The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New royal, not happy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matthewsaint Posted - 28/05/2012 : 21:58:40
I got my new pastel female last Thursday, when I first took her out of her box that she was transported in, she struck at me, she did miss though. I tried to feed her last night, and she stuck it, and then left it, it was still there this morning , I'm not worried about that, I was expecting her not to feed. I went to take the mouse out today and she had urinated on the newspaper so I took her out to change it and she struck at me again (missed) will she calm down over time? and does anyone have any advice on how I should go about trying to tame her? I'll leave her now, try her again with a mouse on friday. but other than that?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
matthewsaint Posted - 29/05/2012 : 07:33:48
I hope so haha, it's just a bit unnerving when your used to a royal that's really placid and then you get struck at from no where, for reason lol
Lotabob Posted - 29/05/2012 : 00:03:24
She'll soon be a big soppy sausage like Royals are. lol. Duke near bit my face not long after getting him but he is the nicest puppydog tame snake ever, and he is a nervous snake.
matthewsaint Posted - 28/05/2012 : 22:56:38
Thanks for advice guys :)

I'll try the sock thing too

Hopefully she will settle soon :)
n/a Posted - 28/05/2012 : 22:20:01
Yes, she's new, everything's strange and royals are nervous snakes. Give her time to chill; give her plenty of cover and dimness (I have my new little guy in a 2' viv with lots of hides and plants and cover, and even a towel draped over the window at the cool end. Don't see him much unless I lift the towel but I think he likes it, at least I hope so. He seems quite calm - but if I go in to change his water his head shoots back into the hide - all very normal behaviour in a royal, and he's not used to me yet. A good guide is not to handle a new royal (unless very necessary, like you had to for cleaning out) until after 3 consecutive feeds, and above all, don't worry if they don't feed straight away. That's royals.

Time is the remedy, and she WILL settle and calm; they are very much creatures of habit; once she decides that this is her new territory and you're her human, I reckon she'll be fine. All the best with her.
chrisc Posted - 28/05/2012 : 22:13:43
put a sock or cloth in your pocket for a few hours an place it in the viv, helps them get used to your scent

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000