The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Follow on feeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittlestarRed Posted - 18/06/2012 : 09:50:09
Hello,

Well Hubby went and picked up 2 breeding weight females, so he's a very happy bunny right now.

My only problem is one of them is a multi feeder. I don't mind that really, but the guy who sold her said that if you caught her at the end of her 1st multi you could follow on feed her with rats as she swallowed to keep feeding costs down.

So my question is, how do you 'follow on' feed? As I have no clue!

I knew I should have gone with Hubby to collect the snakes! LOL

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittlestarRed Posted - 02/07/2012 : 19:31:21
Update: I managed to feed her follow on with a 2nd Multimammate this week! :)

Next week I'll attempt the Rat again! *fingers crossed!*
LittlestarRed Posted - 22/06/2012 : 07:34:58
Ok, well She took her Multimammate well but even before got the rat close to her mouth so got herself in to an awkward position and the follow on didn't work! I then defrosted her a 2nd Multimammate but she wasn't interested!
I've obviously fudged up somehow, I'll have to try again fresh next week!

BigDon ... I have no idea, I've never done it before. As far as I can tell the previous owner was doing it as she won't take Mice or Rats!
acd1984 Posted - 21/06/2012 : 22:36:43
Is this normal practise? i mean if im feeding multiple rats/mice for any reason, i wait till the first is down and just offer the second
LittlestarRed Posted - 21/06/2012 : 21:20:17
Thanks! I'll give that a go!
hodgie Posted - 19/06/2012 : 13:44:28
The best you can do is to try rubbing a thawed rat against a multi thats also thawed out, best bet is to do this whilst using a hair dryer so you get abit of a scent whilst keeping the rat warm you may have abit of luck.
LittlestarRed Posted - 19/06/2012 : 10:14:30
Thanks for the advice!! I'll give it a go when I feed her. I'd much rather be able to feed one Multimammate and the rest as Rats. 3-4 large Multi's will get expensive and time consuming (that said I'll still do it if I have to, of course!) so fingers crossed!

Incidentally, anyone heard of a Multimammate feeder converting to Rats? lol
hodgie Posted - 18/06/2012 : 17:17:15
I have to do it with my 2kg normal female as i made the mistake when i was a new keeper of keeping her on mice.(thats what the shop advised). She turns up her nose in disgust if i offer a rat but will literally take off your hand if you have a mouse. Royals can and generally will become addicted to multi`s if offered to much, people have described them a royals version of chocolate.
The way i do it though is to hold the rat with tongs and as the mouses bum is just about to disappear i gently place the nose of the rat into her open mouth. Hold onto the rat so you are takeing the weight and when she has a good hold of it slowly release your grip.
Blackecho Posted - 18/06/2012 : 11:32:34
I've done it before, and as Janie says, as the first one is swallowed, tail just disappeared offer the 2nd one.

Obviously, ideally you'd just try to get them converted onto a single appropriately sized prey item.
JanieW Posted - 18/06/2012 : 10:57:26
As far as I know 'follow on feeding' you hold the nose of the 2nd rodent to the snake's mouth as soon as the first is swallowed.
I have never tried it myself, but I have read about it :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000