The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Plane B

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tawfik47 Posted - 12/04/2011 : 23:11:14
Tomorrow I'll try again to feed Blitz, in case the attempt failed, what do u advice me guys to do the next week attempt ?
1- try to feed him a chick he used to eat ?
or
2- try to feed him the same hamster in separate enclouser ?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 20/04/2011 : 08:44:10
Ok, i'll make sure to remove the tick, give him another month (since he did start yet to lose weight), and then try to feed him again.
Thank you for your help and advices again , it's really great to have you around specially that i'm the only one who is keeping snakes in this country and there's no one eslse to help me with this except you
n/a Posted - 19/04/2011 : 22:56:58
OMG I too once had to do that to a myxi rabbit - vile! The most merciful way with rabbits is to hit them with something heavy behind the ears (the neck bones are fragile there and death is instantaneous) but I was in the middle of nowhere and there were no stones, even, nothing.

Yes, agree with Bob and Sandi. I wish we COULD offer a snake a bit of steak - it would be so much less bother than all these frozen rodents and probably cheaper too, but they need the nutrients and roughage of the whole animal and they're geared up to the smell of a small animal prey too. Pity ...

Again all the best, sounds like he's on the mend.
sandi Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:46:59
You can kill rodents by pulling and twisting the neck away from the body. Had to do it to a rabbit once that had mixi, was horrible but mixi is worse!
Agree with bob, deal with the tick and the settling in and the feeding will follow.
Lotabob Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:06:16
No its very unlikely to ever work. Your not feeding problems are tick and moving house related and your panicking too early. They eat rodents, they do that in captivity, they do it in the wild. Treat the ticks and Blitz won't be feeling quite so weak and poorly and I'm sure eating will follow shortly. Because of the anemia caused by ticks, you need to ideally get some reptoboost and put it in the water or bath Blitz in a 50/50 mix of powerade and water to give Blitz a bit of a boost.
Tawfik47 Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:01:02
I'm back again to this subject since i have a new idea
What do you think if i feed Blitz a fresh pice of meat (cow meat) ? same size as hamster size.
Tawfik47 Posted - 15/04/2011 : 20:34:30
Well, I'm concentrating on treating Blitz from his tick and water blisters and then i'll be back to the feeding thing
Lotabob Posted - 14/04/2011 : 20:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I think we're bloody lucky to live in the uk where we can just order up our f/t and not have to worry about it

Indeed, I'd hate to have to live feed or kill my own. Not saying I couldn't if I really had to but prefer the option of defrost and feed anyday though I do feel very guilty when they aren't taken as it died for nothing, I feel the same about wasting any meat though, I throw the rats down to the river edge at night, hope a hungry scavenger finds it, its always gone by morning.
Lucy1012 Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:57:22
personally i would just break it's neck quick and relatively painless... we have a hamster and a gerbil, but since owning a snake i do find it difficult to not look to rodents as snake food... my cat bought in a baby rabbit (unharmed) yesterday morning, an i hate to admit i did think i wonder what size snake would digest you... but i was good and drove it to st tiggywinkles ;-) good luck with the hammy and blitz...
MrsA82 Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:49:33
Because I wouldn't beable to have clear view ha ha ha haaaaaaa

Goos luck for tomoz tawf
Kelfezond Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:45:24
How have you not painted a huge skull on that?

I'll shut up now my hatred for rodents is beginning to show.

Keep us updated with how you go tawf :D
MrsA82 Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:37:51
Heres mine that I use for my rats & mice if you need a guide
Remember your only putting them to sleep ;p

n/a Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:36:36
Ever tried it?

If you walloped Hammy against something hard you might make a mess too. At least this way poor Hammy's immobilised and with a hard blow should know nothing more.

Euthanasing anything without a co2 chamber or more sophisticated means is pretty crude.

some people advocate trapping a rodent's neck beneath a broom handle and pressing down ...

I think we're bloody lucky to live in the uk where we can just order up our f/t and not have to worry about it - but if you do have to prekill, you have to be pdq ...

Like a snake ...

Kelfezond Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:28:16
Surely if you really whacked a hamster with a hammer you'd just make an aweful mess and waste a good meal for hammy.

Couldn't you just crush its neck in yourr hand? I could imagine i'd break the neck and or spine of a hamster in less than a second ...?
n/a Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:21:22
LOL Bob, well, you said it - and apparently a co2 chamber is even slower than a snake.

Crazy snake lady ...

Well, I ain't no lady lol
Lotabob Posted - 14/04/2011 : 19:12:06
asphyxiation is not quick and they are aware of whats happening, well quick as in takes about a minute to lose consciousness and upto about 5 minutes to actually be dead. We'll have to do a royal python test (not race people don't be arresting me) who can kill a rat quicker, a python or BATS. lol. My money is on the python in this case though, and BATS rat lives happily every after with the crazy cat lady of Wakey, lol.
Tawfik47 Posted - 14/04/2011 : 17:32:08
I see, i'm trying to treat Blitz from his water blisters - wish me luck-
i think i'll leave him for a month, and then i'll try for the last time to feed him live prey,but if he will refuse, i'm gonna kick hamster's *** head
n/a Posted - 14/04/2011 : 16:51:00
Umm... my tuppence-worth, after experience of euthanasing myxi rabbit, poisoned rat, tormented cat-prey, poultry and food rabbits ...

Yes, co2 would be ideal.

Whack-dead would be fine if you could hold the rodent by the back legs and REALLY whack fast.

I don't believe the rodent suffers when when the snake contracts - it happens too fast. The breath would be knocked out of its body and it would go straight into asphyxiation and shock ie it would no longer be fully aware. I did watch a couple of live-feeding videos to get my head straight about this. One amazed me, as I had an idea in my head about the terrified prey fleeing from the snake ...

In this case the prey was a rabbit. Anyone who has kept rabbits will know that they rub their chins on everything. In this case, bunny was introduced to snake, who raised an interested head ...and bunny hopped over and rubbed its chin on the snake's nose ... next minute, of course, grab and constrict, over in a second.

I wouldn't live feed or even advocate it here in the uk where we can buy cheap frozen prey, and I really would be seriously worried about the prey biting the snake, but if you live where you can't obtain frozen ...

If I had to prekill a small prey like a hamster, I'd roll it tightly in something like the bottom half of a pillowcase, so that it was held rigid. Then I'd hit its head with a hammer - hard, as Bob says - to flinch from this is not being merciful. Really wallop it, and the end will be instantaneous.

There may be after-death muscle contractions from the prey that will make it twitch ie running about like a headless chicken - this can happen.

Sorry if this sounds gloating or sadistic - truly it's not meant to be. It's better to be realistic and merciful.

Apologies to anyone who hates reading about this stuff - I don't like it myself but it's best to know what to do if needs be.

Wendigo Posted - 14/04/2011 : 16:28:11
Check on Google how to make a humane C02 chamber (i think that's what it's called) You put the animal in with some sort of gas, or dry ice (can't remember) and it makes them go to sleep, then they die =(
Lotabob Posted - 14/04/2011 : 00:01:11
I've seen peoplt grabbing them by the lower part of the body and whacking their head off something solid, you have to be brutally quick with it and dont fanny about either, quick single whack should do the job and put little Hammy's lights out. I know how you feel though with the having to kill it yourself, I would find something like that very difficult but only as difficult as watching my snake kill it just without the risks involved and the suffering of Hammy, the snakes are efficient killers but its not as quick as WHACK=DEAD.
Tawfik47 Posted - 13/04/2011 : 13:10:04
If Blitz still no eat for another month, i'll have to do that for him, but hope he will not refuse to eat, that whould be very bad

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000