The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding in or out of the viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ianj2012 Posted - 08/05/2012 : 06:37:04
Morning all, what's everyone's experiences and opinions?
If in the viv do they get defensive? If out of viv what in? and do they regurgitate when you move them back to the viv?
Cheers.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snecklifter Posted - 10/05/2012 : 12:30:04
Its whatever your snake is happiest with. I feed mine inside the vivarium and it works every time. He has injested substrate in the past but there have been no adverse effects, presumably they can deal with a certain amount of 'vegetation' as in the wild this would be normal. Besides, an animal that can digest bones isn't going to worry too much about a bit of substrate.
frambo Posted - 09/05/2012 : 22:42:22
I feed mine in a green recycling bin with astroturf on the bottom.

She only ever gets put in there to eat hence the minute I put her in she's ready and waiting. She always eats quite happily in there and I lift her out quite happily afterwards and she's never regurgitated.

In fact, when she goes in, she sits in a strike position waiting and if I come too close to the box she stretches up towards me as if to say, 'feed me! feed me!'

I wouldn't like to offer her my warm finger when in the box that's for sure. Also a better method as it's easier to show people if they want to watch- the box can be put anywhere and she feels fairly secure although on 'iffy' days then I keep her in my room.
alex Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:45:43
I feed monty in a seperate tub, but thats mostly because im worried about him swallowing some orchard bark. With regards to agression I dont think it makes ant difference. From what ive learnt etc If she is a fussy feeder your better feeding in the viv.
Danno91 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:43:19
i usually feed mine in there vivs but have tried converting to taking out of the viv, this did not work as they all refused to eat, i will be trying again after they have taken a few in the viv.
ianj2012 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 19:37:12
Thanks all, I fed saphira last night in the viv, no tricks or anything and she took, so happy days
HaydenK Posted - 08/05/2012 : 19:00:07
Inside the RUB is my best opinion to give. They seem to feel much more secure and they can then snuggle right back up in bed without having to be lifted. :)
ajokocha Posted - 08/05/2012 : 11:56:44
Hey. I've always fed mine inside their rubs and I've had no issues whatsoever. The only thing I was worried about was them ingesting substrate, which is in my case, aspen. When I've watched them feeding, little bits of aspen do get stuck to the mouse and eaten, but still no problems. After all, in the wild I imagine all sorts of dirt and leaves get eaten along with the prey item.
matthewsaint Posted - 08/05/2012 : 07:29:30
I used to feed mine out of the his RUB and put him in a plastic fish tank. He was striking, constricting and then just leaving the mouse/rat.. so I put him back into his RUB with the mouse in the warm end, 1 hour later it would be gone. I have now started feeding him inside his RUB and he's taking it and eating it straight away and never missed a feed this way. I think he maybe likes the security of his own home lol
JanieW Posted - 08/05/2012 : 07:11:26
Hi Ian :)

You'll get mixed views on this but I feed all of mine in a separate tub, and they all have their own.
We lift them back into their viv or faun, carefully avoiding the bulge and touch wood none have ever regurgitated.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000