The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 temp problem and lamp question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 19:40:38
Ok firstly mg gf went to get a new bulb for her viv and the box says re spot lamp, even though she specifically asked for an IR bulb, is there much difference?

also her new setup is having some temp problems, hot end is perfect but the cool end cant get anywhere near temp, its sticking at about 19 c. its a cold house so i think this is where the problem lies but im not sure what steps to take to solve it

any ideas?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 22:26:09
Thanks for your input guys, il get her to put extra hides in as well as find an alternate bulb, as much as i like the rep room in cleveleys, some of there information can be a little short of the mark (or in this case "yeah this bulb is infrared")
richard v Posted - 12/01/2012 : 21:56:20
I use these bulbs for all my snakes and get a
Fantastic heat gradient, and that is in 4ft
and 3ft vivs when you open the doors you
can really feel the warm air temp. To make sure
I even contacted the manufacturer and was advised
That they would be fine as a heat source

Lotabob Posted - 12/01/2012 : 20:13:41
It may be a case of high airflow too, if its very warm inside and cold out the heat will escape out of the high vent and the cold will be sucked in at the bottom, you could part cover the vents, it will slow it down and hopefully keep a better temperature, other than that the above is true, snakes wont sit in the cold if there is somewhere safe to go that is warm.
markmifsud Posted - 12/01/2012 : 20:12:21
Those type of bulbs are designed to just heat a spot, and not the viv. Get t changed asap as its not fit for the purpose

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-415/reptile-heat-bulbs-1226/euro-rep-red-night-spot-lamp-31336.html
n/a Posted - 12/01/2012 : 19:58:13
This also puzzles me ...confess I just end up buying cheapest IR/rep night red lamp ...or whatever they call them ...

Yes, in a cool house (like mine) your ambient will drop, and at night also.

I just provide as many hides as poss ...snakes aren't daft, and will thermoregulate, so will stay in hot or middle hide if cold end is too cool.

It's a case of, provide the hot basking temp, and the snake will make up its own mind as to where to snooze.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000