Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  12:46:19  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to try to feed Blitz in a separate Box next time for a reason that there's alot of stuff in his viv i think they might constrain his attack, or let the humster hide in from blitz like he did a month ago.
So please any tips how to do this ?
1- Size of the box
2- who i have to put in the box first: Blitz or the hamster ?
3- if Blitz first, how much i have to wait until i have to put the hamster in ?
4- how much time i have to let them together (how much time it takes for a royal to make a move to catch the hamster ?)
5- do i have to supervise all this time, or this will make Blitz nervouse, consequently, he will not attach OR do i have to close the box i give him privacy ?

anyother tips will be appreciated

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  13:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you talking about live prey? if so, I would watch your snake all of the time to ensure he does not get bitten

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  13:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Put the snake in first, i'd say a box about big enough for the snake to coil another 5 times (does that make sense?) let him chill for a bit then introduce hammy and if the snake isn't interested in the first few minutes he probably isn't going to go for it.

But hey i've never fed live before what do I know?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  14:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - as Mark has said, definitely watch them all the time.

If I feed a snake out of its viv I use a rub about 35 x 24 cm (think this is a 9 or 12 litre?) A fairly confined space is good as the snake has to stay close to the meal and, hopefully, eat it.

There are quite a few videos of live feeding. The snake is shown sitting in the box before the prey is introduced. I don't think you need to wait to do this. I don't think Blitz is likely to take your hand off when you do this for the first time (though once he gets the idea he might well strike as soon as he sees the hamster coming!) but it could be a good idea to maybe slide the hamster in in a small cardboard box held by tongs, then remove the box? Depends on how docile the hamster is of course.

Hope this helps, and hope it works - all the best.

Go to Top of Page

Rox1e6
Snake Mite

44 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mind if I ask what's the difference between feeding live/dead prey....apart from the obvious of course!
I could never put a live creature in with our snake...our last snake we had 15yrs always had dead while I had rats as pets!
Is it just personal preference or is it dependant on the snake? Obviously I realise in the wild snakes don't eat defrosted prey but they're not having to hunt when they're in captivity its handed to them on a plate so to speak so I'm just curious as to why?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Kelf, we overlapped!

Rox, I agree; I wouldn't like to feed live myself, but Tawfik can't get frozen mice/rats in Syria. There isn't much pet reptile trade there and the only snake food available is live chicks and hamsters, and he doesn't want to have to prekill. In fact his snake would probably kill it faster for him - it's said that a co2 chamber is no faster than a snake. When joining in a debate on live feeding I watched a few videos - and the snake is fast! In most cases the prey won't know what's hit it. But, yeah, know what you mean. I got a frozen rat out the other day and nearly wept ... such a pretty little thing, a cream fancy hooded I think you'd call it. But the snakes have to eat - we're just lucky to have frozen in the UK.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lucky for me I hate rats :P I'd have no problem live feeding if I needed to

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelf! I LOVE rats!!

But I could breed, kill, feed, or live feed if I had to, mind you. If I had the space I'd definitely breed my own and prekill. (But I still could almost ask my supplier - how can you bear to co2 those gorgeous rats??)

The biggest argument against live feeding in the UK is that technically it's banned by the RSPCA (although allowed if the snake will eat nothing else and would starve to death otherwise.) So to feed live does the snake a disservice; if it has to be rehomed, it may be difficult to be placed, as a live feeder.

Also it's a great deal more complicated - ie supervision and the maintenance of the live food in humane conditions while it waits to be eaten ...

Edited by - n/a on 24/05/2011 16:09:57
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  17:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nonsense just stop taking your bins out to the trash and leaving a line of crackers from pile of mess to snake viv.

(Kelfezond would like to remind people he does not advise this method of feeding and is not responsible for you being thrown out of your house by parents or landlords if you try it)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  17:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - I live on the fringe of the Costa del Wakefield - I have ratties at the bottom of my garden - they thrive on the fast food joints and pavement bolognese ...

In the snowy weather you'd have thought there were MAMMOTHS marching through the back alley glaciers!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  18:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, I live by a river and you get the occasional river rat trotting by, they are monster sized. Might train Duke to eat squirrel, only grey ones though.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  08:12:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll wait another week and try to feed him in a separate box, hope he will success.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Rox1e6
Snake Mite

44 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  08:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for explaining!
I'd never be able to feed a live rat...my rats were just like little dogs, came when they were called and would sit on my lap for a fuss, I hope when our spider starts eating rats I don't get any that remind me of them, I'll be a right mess, although I did keep mine in the freezer when they died for a month til we moved house and I could bury them in the new garden so they weren't left behind!! lol
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have rats as pets, had them for about eight years now, and I take in mostly rescues so there's often an unpleasant history behind them too. But I have no problem with feeding Tig rats 'cause I have no association with them. Saying that, like BATS, I do come across very pretty ones and for a second or two I can wish I had them as a pet rat! Like the lovely little black berkshire he ate the other week... really liked that one and so did he!
I don't like live feeding as a choice people make due to the dangers involved and also the cruelty. But if you have no choice then obviously that's different. I just don't understand people who make a choice to live feed when they have other options, i.e. buy in frozen : /

Tawfik47, why don't you want to prekill? Are you uncomfortable about it? Well, if you do things properly then it's fine. They just go to sleep, keep going deeper till their heart stops. I know 'cause I've had to do it before for a little girl rat I had. It was an emergency, but it worked fine and she just slept. It's a much kinder way to go for the prey : )

But sorry, I can't help with any advice on the box : / Other than agree to what's been said.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's just as good pre-killed as fed live, I refuse to believe the rat notices much since the things are dead after the second coil gets it :P

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  12:02:48  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i can't find a way to kill the hamster with co2, there's no such equipment available here to kill animals, and i couldn't buil one by my self, i wish i could feed my royal pre-killed prey, that would be much safer for him for sure.
maybe in the future i'll come up with something good, but for now i have to try live feeding, i have no choice :(
btw, the hamster i bough is peaceful, i don't think it will hurt Blitz, at least i hope so.
the most think bothering me that i can't find historical information about Blitz and how he used to be feed, because i bought him from a pet-store who just had them from a source, and he don't want to give me any informations about the source because he is afraid of me dealing with the source directly without coming back to him.
so all i have is you guys to help me with keeping my royal alive.
i know it's hard for u guys to believe this but i'm not in UK, here thing goes in different way, specialy with snakes, i can't find anyone here to share expirience with, nobody believe that u can keep a snake as a pet if i had a dog or a cat it will be different situation for sure, alot of pet stores, alot of vets and alot of ppl having them as a pet.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  12:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't really see the point of feeding in a seperate box. We remove vivarium furniture in preparation and replace it with kitchen towell. Then feed the snake, he's learnt to associate this routine with feeding and it hasn't failed yet.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  13:09:42  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is a new idea, and it could be a good one.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  09:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, you don't need CO2 to do the deed (I can imagine that would be hard for me to get hold of too!). If you can get a hold of plain clear vinigar and bicarbonate of soda then those things mixed together will create carbon dioxide gas, and will do the job no bother : ) It's what I use when I have to, and with my Lilly (the rat I mentioned) it worked with no problems. If you want to pre-kill before hand I can try find you the best 'recipe' for you to do it. You do have to be careful though to get it right or it can really hurt and distress the prey animal, and that's no better than feeding live since it hurts them to get killed by the snake (being coiled, it's a simillar pain to drowning).
All you need otherwise is a tank of some sort (quite small, but not too small) with a tight fitting lid, a piece of hose pipe or something similar and a bag with no holes in to mix the vinigar and bicarb in : ) Could you get hold of those things?

Also, if your worried about the level of gas that snakey will eat, then don't. It won't be of any harm to him at all, especialy if you leave the dead prey for an hour or so for some of it to leak back out.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  10:15:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh thank you, that would be a great way to feed pre-killed prey to my royal, i'll try to get this stuff a.s.a.p.

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  20:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a possible idea. I'm personally against experiments on animals, but is their a laboratory near you that uses rats for experiments?
Labs breed their own rats because it's cheaper and also they can maintain high hygiene standards. They usually have far more rats than they actually need, so if you tell them the size you want hopefully they'll be friendly enough to CO2 a few for you to take home.
Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000