The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 What a couple of weeks!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacko23 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 22:41:30
Well big Fred has been busy!!

He had gone off his food (small mice) so I left him two weeks and thought I would try him on a rat,
Popped to my local shop got a rat weaned as Fred looked ready, warmed it up and BANG! straight out the tongs!
Brilliant, Not only had he eaten but he took a weaner rat!
Left it 5 days and he took another rat!

Thennnn the little beauty went blue!
I was away for 4 days came back on Saturday but no shed, then I looked tonight
And there is a full shed!! Head to tail including eye caps the whole shebang! Will get pics up soon I promise!

Only problem was he had left a nice big poo as well :)

Now, how long do I leave him before I try and feed him again? It's been almost 2 weeks since his last feed!

Thanks!
Jacko!

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robert Posted - 14/08/2011 : 18:14:25
I just feed on demand and they all do well it's personal choice I guess
Lotabob Posted - 10/08/2011 : 00:05:34
n/a Posted - 09/08/2011 : 23:07:59
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Another good guide (courtesy of Blackecho) is to feed a meal that is approx 10/15% of the snake's weight.

I was wondering how long it would take

LMAO!

(Cheeky bugger!)
Lotabob Posted - 09/08/2011 : 22:43:53
quote:

Another good guide (courtesy of Blackecho) is to feed a meal that is approx 10/15% of the snake's weight.

I was wondering how long it would take
sandi Posted - 09/08/2011 : 21:33:56
Well done you! nice to hear a possitive feeding tale!

I always give food the day after a shed because they normaly miss a feed before the shed so go for it!
n/a Posted - 09/08/2011 : 19:14:30
Hi - I don't think that matters - don't think you'll get a rat that's too long. Sounds like that rat was fine.

Hope this helps.
Jacko23 Posted - 09/08/2011 : 19:01:01
Thanks for the responses boys and girls!

I was worried about going from the small mice to the rats but I got a rat that was just a bit bigger than the small mice
I'll weigh him tonight as I know he is empty!

On the subject of feeding, I know the rule of no bigger than 1 1/2 his girth but what about length of prey????
markmifsud Posted - 09/08/2011 : 14:31:58
They are all different, you just have to learn their individual needs. Two of mine will strike feed at any stage of the shed process, once its gone past 6 days, they will eat and no blue eyes or shed will stop them.
Oh How Original Posted - 09/08/2011 : 03:25:56
quote:

Wow - congrats!

If he took a weaner rat straight after being on small mice, that's quite an increase - but as long as the rat's girth is no larger than one and a half times Fred's girth, he'll be fine. (Shops often do underfeed snakes.) And to transfer to rats so easily too - that's really good.

The shed (and the lovely pile )are more signs that he's in good working order. No need to delay his feed - I'd personally feed him as soon as is convenient - good old Fred, eh?

Couldn't agree more, a healthy appetite is brilliant, don't delay on giving him a meal, but as Lil' said, make sure it isn't too big, as that is quite a jump in size, presuming from the fact he was on small mice, I'd say he's quite small.
A good appetite is brilliant, but over feeding isn't.
n/a Posted - 08/08/2011 : 23:09:22
Ah, we overlapped, Bob - I was just going by the way Shahi carried on after shed. He wants his rat!

And once I had a corn (they will often feed whatever) who glanced at her mouse, glided off to shed, came back and took the mouse hungrily ...
n/a Posted - 08/08/2011 : 23:06:49
Wow - congrats!

If he took a weaner rat straight after being on small mice, that's quite an increase - but as long as the rat's girth is no larger than one and a half times Fred's girth, he'll be fine. (Shops often do underfeed snakes.) And to transfer to rats so easily too - that's really good.

The shed (and the lovely pile )are more signs that he's in good working order. No need to delay his feed - I'd personally feed him as soon as is convenient - good old Fred, eh?
Lotabob Posted - 08/08/2011 : 23:01:45
Entirely upto you, if you have a specific feeding day you can wait for that. I always wait a minimum of a few days for Duke to settle down after a shed though just to be sure he's relaxed and ready for dinner.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000