The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Heating a RUB

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacko23 Posted - 20/07/2011 : 17:09:34
As the title, how, where, what, when!?

What temps do you achieve and how do you do so?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 23:49:00
Hi Jacko, I got mine from my mates reptile shop - they're all "Habistat Dimming Thermostat", usually about cost me £40 each but well worth the investment.

My cams knackered so I can't put up pics but if you can imagine a larger than normal air-hole in one of the narrow sides for the probe to go through, I then sellotape it (about a 3rd of the length of the rub), that way the probe sits directly above a 3ft/4ft mat. I usually have my stats set at approx 88-92F (abut 30C) and adjust it as necessary. If you're using a smaller mat you basically need to adjust how far in the probe sits but the ideas the same. The reason I put it inside is that I find its more accurate when monitoring and maintaining the temp inside the rub to correspond with the temp set on the stat.

If you're not sure where to buy from, google "Habistat Dimming Thermostat" and it should give you plenty of places to buy one from.

Hope this makes things easier matey
n/a Posted - 21/07/2011 : 19:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by Jacko23

Where do you guys get your stats from? I've got a 18L rub and trying to keep it up to temp is driving me mad!
I checked the other day and the warm end was hanging about the 24c ( which would more than likely explain why he isn't eating!)
So I chucked a hot water bottle and a towel over the top which brought temps back up but I just can't seem to keep it
Constant!

Hi, Jacko, I don't know if this got duplicated by accident but I replied above, though I'm not an expert on rubs, but hopefully someone with more experience should be along soon - do hope you get the temps sorted.
n/a Posted - 21/07/2011 : 19:03:32
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Hey Bats...

I hit a problem. I put the 17L RUB inside the 64L RUB but now I can't get the hot-side inside the 17L to go above 85F (29.4C) because I only have 1 stat that all the RUBs share. I got 4 RUBs right now so if I raise the stat temp, all the rest is going to get too hot. Waaaa!

I'm not sure I should risk not statting the RUB even if I elevate the RUB a bit farther from the heat tape (I have the heat tape stuck to the shelf). What do you think?

Oh wow - I see your problem, but honestly I'm just not that knowledgeable about rubs and tape and stuff. My little corn's rub is just sitting on the heatmat in her viv (which has its own stat of course.)

But someone should be along soon who'll know. Failing that, is there any way you could rig up a separate mat and stat? Good luck!
Jacko23 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 18:59:10
Where do you guys get your stats from? I've got a 18L rub and trying to keep it up to temp is driving me mad!
I checked the other day and the warm end was hanging about the 24c ( which would more than likely explain why he isn't eating!)
So I chucked a hot water bottle and a towel over the top which brought temps back up but I just can't seem to keep it
Constant!
anatess Posted - 21/07/2011 : 17:36:12
Hey Bats...

I hit a problem. I put the 17L RUB inside the 64L RUB but now I can't get the hot-side inside the 17L to go above 85F (29.4C) because I only have 1 stat that all the RUBs share. I got 4 RUBs right now so if I raise the stat temp, all the rest is going to get too hot. Waaaa!

I'm not sure I should risk not statting the RUB even if I elevate the RUB a bit farther from the heat tape (I have the heat tape stuck to the shelf). What do you think?
n/a Posted - 21/07/2011 : 14:06:23
Blue Lizard has the biggest range of stats imo - Surrey Pet Supplies and Swellreptiles are good too - a good idea to compare prices and delivery costs - all have good online sites.

Yes, as Jhk says, or some people place the stat probe beneath the rub and on the mat. If you have a mat and stat already, how warm is the room where the rub's kept? This summer weather (ha ha) can be pretty chilly at times, especially at night.

Hope you get sorted out soon.
Jacko23 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 12:39:27
Constant!
jhk2005 Posted - 21/07/2011 : 11:31:06
I have mine on mats, with the stat secured in one RUB through a hole in the side and taped in place, then a temp-gun to keep a check on them. You can use pp stats althugh I prefer dimming stats admittedly ; It lets me heat up to 6 rubs at once and know they'll all be fine :)
n/a Posted - 21/07/2011 : 00:48:27
Aww, Anatess, I'm blushing lol!

Glad to have helped but I've read about this idea a few times on this forum so can't really take credit for it.

It does seem to work - my little girl is now greedy and cheeky and thoroughly settled. Good luck with your girl.
anatess Posted - 21/07/2011 : 00:24:54
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Or you can use a heat mat (statted of course; you can get mat stats but pp stats are more accurate and can be used for a ceramic heater in future) for just one rub, underneath a half to one third of the rub to create a warm end. And the room temp has to be pretty high - I think something around 26c, as the rub doesn't retain heat as well as a viv - that's why people have rep rooms that they can heat to a good ambient temp. A lot of people will put a smaller rub inside the snake's future viv, on the statted mat of course, and then the viv will hold the heat better. I'm doing this in my smallest corn's viv at present; the lid of the rub is now off and she climbs in and out at will, but generally stays in the rub.

BATS! You're a genius! I don't know why I didn't think of that before! I have this problem-child that is outgrowing her 17L but can't seem to get her to move to a 64L without her going crazy... You just gave me an idea to put that 17L inside the 64L.

Brilliant!
n/a Posted - 20/07/2011 : 23:41:33
Or you can use a heat mat (statted of course; you can get mat stats but pp stats are more accurate and can be used for a ceramic heater in future) for just one rub, underneath a half to one third of the rub to create a warm end. And the room temp has to be pretty high - I think something around 26c, as the rub doesn't retain heat as well as a viv - that's why people have rep rooms that they can heat to a good ambient temp. A lot of people will put a smaller rub inside the snake's future viv, on the statted mat of course, and then the viv will hold the heat better. I'm doing this in my smallest corn's viv at present; the lid of the rub is now off and she climbs in and out at will, but generally stays in the rub.
anatess Posted - 20/07/2011 : 23:30:37
quote:
Originally posted by Jacko23

As the title, how, where, what, when!?

What temps do you achieve and how do you do so?

Flexwatt heat tape placed underneath the RUB plugged into a pulse proportional thermostat.

I set the stat at 93F which gives me a good 90-92F on the RUB floor under the hot-side hide.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000