Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  13:06:19  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi im a newbie i got my snake last sunday with a setup off a mate of a mate im just concerned because he wont com owt of his hide iv only seen about 4" of him when he sticks his head owt at night is this normal what should i do

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  13:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Welsby, it's perfectly normal - typical royal behaviour.

One of mine lurked for weeks after I got her. She's cheeky now though.

Good luck and congrats on your new royal - he'll come round when he feels like it.

Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  13:44:18  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanx for you reply hope he does soon cant wait to see him n get sum pics
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After your hands off week if hes eating you can feel free to take him out for some photos :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:11:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you may see him more after he has eaten and digested that. i would wait to start handling until he has started eating regulary. i had to wait 6 weeks to start handling me female as she did not eat for 5 weeks, and waited 3 weeks to handle my male to make sure he was in a regular eating pattern

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:15:03  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the lad i got him off said he only just fed him the night before and he bin feeding him 1ce a month on a large rat. ive spoke to the guy in the pet shop and he said i should feed him every 10 days on a mouse what should i do

Edited by - welsby on 26/02/2011 14:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical pet shop advice, they are better off on rats as they can eat less so they don't get as much money as if you were buying in lots of mice. I think once a month is a bit long though but I suppose it depends on the size and weight of the snake.

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:54:28  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It sounds like perfectly normal behavior, as others have said get a couple of feeding cycles through him before handling, I take it from the info that he was being fed by his previous owner on large rats that he's an adult royal?
As others have said stick with the rats, but look at his feeding schedule, you'll find details on the forum, and work on a prey size of 10/15% of his bodyweight.
Oh and welcome to the forum

edited for lousy spelling

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.

Edited by - scubadude on 26/02/2011 14:56:07
Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:57:25  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
cheers for all your help
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  16:16:38  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
once a month seems a very long time, depending on size of royal and size of feed i would say feed every 2 weeks if he is a big boy with a big meal

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  17:30:18  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
he said that he his bout the length of ur arm
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  17:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know he knew me lol.

Once a month is probably too long a time period and the large rats are reserved for monster sized royals. If he is the length of 'my' arm thats about 32 inches. I'm 6'4" so I have a huge arm span and doubt that many would have an arm much longer than that. My big 8 month old (550 gram 33 inch) is eating 1 large weaner rat every 7 days. Are you sure its a large rat yours is on, they are about the size of a stupid handbag dog?

Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:10:06  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
haha i dont no to b honest he just said a large rat
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding table (courtesy of Blackecho)

0-400g feed every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200gm - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

feed 10-15% of snake's body weight

Rat weights, approximate (courtesy of A&N frozen foods)

small weaner rat - 37g
med weaner rat - 45gm
large weaner rat - 55gm
X large weaner - 80gm
small rat - 106gm
medium rat - 162gm
large rat - 290gm
X large rat - 400gm

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:31:08  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah thanks 4 that so do you surgest to wait till he settles in and comes owt of his hide b4 i feed him
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When was he last fed? It's a good idea to wait a week to feed a royal in a new home - and you've had him a week, so whatever his last feeding time was, according to his weight, feed him at the next time after that. It's a good idea to stick to his favourite feeding routine too. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry - just reread the thread - so he was fed a week ago.

Just weigh him and work out his next feeding day according to Blackecho's chart - it's a good one - works for my lot.

Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:51:29  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
shall i pull him owt the hide then coz 1 of yous said dont handle him for a couple of feeding cycles
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  19:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would wait a week before you do anything with him unless you are on the way to buy food for him then I would check his weight so you have an idea, a quick weigh won't do him any harm though.

Did your friend give you any of the food he has been feeding him, if he did weigh it and you'll soon know if its a large weaner (around 50-80 grams) or a large rat (250 grams +).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  19:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, 'handle' in this case means what I call 'armchair walkies' ie bringing the snake out for a 15 min or plus roam round you or your family's hands or the sofa ...

Brief necessary handling is perfectly ok ie lifting the snake out into a feeding rub.

But, if you have him on kitchen roll/newspaper, why not simply offer him the rat at the mouth of his hide, even if he's been used to feeding out of his viv? It's less stress for you and him.

(I know I said sticking to his usual feeding routine was a good idea lol - but even if he's used to being fed out of the viv, the above just sounds a bit easier!)

If he is on the kind of substrate that could stick to prey and be swallowed, then yes, you will have to lift him out into a feeding rub, but this brief handling won't hurt him - the same when handling after feeding. Give him time to settle (they very often have a good yawn) and then, supporting his belly bulge and his neck, just lift him gently back.

Go to Top of Page

welsby
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:37:04  Show Profile  Send welsby a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
guna feed him 2moz just weighed him n he weighs 1050 grams so is it a xl rat i have 2 get him
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000