A few questions re:setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  09:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to get a royal very soon and have decided to get started on purchasing all the set up i'm going to need so that it is all ready to go.

My corn will be needing a viv upgrade in the next few months to a 3 ft viv so his 2ft x 18'' viv will be empty. Would this be suitable for a baby royal? Or would I be better off using a rub set up of a smaller size (also what size would be appropriate?!).

As much as I want the set up to be visually pleasing, If a rub is the better option for the snake then obviously a rub it will be.

Also, obviously a 3ft viv will be required for an adult royal, but in the meantime, what are the reccommended rub/viv sizes for royals?

Sorry for all the newbie questions (and I haven't even got the snake yet!) but I want to make sure I get it right!

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  10:04:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would put a baby royal into a rub, and then once it starts to grow and has setlled in good and has had a good number of feeds to know it is doing well, you could move it into the 2ft when big enough. i would start with something like a 9ltr rub, and see how it does with that. that is what i have used for both of mine and both did very well. rubs tend to be more secure for the royal as they are not totally see-through, and provide a nice small space.
it means in the mean time you can slowly setup the 2ft to look really nice, and slowly buy things

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:04:36  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont apologise for asking qustions hun, its great that your are seeking the advice before you buy and making sure everything is perfect for when you get snakey :) Will you be getting a normal royal or going for a morph? :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiestastlou

Dont apologise for asking qustions hun, its great that your are seeking the advice before you buy and making sure everything is perfect for when you get snakey :) Will you be getting a normal royal or going for a morph? :)

Thank you

I have my heart set on a visual albino.... but if I can't persuade hubby to buy me one as an anniversary pressie it'll probably be a normal
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  13:22:29  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you cant persuade him for a visual albino, you could go for two het albinos and breed them to create a visual albino, then its that little bit more special to you also you get 3 royals

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  13:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

if you cant persuade him for a visual albino, you could go for two het albinos and breed them to create a visual albino, then its that little bit more special to you also you get 3 royals

Oh NOW look what you've gone and done?!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  13:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tbh by the time you have paid out for all the food, housing, bedding, incubating, and after they become weight for breeding and after hatching you find out you have not hit the odds and get no visual albino
how gutted would you be

You will save time 2+ years and money by going straight for the visual albino
£375 from crp maybe cheaper if you find a good breeder
Just my opinion tho

Edited by - MrsA82 on 07/06/2011 13:47:42
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  15:23:51  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh ye would be cheaper to just buy an albino, but sometimes its nicer to create your own, and holds a bit more centimental value to you, plus it means you may get 3 snakes instead of one

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000