The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royal Lengths

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:26:25
We have a great weight chart, but it would be useful to know what the lenths are. It is the only reliable way to know if your snake is getting obese.

Slinky measured 22"..6.5 months
lol I waited until he stretched out and placed a nylon belt beside him as he was heading for Katana's toes.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:51:24
I stick a damp cloth over the hot side hide, does the job for me.
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:38:43
Hmm I wonder if a damp cloth folded up on the cage around the microclimate is safe, probably not as its electric..that'd be too easy lol
Lotabob Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:34:32
Oh yeah those foggers look awesome but arent great for Royals, I'm looking into an auto sprayer in the arboreal setup I'm designing for the crestie and the GTP but thats not actually relevant at all I'm just excited to be designing it lol.

A bit of spraying harms nothing (apart from my dog who legs it now whenever I get the sprayer out, its a pressure sprayer and can fire a mist or a single jet, I had to test it, oops) Sanke actually sticks her head into the spray because my vivariums do get very dry with the ceramic heating she seems to appreciate it or she is lazy and just likes a lazy drink.
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:24:12
Ah Rob it was when I asked about those automtic foggers,,I was told no. A misting bottle is very light so yeah should be safe. The Kritters is dry, no expansion, but Fea seems quite happy up on his vine.
So sorry Jimmers, I forgot I hadn't asked about basic misting :)
Lotabob Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:17:11
Blimey, critters crumble is absorbing 50% of the humidity of an average house, it must be expanding like a nappy in a swimming pool lol. Spraying itself wont cause RI's, not with such low humidity in the vivarium, its more likely to cause scale rot on wet substrate so if you do spray to increase humidity stick to spraying foliage and walls, leave the floor dry as best you can anyway. It takes prolonged exposure to high to very high humidity to cause issues, basically the glass would be all fogged up and the walls dripping, I have a high humidity vivarium for my crestie and its really difficult keeping humidity high so you'd really have to try hard to get it to an unsafe level for long periods.
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:07:52
That's for Fea my Boa..moss box is better anyway as you discovered :)
jimmer7 Posted - 13/03/2012 : 21:00:55
thanks for the reply did not know that about misting,won"t do that again then. but the moss box worked well(sandwich box with hole in top).
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:54:36
Hiya Jimmer, the humidity is low..varies from 25% to 27% he's due to shed any day now so I bought a large moss box and moss, but he's spending his time between his vine and a crevice in his mango root.
I'll keep an eye on him and let you know how the shed goes.
All in all i'm happy with it, I called my vet and he told me not to mist as that can cause RI's so i'm being vigilent :)
jimmer7 Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:07:54
hi Janie W sorry too change subject,but how are you getting on with kritters crumble,i had prob with low humidity last shed,but Winston shed again yesterday and it was perfect,i added a moss box plus flannel on hide and sprayed plants twice a day.
Lotabob Posted - 13/03/2012 : 20:06:09
I don't see the link between length and obesity. Its not a reliable way to measure a snake as they dont stay still and rarely stretch out to full length. Also one snake may only get to 3 feet (male for example) where as some Royals can hit 5-6 feet in rare (freak) occasions and they weigh a ton.

The only reliable way to judge obesity is body shape and in a heavy bodied snake like a Royal you can also feel the thin layer of fat over the tube of muscle that they are, they should be chunky but not squidgy, and fat deposits tend to go for the bottom (like women lol) so they get lumpy bits and 'hips'. Its also worth saying I dont think I've seen an example of a severely obese Royal in all the research and general nerding I've done.
GMac Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:58:13
shape is more of a giveaway ;)
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:40:17
That's true Gmac, but if a snake is gaining weight swiftly without growing much in length..that's what I meant as a good indicator of getting a little too plump :)
JanieW Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:37:56
quote:
Originally posted by Se7enS1ns

A weight chart you say??

Measuring length is hard, she never goes full stretch!!

*chuckles* yeah it's not easy if they stay curled up!
GMac Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:37:14
weight isnt dependant on length and what its being fed and how often. Snakes can get obese at any length
Se7enS1ns Posted - 13/03/2012 : 19:29:59
A weight chart you say??

Measuring length is hard, she never goes full stretch!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000