New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matthewsaint
Yearling

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  21:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my new pastel female last Thursday, when I first took her out of her box that she was transported in, she struck at me, she did miss though. I tried to feed her last night, and she stuck it, and then left it, it was still there this morning , I'm not worried about that, I was expecting her not to feed. I went to take the mouse out today and she had urinated on the newspaper so I took her out to change it and she struck at me again (missed) will she calm down over time? and does anyone have any advice on how I should go about trying to tame her? I'll leave her now, try her again with a mouse on friday. but other than that?

1.0 normal
0.1 pastel

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  22:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put a sock or cloth in your pocket for a few hours an place it in the viv, helps them get used to your scent

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  22:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, she's new, everything's strange and royals are nervous snakes. Give her time to chill; give her plenty of cover and dimness (I have my new little guy in a 2' viv with lots of hides and plants and cover, and even a towel draped over the window at the cool end. Don't see him much unless I lift the towel but I think he likes it, at least I hope so. He seems quite calm - but if I go in to change his water his head shoots back into the hide - all very normal behaviour in a royal, and he's not used to me yet. A good guide is not to handle a new royal (unless very necessary, like you had to for cleaning out) until after 3 consecutive feeds, and above all, don't worry if they don't feed straight away. That's royals.

Time is the remedy, and she WILL settle and calm; they are very much creatures of habit; once she decides that this is her new territory and you're her human, I reckon she'll be fine. All the best with her.

Go to Top of Page

matthewsaint
Yearling

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  22:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for advice guys :)

I'll try the sock thing too

Hopefully she will settle soon :)

1.0 normal
0.1 pastel
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  00:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She'll soon be a big soppy sausage like Royals are. lol. Duke near bit my face not long after getting him but he is the nicest puppydog tame snake ever, and he is a nervous snake.

Go to Top of Page

matthewsaint
Yearling

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  07:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so haha, it's just a bit unnerving when your used to a royal that's really placid and then you get struck at from no where, for reason lol

1.0 normal
0.1 pastel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000