The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
austin_89 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 20:55:39
Hi all was just wondering what substrate you use for your royals? I've been thinking of changing mine up and giving the viv a new look so i thought id find out what other people use...
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bluepoolshark Posted - 28/03/2012 : 10:55:12
Does anybody use Zoomed Forest Floor bedding? (100% cypress mulch) Thinking of giving it a try for my royal
anatess Posted - 22/03/2012 : 01:14:49
Aspen when humidity is high, Cypress if humidity is low.

Yeah, welcome to Florida.
JanieW Posted - 21/03/2012 : 21:51:10
I use Kritters Crumble, its coconut husk :)
austin_89 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 17:52:20
For our cats we just used normal cat litter but they'd get in there and kick it everywhere every time we put fresh down!!

Thinking on it, Kane's the same, every time i clean out his viv and put fresh substrate in he starts pushing it all about with his nose!
DISCOVERAYL17 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:40:26
Hi again, its the best looking substrate as well and it certainly doesnt track anywhere at all, as for absorbant...wow, as i said earlier the newspaper underneath the litter is pristine even weeks later, for a trial you can buy smaller bags of 12 ltr for about a fiver, cheers Ray
n/a Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:36:52
Is this the stuff? I can only find a link to this, but this stuff does seem to contain additives.

http://www.biocatolet.co.uk/Biocat/
n/a Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:28:52
I mean the Fuller's Earth cat litter (which I use for my cats, not snakes.) It's gritty grey stuff and when the cats get out of the (hooded) tray, a sprinkle of litter comes out too, and, despite sweeping all the time, gets tracked everywhere. But after decades of cats, I still prefer the Fuller's earth (Sainsbury's ultra-clumping.)

If you've no cats and are just using the PAH stuff for your snakes, Discoveray, then you won't know what a nuisance the Fuller's earth type stuff is. It's terrible lol! Interesting about the Bio Catolet though - will have a look at that next time I'm going past PAH, because if it's designed for cats it ought to be even more absorbent than aspen, and as you say more digestible if swallowed, and if you find it doesn't track everywhere, that would be cool ...
DISCOVERAYL17 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:06:47
Dont know what type of cat litter your talking about saying its a pain, I use BIO CATOLET (from pets at home 25 ltr for £9.99) Its the best substrate ive ever used. It is made from compressed newspaper with no added chemicals.I still put paper under the litter, and when cleaning out, the paper undeneath is that clean and dry you could sit and read it.There is no smell, it is so easy to spot clean and no worries about the snakes swallowing it cos its only newspaper,it extend the time between cleans dramatically.
austin_89 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:47:36
I dunno what to go for, the Missus is always getting frustrated at me cause I'm always wanting to buy new things and change Kane's viv up :)
Se7enS1ns Posted - 20/03/2012 : 22:03:58
Orchid bark chippings in both of mine! I like the natural look.
austin_89 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:33:02
Yeah cat litter is a pain!! Ok I'll have a think
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:22:37
You're not kidding. It's terrible stuff. Got a life of its own. Worse than cat litter!

But the snakes seem to like it (the colubrids like to burrow in it) and the only thing I do re humidity for the royals is waterbowls permanently in hot end, and there's no mouldiness.

Couldn't vouch for if you spray the stuff of course.
GMac Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:21:27
Aubiose here. And the humidity for the royals shouldnt effect the aspen
austin_89 Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:06:48
I didnt think aspen was ok for royals cause it goes mouldy with the humidity ? Well that's what i been told anyways...

We use aspen for the 2 corns and it gets everywhere! Tis a pain!
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:00:58
Except for the smallest corns, who are on kitchen roll so that I can find the mess more easily, I like aspen.

Until the damn stuff gets into my socks!!!!
richard v Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:00:24
Hi Austin
Just aspen and Eco bark in mine.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000