temp problem and lamp question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  19:40:38  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok firstly mg gf went to get a new bulb for her viv and the box says re spot lamp, even though she specifically asked for an IR bulb, is there much difference?

also her new setup is having some temp problems, hot end is perfect but the cool end cant get anywhere near temp, its sticking at about 19 c. its a cold house so i think this is where the problem lies but im not sure what steps to take to solve it

any ideas?

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  19:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This also puzzles me ...confess I just end up buying cheapest IR/rep night red lamp ...or whatever they call them ...

Yes, in a cool house (like mine) your ambient will drop, and at night also.

I just provide as many hides as poss ...snakes aren't daft, and will thermoregulate, so will stay in hot or middle hide if cold end is too cool.

It's a case of, provide the hot basking temp, and the snake will make up its own mind as to where to snooze.

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  20:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those type of bulbs are designed to just heat a spot, and not the viv. Get t changed asap as its not fit for the purpose

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-415/reptile-heat-bulbs-1226/euro-rep-red-night-spot-lamp-31336.html

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  20:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be a case of high airflow too, if its very warm inside and cold out the heat will escape out of the high vent and the cold will be sucked in at the bottom, you could part cover the vents, it will slow it down and hopefully keep a better temperature, other than that the above is true, snakes wont sit in the cold if there is somewhere safe to go that is warm.

Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  21:56:20  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use these bulbs for all my snakes and get a
Fantastic heat gradient, and that is in 4ft
and 3ft vivs when you open the doors you
can really feel the warm air temp. To make sure
I even contacted the manufacturer and was advised
That they would be fine as a heat source

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input guys, il get her to put extra hides in as well as find an alternate bulb, as much as i like the rep room in cleveleys, some of there information can be a little short of the mark (or in this case "yeah this bulb is infrared")

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page