The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Best to keep feeding mice or straight to rats?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HaydenK Posted - 28/05/2012 : 19:37:36
hey, So I tried to feed Clank yestoday but he seemed to be having none of it. I tried to feed him a rat. He has only ever been on mice. Is it best if I slowly take him off mice or should I keep trying with rats until he gives in?
What's the best way of getting him off mice?
(trying to avoid ever giving him a mouse)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ajokocha Posted - 30/05/2012 : 13:38:55
I'm having the same problem, starting to stress me out lol. I'll try that scenting technique see if that works
jhk2005 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:47:00
I have a couple of ones that will only ever take mice ; you could try 'scenting' the rats by rubbing the mouse all over them first and fool your little one that way? It worked with my vanilla an absolute treat :)
hodgie Posted - 30/05/2012 : 10:48:44
quote:
Originally posted by carlb1981

[quote]
So she has the mouse and a rat together?

As she is eating the mouse i have to gently place the rats nose in her mouth, then she will eat it, otherwise there is no chance. Its that or the cost of 6-7 mice per week.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 29/05/2012 : 21:03:36
My adult male is a garbage pail, he'll eat anything and everything I throw in there. My female, however, is a picky little turd. She will only eat adult mice and ONLY if they are all white. I have tried white rat crawlers, but she just doesn't see them as a food source. :\ Maybe I will have to try your trick of "follow feeding" her a rat crawler, Hodgie. :D It sure would be nice if she picked up a bit more weight from the rats, rather than doing a couple of mice and her staying small. ;)
carlb1981 Posted - 29/05/2012 : 19:27:43
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

As a keeper of quite a few Royals of which one is a mouse eater (had her for over 3 years now) i`ll say this now, get rats and stick to them otherwise you`ll end up in my position with a 2kg royal who is addicted to them and quite frankly its a pain in the butt.
Pet shops have alot to answer for in my opinion, not that they care once they`ve sold you said snake, but most feed mice to their young Royals keeping them small and making them easier to sell as any young animal/reptile always looks cute compared to the grown adult. Anyway thats my rant over
Get rats and stick with them and your snake will eat. The only way i can get mine to eat is to give her a mouse then just as its bum is about to disappear i have to gently hold a rats head and psuh it into her mouth then she`ll take it otherwise she just turns her head in disgust. I keep meaning to make a video because this question comes up time and time again and can save a new owner a serious amount of grief/worry.

So she has the mouse and a rat together?
hodgie Posted - 29/05/2012 : 17:30:36
As a keeper of quite a few Royals of which one is a mouse eater (had her for over 3 years now) i`ll say this now, get rats and stick to them otherwise you`ll end up in my position with a 2kg royal who is addicted to them and quite frankly its a pain in the butt.
Pet shops have alot to answer for in my opinion, not that they care once they`ve sold you said snake, but most feed mice to their young Royals keeping them small and making them easier to sell as any young animal/reptile always looks cute compared to the grown adult. Anyway thats my rant over
Get rats and stick with them and your snake will eat. The only way i can get mine to eat is to give her a mouse then just as its bum is about to disappear i have to gently hold a rats head and psuh it into her mouth then she`ll take it otherwise she just turns her head in disgust. I keep meaning to make a video because this question comes up time and time again and can save a new owner a serious amount of grief/worry.
n/a Posted - 28/05/2012 : 19:52:24
I think it does depend on the individual snake. Some change with no problem; others you might have to try a bit of psychology.

A good trick is to defrost the rat with a mouse, or even with a bit of used mouse bedding if you can get it.

He's new isn't he? I'd personally stick to what he's used to for a few feeds, and then, once he's settled and got used to you, offer him a rat and see what he does. This is what I intend to do with Sharif as he too is on mice atm.

Good luck to us both!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000