The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 help!!!! them stupid mites have arrived.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 20/12/2010 : 14:46:19
right, just been into bows eclosure to clean out the water bowls, and found mites in bows rub. i have taken everything out her tank and shoved it in the bath with as hot water as i can get out the taps. as bullets rub is next to her, i have also done the same iwth all his stuff. i have checked bow over and she has a few mites, and i have also checked bullet over and he seems mite free but will still treat him. my local reptile shop will use the reptile mite stuff for free on them so will take them down tomorow if wheather improves. i am goin to check monty as his viv is under there rubs, but i think he is ok, but will still clean all his stuff and put him onto kitchen roll to keep him safe. is there anything else i need to do. i think it may have come from the substrate so from now on will be baking the stuff.
this is the last thing i need so close to christmas, but its good that i am doing new setups soon anyway so everyone would have got full cage clean out, its just for a different reason rite now.
what else do i need to do???
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CoN Posted - 30/12/2010 : 11:44:21
Welcome blackskull. And thanks for the info.
blackskull Posted - 30/12/2010 : 10:17:36
off the top of my head im not sure if it kills the eggs. the better half is a vet nurse and managed to find all the info through work as the info on the can is a bit short shall we say. and as per she moved info and i cant find it.

it does create a vapor which gets into the nooks of the viv and works the same way on the snake. after treating my jcp i haven't seen any on her just a few more dead ones on bottom of viv

i also sprayed the carpet around vivs with frontline just to be safe

found the info it doesn't say if it kills the eggs
Royalbob Posted - 30/12/2010 : 09:13:39
Not stepping on anyones toes. Great link and info. If any of the little buggers come this way I'll zap em with that.
Do you know if it kills the eggs as well. Read the link but didn't say, or maybe I missed it.
blackskull Posted - 30/12/2010 : 07:57:24
hi im new to this forum thing so dont want to step on anyones toes,

i had mites for the first time in 15yrs of keeping snakes. the only thing i could put it down to was a peice of bark i put in with my jungle carpet python, thought i cleand right but i couldn't have.

anyway after i looked on another reptile forum a lot of people were singing the prasies of callington mite spray so i got hold of some and treated cilla, my jcp. it worked a treat within minutes i could see all the dead mites on the floor of the viv. but they did get accross to sully my royal so treated him too.

it took a couple of treatments but touch wood they are gone

its easy to use just remove snake and water, spray the viv for a few seconds then leave for 20 mins b4 putting snake back but dont put water back until 24hrs later

heres a link for the spray

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilehealth/mitetreatments/5027407007550

inkygirl Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:08:10
hope your getting on okay little BEEEEEPS
jmlg1986 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 18:46:16
sorry to hear about the evil little invaders hope you get rid of them soon.
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 16:47:40
iv washed all the equipment in hot hot water, twice now, and will do again and again and again until the mites are gone in the cages
n/a Posted - 21/12/2010 : 16:41:17
Thanks for the kind words, Danny - could boiling water destroy the eggs? Or, at this time of year, a night or two out in sub-arctic temps...? See, the great freeze has its positive side.
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 16:18:00
im not def sure it was the aspen, as i use the same bag for all my snakes, and only bow got th mites, so it could have been had them from her breeder.
i took them all to my local rep shop today, and it was frontline they used on them, sparyed it on a towel and wiped them all down, taken all the water bowls out, they told me to give them all a bath tomorow to wipe off the remianing frontline that hasn't soaked in (does this happen) and then put water bowls back in
nok1888 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 15:51:40
Its aspen Im using I thought it was just orchid bark that could carry mites shows you what I know lol think I'll start baking it as well, Im sure I read B.E saying 160C for an hour
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 14:46:20
zoo med aspen, i am ging to start baking my substrate from now on to be safe
nok1888 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 14:42:24
What substrate were you using
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 11:45:22
thanks bob, bow and bullet are in there rubs with kitchen towel, 2 hides and a water, looking very bare, but oh well, and monty is in his viv still but on kitchen towel and a water bowl and a hide. all are looking very sorry for themsleves lol
just hope they get gone soon, means i cannot setup new tanks until they have all gone
Royalbob Posted - 21/12/2010 : 00:55:46
Sorry to hear danny. never had em luckily. Can u keep them in rubs on kitchen towel until you have thoroughly disinfected their vivs? wishing em a speedy recovery.
GMac Posted - 20/12/2010 : 21:28:47
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

It will certainly kill the live beasties, not sure about the eggs though, can you put things in the oven?

sorry Danny, done the above also when cleaned just forgot to mention
reptiledanny Posted - 20/12/2010 : 21:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

It will certainly kill the live beasties, not sure about the eggs though, can you put things in the oven?

yes i can put things in the oven like wood, but prob wont be able to put thinsg like my plants or tanks as they are plastic, but have already put some wood in the oven
Blackecho Posted - 20/12/2010 : 21:03:23
reptiledanny Posted - 20/12/2010 : 20:35:27
didn't know that, see bats, u are usuful and should post things
n/a Posted - 20/12/2010 : 20:32:43
Yeah, when you think about it - soapy water used to be an old home remedy for greenfly - the soap acts in the same way as oil by gumming up the little blighters, as well as cleaning the snakes' equipment.
reptiledanny Posted - 20/12/2010 : 20:29:59
right, i will do that again tomorow then

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000