Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 help!!!! them stupid mites have arrived.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
right, just been into bows eclosure to clean out the water bowls, and found mites in bows rub. i have taken everything out her tank and shoved it in the bath with as hot water as i can get out the taps. as bullets rub is next to her, i have also done the same iwth all his stuff. i have checked bow over and she has a few mites, and i have also checked bullet over and he seems mite free but will still treat him. my local reptile shop will use the reptile mite stuff for free on them so will take them down tomorow if wheather improves. i am goin to check monty as his viv is under there rubs, but i think he is ok, but will still clean all his stuff and put him onto kitchen roll to keep him safe. is there anything else i need to do. i think it may have come from the substrate so from now on will be baking the stuff.
this is the last thing i need so close to christmas, but its good that i am doing new setups soon anyway so everyone would have got full cage clean out, its just for a different reason rite now.
what else do i need to do???

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  14:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's horrible, so sorry to hear about that! Hope you get them zapped soon. Never had the things yet (touch wood - done my share of water bowl paranoia with every new arrival) so can't advise, although the olive oil treatment sounds good. But very sorry to hear.

Have you told Bow's breeder?

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  15:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont think it came form bows breeder as i have had her 8 weeks and only just noticed them, although there have been a few tiny black dots last week tuesday, but when i inspected her there was nothing, so thought nothing of them, wish i had taken a mite precaution then, as nows its to late and i ahve them
thanks bats, and touch wood u dont get them, there awful things

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:20:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Give them a quick bath in some tepid water with a few drops of olive oil in, this should suffocate most of them.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:27:57  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
does it have to be olive oil, as i already gace her a bath, but iwth veg oil, and it was slighlty more that a few drops

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  19:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, that should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
anything else i can do apart from bathing every day, cleaning everything everyday?? i will take them all to pet shop tomorow as they will give them all a wipe with the special mite stuff so will see what they say tomorow. what can i wash all the stuff in. there was a drop of milton left in the pot, so shouved that in the bath with all the stuff today, but can i use bleach solution as i no longer have any milton, is the bleach solution 1/10 bleach water, or is it something else??

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, I used boiling water and fairy liquid to clean everything, seemed to do the trick.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:29:59  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
right, i will do that again tomorow then

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when you think about it - soapy water used to be an old home remedy for greenfly - the soap acts in the same way as oil by gumming up the little blighters, as well as cleaning the snakes' equipment.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
didn't know that, see bats, u are usuful and should post things

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It will certainly kill the live beasties, not sure about the eggs though, can you put things in the oven?

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:28:20  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

It will certainly kill the live beasties, not sure about the eggs though, can you put things in the oven?

yes i can put things in the oven like wood, but prob wont be able to put thinsg like my plants or tanks as they are plastic, but have already put some wood in the oven

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

sorry Danny, done the above also when cleaned just forgot to mention

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  00:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear danny. never had em luckily. Can u keep them in rubs on kitchen towel until you have thoroughly disinfected their vivs? wishing em a speedy recovery.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  11:45:22  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks bob, bow and bullet are in there rubs with kitchen towel, 2 hides and a water, looking very bare, but oh well, and monty is in his viv still but on kitchen towel and a water bowl and a hide. all are looking very sorry for themsleves lol
just hope they get gone soon, means i cannot setup new tanks until they have all gone

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  14:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What substrate were you using

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  14:46:20  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
zoo med aspen, i am ging to start baking my substrate from now on to be safe

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  15:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its aspen Im using I thought it was just orchid bark that could carry mites shows you what I know lol think I'll start baking it as well, Im sure I read B.E saying 160C for an hour

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im not def sure it was the aspen, as i use the same bag for all my snakes, and only bow got th mites, so it could have been had them from her breeder.
i took them all to my local rep shop today, and it was frontline they used on them, sparyed it on a towel and wiped them all down, taken all the water bowls out, they told me to give them all a bath tomorow to wipe off the remianing frontline that hasn't soaked in (does this happen) and then put water bowls back in

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Danny - could boiling water destroy the eggs? Or, at this time of year, a night or two out in sub-arctic temps...? See, the great freeze has its positive side.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000