The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Sick snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jade19curtis Posted - 15/04/2012 : 20:00:45
Last night my Royal ball python (26months) started making a barking sound, i have crossed referenced it with the computer and all that comes up is respiratory infection, i have checked him over, his enclosure is up to temp, he has no foam/froth/bubbles out of his nostrils or mouth, he's happy enough~ What else could it be? if any thing? Kind regards
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lorraine Posted - 16/04/2012 : 21:58:04
Yeah, Oscar soaked for a few weeks before I discovered he had mites.
n/a Posted - 16/04/2012 : 17:57:06
Hi, it's hard to say without seeing or hearing the snake, but any worries and I would ring the vet for advice on whether to take him in. Most vets are happy to help in this way.

About his soaking - I would keep an eye on that, especially in view of your worries about RI, and also, I don't want to be alarmist, but when my carpet arrived, she soaked regularly for 3 weeks before I saw mites, which puzzled me until I realised that until they reach adulthood (at the age of 3 weeks) mites are near-invisible. So although I hope there are no mites, could be a good idea to keep inspecting the bowl.

Having said all that, I do hope he continues ok now and that you have no more worries about him but if you do, the forum's here. All the best.
Jade19curtis Posted - 16/04/2012 : 17:00:56
Hi all.
Thanks for all that replied.
He seems ok~ Kept a close eye on him the last few days.
going to see if he takes his feed this evening.
He also seems to spend a lot of time in his water tank (NOT MITES)
Was going to take him to the vet, but as he hasn't made this noise since, do i bother until he does it again?

Thanks All.
n/a Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:06:36
Hi again, how's he doing?

I just happened to think - there are two kinds of hiss that a royal can make. One is the conventional 'ssssssssssss' sound - the other is a sound I only ever heard from Shahi as a hatchling, a kind of hollow 'haaah!' noise. He was grumpy and in shed and I'd disturbed him, so of course he told me off lol.

Is this anything like the noise your lad made? Because if so, it's normal.

Hope all is well with him.
n/a Posted - 15/04/2012 : 21:01:11
Hi and welcome, sorry to hear you're worried.

I haven't dealt with RI personally and hope never to have to, but I've read that snakes can cough with RI, which might account for the noise your snake is making.They can make clicking or whiffling noises though when going into shed, as the loose skin may block nostrils temporarily.

Personally, if in any doubt, I'd take the snake to a reptile vet - best be safe than sorry. There's a link here -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=623

but if none of these vets are in your area just ask, as someone might know of a vet near to you.

All the very best with him.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 15/04/2012 : 21:00:00
Is he still doing it? Maybe he's swallowed a bit of substrate - what do you use, and do you feed him in his viv?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000