The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Pythons
 IBD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
newbie Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:49:04
Hi Everyone

I'm Clare, I joined TRP awhile ago and have been lurking and reading

I'm looking at carpet python babies at the moment and will hopefully be adding one to my snake family soon, but I'm concerned about the dreaded IBD. I brought home a lovely young brb one month ago, who seems perfectly healthy and have a corn snake also, and will be quarentining the new python (if we get one) on a seperate floor of the house, but I'm concerned about IBD managing to infect my boa if the new arrival has it, I'm aware pythons don't always show severe symptoms.

Will hand washing/sanitising inbetween snakes and seperate house areas be sufficient to prevent any cross infection? I have no reason to suspect any new addition will have it, but want to be careful!

Thanks in advance
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
newbie Posted - 24/07/2011 : 11:44:24
Thanks for the info everyone hoping to add a python to our happy snake family soon but all depends on the right snake appearing at the right time in the right area! Hopefully I'll be a more active member of this forum soon
Lotabob Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:45:37
I have a Boa and a Python in the same room, I didn't quarantine (I wish I had, big risk to take). I didn't learn about just how horrific IBD was until after and by then it was too late, I did however always handle the new snake last and between snakes I ALWAYS wash my hands with antibacterial soap and then use alcohol gel too, its incredible how much it burns if you have a paper cut so watch out for that one.

IBD is terminal in both Boas and Pythons, the only difference is it slays a python in weeks and a Boa in months.
sandi Posted - 23/07/2011 : 17:19:09
I agree with bats and kelf.

Using an alcohol rub is a good idea.
n/a Posted - 23/07/2011 : 14:04:22
Hi, Claire - yes, as Kelf says. I've heard that a boa should always be given a three month quarantine and that by then if there is no sign of ibd, it's safe, but personally I would always sanitise/take every precaution when keeping boas and pythons in the same house - well goes without saying that we should do that anyway.

Hope you get your new carpet python.
Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:55:29
I think it's lethal to pythons and harder to detect on boas, I remember because I have a boa in the same room as my royals which is a bad idea.
newbie Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:53:31
I may have it wrong
Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:50:12
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have that the wrong way around?

Boa's don't show severe symptoms but it kills pythons quickly?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000