The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 still wont eat rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
koreybum Posted - 02/09/2011 : 20:50:45
after about 4 months without food, my royal has just eaten a gerbil. tried 2 get him from mice 2 rats but to no avail. then he started eating a couple of chicks a week but then he went off them. so while he was off chicks i tried him back on the rats, scenting them with either mice or chicks. but after 4 months of no eating, i've just tried him with a gerbil and he's eat it straight away. so where do i go from here, try rats again or stick with the gerbils 4 a while? and do the gerbils grow big enough? also are they much more expensive?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
koreybum Posted - 04/09/2011 : 18:50:55
ok then, thanks for your help
n/a Posted - 03/09/2011 : 20:29:32
I can't find any nutritionl table that lists these critters, but ...the royal comes from West Africa ...and so do species of the gerbil ... Yum!

Only problem in this country is the price and the size, alas.
koreybum Posted - 03/09/2011 : 19:34:52
gt barr, by birmingham. but i paid £3 for a smallish gerbil, whereas a small weaner rat will only cost me half that. but i dont really care as long as the gerbil is as good 4 him as the rat would be?
SaltyTurtle Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:40:06
Where do you buy these Gerbils? My local shop only sells chicks, mice or rats!
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 21:07:48
Congrats on him feeding - that must have been a relief. From what I've seen of gerbils, adults aren't much bigger than mice, so rats are preferable if he'll take them, otherwise, depending on size, he's going to need several gerbils at one sitting. I don't know if gerbils are more expensive, but one rat's going to be a lot more convenient. Could be a good idea to try him with another gerbil or so, and then, once he's well into the feeding habit, try again with rats. Most of them WILL switch eventually to a rat. Good luck!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000