The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 PROTECT our hobby - PLEASE READ!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jhk2005 Posted - 29/03/2012 : 11:00:58
hi folks, sorry i've been quite quiet lately, but i've just read an article in the latest practical reptile keeping and need to share it with you all.

This article was by Chris Newman, chairman of the Federation of British Herpetologists. The link to the consultation form is http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=invasives&lang=en, you should then see a box labelled 'short name'. Type 'invasiveupdated' and it will take you to the appropriate form.

As most of you are aware the USA has recently introduced new legislation concerning 'invasive alien species' due to the problems with burmese pythons in florida. It now seems that european union has decided to follow that same route and the consultation closes by 12th April.

This legislation could be imposed on all of us, regardless of whether we live in the UK, norway or anywhere else within the european union and a 'one size fits all' approach to this situation (as often happens with european legislation) I find totally unacceptable.

While most pet reptiles kept within the uk alone would die if trying to survive wild in our climate (and therefore pose no risk to our native environment) the same animals may manage to survive wild in spain/italy due to the warmer climate. It should therefore go without saying that each country should be treated individually. For us here in the UK this should mean that our hobby is left alone but this may not be the case.

Potentially, the umbrella term 'invasive alien species' will include all non-native species of animals, fish, birds, insects, plants etc and in the worst possible case our HOBBY could be made ILLEGAL, with our animals being CONFISCATED & EUTHANIZED. The thought of any life being needlessly destroyed angers, sickens and distresses me greatly as I am sure it will all of you.

I'm not trying to scare-monger but this is an important situation that will affect us all. I hope that you will all please follow the link and complete the questionnaire. It should only take 10-15mins and if we make a loud enough voice on this we will hopefully protect ourselves and our pets from anything happening.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 29/03/2012 : 14:49:56
Thanks, Jhk, I'm fine - been fighting off the mites but hopefully clear now thanks to the Callingtons'. Night shift? That's a bugger, but hope you're making lots of lovely dough lol.

Accessed that form and filled it in again, he he!
JanieW Posted - 29/03/2012 : 13:27:17
Ah right, thanks Jhk..in that case i'll fill it out :)
jhk2005 Posted - 29/03/2012 : 13:24:00
Hi BATS, i'm grand thanks, how about you? hope everythings ok :) i've been working a LOT of night shifts and not in a regular pattern unfortunately so most of my days off i'm either busy with my other half or the snakes.

Sorry about the link, i've edited my original post to make things clearer. And don't worry Janie, they don't ask for personal details, you select the option for an 'interested citizen' and that's all they ask. names and addresses are not requested.

At the risk of being sanctimonius, technically all living things, including humans were an 'invasive species' at some point in their evolution. Conveniently, our governments seem to have overlooked this fact. This legislation is yet another attempt for those in power to try and play god and control absolutely everything about this planet, one day they will learn that nobody can.

The main thing is that now, more than ever, we ALL need to become involved in supporting the continuation of our hobby and the right of our animals to remain safe in our care. Thanks to everyone who's completed this survey already and to those of you that will be completing it soon. :)
chrisc Posted - 29/03/2012 : 13:22:30
already filled in a cross posted, have also contacted one of my local mep's about this
JanieW Posted - 29/03/2012 : 11:44:47
Hi,

Anybody that fills the form out, I would advise not to give your personal details, it could be used to track snake keepers.

It angers me that everything the Americans do, seems every other country jumps in to follow suit. I am so damn mad even thinking about that my skin crawls!
n/a Posted - 29/03/2012 : 11:21:13
Hi Jhk - long time no see, how are you?

I think I might have filled this form in already as someone else posted a similar thread a while back - but no harm in reminding people again - if you haven't filled in this form, guys, I really think you ought to lol.

Only problem is, I can't access it on that link you give - it may just be me though. There's a list of subjects, 280+ not in alphabetical order, and I couldn't make the search thingy work. But, as I say this may just be me ...

Hope this legislation turns out to be sensible, for the sake of our snakes.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000