The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 what should i do

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 13:06:19
hi im a newbie i got my snake last sunday with a setup off a mate of a mate im just concerned because he wont com owt of his hide iv only seen about 4" of him when he sticks his head owt at night is this normal what should i do
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/03/2011 : 20:06:31
By my calculation it's a medium rat - 10/15% of his bodyweight.

But DON'T trust my maths lol!
welsby Posted - 02/03/2011 : 19:37:04
guna feed him 2moz just weighed him n he weighs 1050 grams so is it a xl rat i have 2 get him
n/a Posted - 26/02/2011 : 19:02:24
Hi, 'handle' in this case means what I call 'armchair walkies' ie bringing the snake out for a 15 min or plus roam round you or your family's hands or the sofa ...

Brief necessary handling is perfectly ok ie lifting the snake out into a feeding rub.

But, if you have him on kitchen roll/newspaper, why not simply offer him the rat at the mouth of his hide, even if he's been used to feeding out of his viv? It's less stress for you and him.

(I know I said sticking to his usual feeding routine was a good idea lol - but even if he's used to being fed out of the viv, the above just sounds a bit easier!)

If he is on the kind of substrate that could stick to prey and be swallowed, then yes, you will have to lift him out into a feeding rub, but this brief handling won't hurt him - the same when handling after feeding. Give him time to settle (they very often have a good yawn) and then, supporting his belly bulge and his neck, just lift him gently back.
Lotabob Posted - 26/02/2011 : 19:01:36
I would wait a week before you do anything with him unless you are on the way to buy food for him then I would check his weight so you have an idea, a quick weigh won't do him any harm though.

Did your friend give you any of the food he has been feeding him, if he did weigh it and you'll soon know if its a large weaner (around 50-80 grams) or a large rat (250 grams +).
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:51:29
shall i pull him owt the hide then coz 1 of yous said dont handle him for a couple of feeding cycles
n/a Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:40:14
Ah, sorry - just reread the thread - so he was fed a week ago.

Just weigh him and work out his next feeding day according to Blackecho's chart - it's a good one - works for my lot.
n/a Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:37:08
When was he last fed? It's a good idea to wait a week to feed a royal in a new home - and you've had him a week, so whatever his last feeding time was, according to his weight, feed him at the next time after that. It's a good idea to stick to his favourite feeding routine too. All the best.
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:31:08
yeah thanks 4 that so do you surgest to wait till he settles in and comes owt of his hide b4 i feed him
n/a Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:25:52
Feeding table (courtesy of Blackecho)

0-400g feed every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200gm - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

feed 10-15% of snake's body weight

Rat weights, approximate (courtesy of A&N frozen foods)

small weaner rat - 37g
med weaner rat - 45gm
large weaner rat - 55gm
X large weaner - 80gm
small rat - 106gm
medium rat - 162gm
large rat - 290gm
X large rat - 400gm

Hope this helps.
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:10:06
haha i dont no to b honest he just said a large rat
Lotabob Posted - 26/02/2011 : 17:42:01
I didn't know he knew me lol.

Once a month is probably too long a time period and the large rats are reserved for monster sized royals. If he is the length of 'my' arm thats about 32 inches. I'm 6'4" so I have a huge arm span and doubt that many would have an arm much longer than that. My big 8 month old (550 gram 33 inch) is eating 1 large weaner rat every 7 days. Are you sure its a large rat yours is on, they are about the size of a stupid handbag dog?
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 17:30:18
he said that he his bout the length of ur arm
reptiledanny Posted - 26/02/2011 : 16:16:38
once a month seems a very long time, depending on size of royal and size of feed i would say feed every 2 weeks if he is a big boy with a big meal
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:57:25
cheers for all your help
scubadude Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:54:28
It sounds like perfectly normal behavior, as others have said get a couple of feeding cycles through him before handling, I take it from the info that he was being fed by his previous owner on large rats that he's an adult royal?
As others have said stick with the rats, but look at his feeding schedule, you'll find details on the forum, and work on a prey size of 10/15% of his bodyweight.
Oh and welcome to the forum

edited for lousy spelling
Lotabob Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:37:25
Typical pet shop advice, they are better off on rats as they can eat less so they don't get as much money as if you were buying in lots of mice. I think once a month is a bit long though but I suppose it depends on the size and weight of the snake.
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:15:03
the lad i got him off said he only just fed him the night before and he bin feeding him 1ce a month on a large rat. ive spoke to the guy in the pet shop and he said i should feed him every 10 days on a mouse what should i do
reptiledanny Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:11:09
you may see him more after he has eaten and digested that. i would wait to start handling until he has started eating regulary. i had to wait 6 weeks to start handling me female as she did not eat for 5 weeks, and waited 3 weeks to handle my male to make sure he was in a regular eating pattern
Kelfezond Posted - 26/02/2011 : 14:06:34
After your hands off week if hes eating you can feel free to take him out for some photos :)
welsby Posted - 26/02/2011 : 13:44:18
thanx for you reply hope he does soon cant wait to see him n get sum pics

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000