The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding in a separate box.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tawfik47 Posted - 24/05/2011 : 12:46:19
I think I'm going to try to feed Blitz in a separate Box next time for a reason that there's alot of stuff in his viv i think they might constrain his attack, or let the humster hide in from blitz like he did a month ago.
So please any tips how to do this ?
1- Size of the box
2- who i have to put in the box first: Blitz or the hamster ?
3- if Blitz first, how much i have to wait until i have to put the hamster in ?
4- how much time i have to let them together (how much time it takes for a royal to make a move to catch the hamster ?)
5- do i have to supervise all this time, or this will make Blitz nervouse, consequently, he will not attach OR do i have to close the box i give him privacy ?

anyother tips will be appreciated
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 07/06/2011 : 11:12:14
Actually, a lot of people seem to think that the gas kills them straite out and it's a horrable way to die and it hurts really bad etc, etc. It's not just you. I don't know where people get that from though. But it definatly isn't like that as long as it's done right. Lilly fell asleep and then her breathing just slowed more and more before her heart gave in. She didn't feel anything. It's nothing like being killed by the snake.

That's why I like those 'recipes', 'cause their proper ones, they explain everything through and their not un-nessaseraly cruel. And yes, nice and clear too.

Tawfik: have you had any time to practice it yet? Are you comfortable in what your doing?
n/a Posted - 05/06/2011 : 14:32:37
Hi, BlueDragon, I found that fascinating - I hadn't been aware of the anaesthetic property of co2, and that the rodents actually fall asleep before the gas kills them; I'd thought the process was the same as the oxygen-deprivation of the snake's coils. I'd researched into co2 euthanasia before, while joining in debates on euthanasia/live feeding, but it was never explained so clearly.
Tawfik47 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 13:05:13
Thank you very much
I'm at work right now, but definitely i'll read them at home.
BlueDragon Posted - 05/06/2011 : 11:22:15
Oh, sorry about that. I didn't realize it was down : /

Here they are then:

http://www.ratfanclub.org/euth.html

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

I didn't really want to put them up on here just in case some snotty little kid found them and thought it would be fun to try, you know? Like when the delightfull little tykes put hamsters in the microwave 'just for a laugh'. But, I suppose they're already out there.

ETA: the second one is from the 'famous' rat breeder. She's very serious about her work so knows what she's doing. It's worth having a look-see at both though, just to give you a better idea of what to do.

Let me know if you have any questions Tawfik, I can ask my mam to answer them for you : )
n/a Posted - 02/06/2011 : 11:29:49
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

BATS, just so you know, I can see your email now, and its hidden from non members so your sort of safe, now, what email address should I use here lol

I've only got one email address so that's what I put - I think all the usual ones are compatible - it's maybe when you try to mix ordinary addys with such as MSN, and some phone email addresses that you don't get through, but I'm not knowledgeable re this.
Tawfik47 Posted - 02/06/2011 : 09:40:28
Same here, i put my address in my hobbies
markmifsud Posted - 01/06/2011 : 19:37:10
BATS, just so you know, I can see your email now, and its hidden from non members so your sort of safe, now, what email address should I use here lol
n/a Posted - 01/06/2011 : 19:32:35
Hmm... so what it boils down to is that we can't access each other's email ... pity. And it can be difficult to send an email to a different system - have found this with phone internet.

I suppose the only way round this would be to enter our email addresses elsewhere on our profiles if we chose to be emailed by members of the forum, which would be safe as our profiles are only accessible to fellow members?

Going to do mine now ... if the system will let me ...

Yup, put my email on my hobbies section, along with snakes, cats, writing, beer, books ...
markmifsud Posted - 01/06/2011 : 19:16:47
ah, I didnt fill in my MSN details, although you could say its the same thing. For me its very different, my email address does not have an MSN account associated with it
n/a Posted - 01/06/2011 : 17:23:20
Ah. I wondered about this. When I registered I put my email address on my profile so that members are free to contact me if they like, and just as a random check, I looked up a member's profile to see if the email address was shown, and a msn address was shown ... is this not the same as an email address then? (Computer illiterate, that's me.)

So - therefore - we can't communicate privately at all? Could be a good idea if this was changed, so that we can?
markmifsud Posted - 01/06/2011 : 17:05:31
none of us have our email showing on the profile
n/a Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:58:43
Same here - unless we can use the email address given on the profile.
Kelfezond Posted - 01/06/2011 : 13:23:09
Same
markmifsud Posted - 01/06/2011 : 12:44:05
I am not sure if the emails actually work via this site, I have sent two and as I have had no response from either, I guess its broken ?
Tawfik47 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 11:32:29
Didn't reviced the E-mail yet !
BlueDragon Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:15:39
I've sent you them via an E-mail message : ) Let me know if you don't get it though, 'cause I've never sent one through here before.
Tawfik47 Posted - 31/05/2011 : 12:48:11
yes, i do want the recipt, hope Blitz will go after his prey on his own, but if he didn't, i'm sure i'm going to help him with a pre-killed prey.
BlueDragon Posted - 31/05/2011 : 10:21:02
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. I was just trying to say that it might be a bit dodgy to do and hard to get the right info if you wanted to try it.

My mam has sent me two links for you about how to prepare a home gas tank if your still interested? One is the one we used for Lilly and is actually from a famous (in the rat world) rat breeder who breeds rats for pets, but who has in the past has put rats down herself in an emergency. So we used that figuring she'd want to do things right so it must be one of the best 'recipes' out there : ) So just let me know.
Tawfik47 Posted - 31/05/2011 : 08:50:48
wow, that was complicated !
anyway, since Blitz show no interest on hamster (rodent), i'll try chicks in the next feeding attempt, hopefully he will take it.
BlueDragon Posted - 30/05/2011 : 10:15:38
Hmm, I'm not sure what to think about that. You don't mean the rats they've been experimenting on though do you, you mean the surplus that they can't use? My only concerns would be what those rats were carrying from their parents, grandparents etc. You'd have to be aware of exactly what the mother/father/grandparents etc, etc had gone through or if they were purely breeder rats and their line had never been experimented on. 'cause I wouldn't be happy feeding a snake an ex experimental rat, or one from an experimental/ex experimental line : /
I tend to avoid the learning about lab rats, not least 'cause I have rats as pets it can be upsetting to me, so I'll admit that I'm next to clueless on how safe this would be for snakey. But I can hazzard a guess that it would be very hard to gain a perfect history of those rats to make sure you weren't passing anything on to your snake. They might not be willing to tell you everything, but it would be important for you to know. Just 'cause a rat has had purely breeder rat parents and grandparents doesn't mean that there haven't been experiments done on that line in the past, and I can tell you that rats can carry things in their genes for generations. Would a lab be willing to dig up that history for you? Hmm...
Also, would it not cost a fair bit for them to gas the rats and have them ship them out?

I suppose it is a possable idea, although I think it would be a difficult one to acheive right. maybe someone more clued up than me can shed a better light on it?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000