2011 : 09:32:56
Yup got feeding records n wen he poops :) glad that its a normal amount x
hodgie Posted - 15/04/2011 : 07:00:43
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

hey yeah he had pooped a week or so ago , nice big one , would that have made some difference?

Yes that will be the difference. Do you keep feeding records? if so you need a space on them for toilet, then you always weigh after, so you have the empty weight.
Laws Posted - 15/04/2011 : 00:43:35
hey yeah he had pooped a week or so ago , nice big one , would that have made some difference? we got him out for like 2 secs and he didnt look like he was in shed , but apart from the blue eyes not so sure what im looking at to be honest lol . we tried warming the mouse with a hairdryer , but to no avail . does the viv size sound ok for him ?
n/a Posted - 14/04/2011 : 21:16:09
Hi, sorry, missed this thread. It is easy to miss the blue phase with a shy snake, done it loads of times with my lot, but it could simply be his settling in mode. Weight sounds fine - yes, as Hodgie says, could be due to taking a dump or wee, that slight loss. Is there a nice wet patch in his enclosure? Even if not, it's no big deal.

He'll get there.
hodgie Posted - 14/04/2011 : 20:48:55
Has he been to the toilet recently?
Laws Posted - 14/04/2011 : 12:25:17
Ok so just quickly got him out and weighed him . He was 208 when we got him the first of april , he's not 194 , so only lost 14 grams , his last feed was the 25 of the 3rd ? Does this seem ok ? His eyes don't look cloudy , but we cud of missed the blue in them ?
Laws Posted - 14/04/2011 : 12:11:02
Lol bats , they start young lol ! He was a strike feeder at the shop too ! We fed him last nite and woke up to the mouse again :( gonna get him out and give him a quick check to see any signs of shed . He is in a 30 x 18 x 15 we wondered if it was too big , but he is about three quarters of the length of the viv when he's stretch out at a guess . Maybe its just fasting as its spring ?? Lol . Silly royals but I do love him xx
n/a Posted - 14/04/2011 : 10:40:40
LOL - I know the feeling well!

Just seen a bit I missed, about young males getting horny - Shahi is only a month or two older than Zac but he's done the big fast this year - just got him eating again, but naturally it seemed like he never would ...royals eh?
Laws Posted - 14/04/2011 : 00:03:01
we will def give him a quick check , we had a five min hold the other day (well my OH did) while i put aspen in the viv as he had messed the kitchen roll up loads . im almost certain i heard a hiss , and the last few days he is def quieter than in the first week of having him . the corns are stil entertaining me so its ok that it seems like we have an empty viv hehe!
n/a Posted - 13/04/2011 : 19:50:07
If you're that worried, it will do no harm to him just to get him out for a moment and check if he's in blue - yes, and as others have said, a hiss can often mean impending shed.

He'll be fine - just put his water bowl in his warm end to gently up humidity if he's going into shed (this doesn't really help until they clear but you won't want to disturb him again) and let him do his own thing.
Strawb Posted - 13/04/2011 : 19:42:03
If he hasn't been out for a few days and has hissed at you, I'd say he's going to shed. I've just been through this performance with Tia.
Tia took about a week to shed, so I'd keep the mice in the freezer for now if I were you.
hodgie Posted - 13/04/2011 : 18:46:48
sounds like he`s going into shed,
Laws Posted - 13/04/2011 : 13:10:11
hes a june cb 10 , would he start to get the snakey horn at this age ? or is it just instinct for all males to be like it ? i lifted the hide slightly to check on him yesterday as i havent seen him for four days and normally he is out for abit late at nite , im sure the grump hissed at me lol . we will try him again tonite and i will try really warming the head . i was wondering if he was in shed , but its hard to tell as i cant see him eyes and havent seen him for ages x
Lotabob Posted - 13/04/2011 : 13:07:04
It is most likely it is just him settling in but its also the time of year htey seem to stop eating and fast for a bit. Duke hasn't eaten for 5 weeks but I'm not worried, its what they do.
Laws Posted - 13/04/2011 : 12:35:16
we are going to try him again tonite , but we havent really seen him the last few days :( hoping he feeds too , he has missed 2 feeds and was fed every friday with no problems , i think he is just settling in x

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000