Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  00:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okies so tonite was zac's first feed with us , we put him in a smaller faun m got the mousey warm and jiggles it , his tongue flicked and he sniffed it and then moved off , left him in a dark room that was quiet , still nothing . have put him and mouse into his viv to leave over nite to see if he will maybe eat it then . we have had him a week now so i guess i wasnt expencting him to eat in a way , but do any of u ahve any tips that we could try ? thankies

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  07:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may still be settling in Laws. How warm was the mouse? I usually defrost mine on top of the viv and leave them just above the IR bulb. This really warms them up, fills the viv with mousy smell and until now (she's in blue) Tia has fed very time.
It's early days, but if I were you I'd wait a week and then try again. And get the mouse really warm.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  08:37:44  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a hair dryer to warm up the rats. I warm them next to the viv with the door open a crack so the smell of ratty gets her tast buds going!

Could still be settling in, try in 5 days time.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  10:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Strawb and Sandi have said. And as one worrybucket to another, don't worry ...Famous last words, I know.

He'll get there, and he's obviously interested, which is a good sign. All the best for the next feeding session.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  13:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tips , im not overly worried , just would feel relieved if he did eat , but he has only missed 2 feeds (he was due one the day we picked him up and they hadnt fed him that day ) and now he didnt want yesterdays . we will try warming the mouse hot and leaving it in there again over nite . in a weeks time or five days time ?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  13:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke took three attempts to feed but more importantly for Duke anyway was I stopped trying to feed out of the viv and just warmed the rat on the viv where it gets nice and warm with the IR bulb (throw a towel over and they defrost in half the time too) so rat gets nice and hot and smelly (rats really whiff of ratty wee) and put it in the viv, then its lights and TV off and make Duke think I've gone to bed, once he thinks the coast is clear and I haven't disturbed him that day he is straight out and nom nom bye rat.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  13:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we attempted outside the viv too , so next attempt will be inside it and we will warm it ontop the viv and try then . he seems very shy only coming out when he thinks we are in bed or when its really late , should i wait a week or five days ? x

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  13:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd give it a week, but if you feel you want to give it another go in 5 days then no harm in giving it a try too. My first time feeding I put the food in and went for a bath, came back in after about 45 minutes and watched Duke just finishing off swallowing the rat pup (I started on a really small item of food and worked up in size over a few feeds), the second time I had an idea of how he fed so I was sat in the dark at the other side of the room keeping still to avoid vibrations for about 20 minutes before I saw him periscoping like a merekat to check the coast was clear.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  14:36:04  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
seems it's not just me who have trouble getting his royal to eat :P
Good luck to you as well as to me :)

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave the rat to thaw out near the vent on the viv (i used to make a little cardboard shelf and stick it on with sellootape) for a couple of hours, warm it up, open the viv glass, then use a hair dryer.
Complete waste of time trying to feed in another tub, you`ll only stress the little thing.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Vikx993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  07:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I to am having problems with feeding my royal, Not to worried, he has missed 2 feeds. As when I got him they used to feed every thursday. I feed every Monday. He seems interested. So Maybe next Monday he may decided to take a bite!
(hair dyers are brill for warming up mice)
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  12:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are going to try him again tonite , but we havent really seen him the last few days :( hoping he feeds too , he has missed 2 feeds and was fed every friday with no problems , i think he is just settling in x

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is most likely it is just him settling in but its also the time of year htey seem to stop eating and fast for a bit. Duke hasn't eaten for 5 weeks but I'm not worried, its what they do.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes a june cb 10 , would he start to get the snakey horn at this age ? or is it just instinct for all males to be like it ? i lifted the hide slightly to check on him yesterday as i havent seen him for four days and normally he is out for abit late at nite , im sure the grump hissed at me lol . we will try him again tonite and i will try really warming the head . i was wondering if he was in shed , but its hard to tell as i cant see him eyes and havent seen him for ages x

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  18:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like he`s going into shed,

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he hasn't been out for a few days and has hissed at you, I'd say he's going to shed. I've just been through this performance with Tia.
Tia took about a week to shed, so I'd keep the mice in the freezer for now if I were you.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're that worried, it will do no harm to him just to get him out for a moment and check if he's in blue - yes, and as others have said, a hiss can often mean impending shed.

He'll be fine - just put his water bowl in his warm end to gently up humidity if he's going into shed (this doesn't really help until they clear but you won't want to disturb him again) and let him do his own thing.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  00:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we will def give him a quick check , we had a five min hold the other day (well my OH did) while i put aspen in the viv as he had messed the kitchen roll up loads . im almost certain i heard a hiss , and the last few days he is def quieter than in the first week of having him . the corns are stil entertaining me so its ok that it seems like we have an empty viv hehe!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  10:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I know the feeling well!

Just seen a bit I missed, about young males getting horny - Shahi is only a month or two older than Zac but he's done the big fast this year - just got him eating again, but naturally it seemed like he never would ...royals eh?

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  12:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol bats , they start young lol ! He was a strike feeder at the shop too ! We fed him last nite and woke up to the mouse again :( gonna get him out and give him a quick check to see any signs of shed . He is in a 30 x 18 x 15 we wondered if it was too big , but he is about three quarters of the length of the viv when he's stretch out at a guess . Maybe its just fasting as its spring ?? Lol . Silly royals but I do love him xx

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  12:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so just quickly got him out and weighed him . He was 208 when we got him the first of april , he's not 194 , so only lost 14 grams , his last feed was the 25 of the 3rd ? Does this seem ok ? His eyes don't look cloudy , but we cud of missed the blue in them ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000