The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 age by size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toney0105 Posted - 04/09/2011 : 12:41:02
hi was just wondering if anyone knows how you can find out the age of a royal by length and weight? I got my first snake 2days ago and its 100g and approx 20-22in long. I got told it is around 3/4months does anyone know if this is correct? Any advice appreciated.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toney0105 Posted - 04/09/2011 : 21:50:37
thanks again everyone. bats i seen that post by Blackecho that's the reason i was thinking about feeding her on Wednesday. but i will leave him/her till Saturday thanks bats.

p.s. if anyone has any good suggestions for unisex names for me i would be grateful because i can't think of any. thanks again everyone
n/a Posted - 04/09/2011 : 21:31:08
Ah - shops always seem to feed on a Sunday lol!

A good rule is to leave a royal to settle in for a week before feeding - so, if you've bought her/him on the Saturday, I personally would try with the first feed next Saturday. It won't do any harm at all to miss today's feed; snakes are opportunist feeders and designed to miss a meal with no ill effects. Thereafter, at that weight, according to our Blackecho, it's a good idea to feed every 5 days. Don't be too dismayed if the first meal isn't taken - some royals take a while to settle in. Hope this helps.
toney0105 Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:58:31
is it wise to leave it till wed for its feed. the shop told me every Sunday but as i got her on sat i thought it would be better to leave her for a little while to settle in first. or should i just feed it now or next Sunday. thank all of you again really appreciated.
n/a Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:54:56
Usually there is someone at the shop who knows how to 'pop' hatchlings ie gently manipulate their tail/vent area so that their private bits emerge ...a male snake has two penises (hemipenes - essential so as to engage with the female whichever way their tails tilt during mating) and is instantly recognisable as opposed to the female.) This is of course a job for an expert, as is probing older snakes ie slipping a small metal probe into the vent towards the tail end - the distance it goes in is indicative of gender.

However, royals have spurs either side of the vent - these are tiny vestigial legs left over from the days when a snake was a lizard. In a female royal these are no more than minute bud-like growths; in a male the spurs are usually curved like tiny horns - he can actually move them to stroke his mate while mating.

This isn't a hard and fast indication, i'm afraid - only a guide, though it's true that my male, Shahi, has obtrusive spurs and the girls don't. The only reliable way is to have the snake probed at a good reptile shop, or at a vet's. Popping isn't 100% as the affronted male may refuse to show his courting tackle - and who can blame him?

LOL - know what you mean about naming - when I bought my first corns they all had to have unisex names so that I didn't end up with a girl called Fred or a boy named Sue!
Evolution Morphs Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:53:56
There's lots of videos on YouTube on how to but without seeing it and learning from the expert I wouldn't advice it

;)
toney0105 Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:52:22
Thanx d3l i won't be doing it will take it to the rep shop and ask them to show me so i no for wen i get another royal.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:46:30
Probe them or pop them

Should be done by someone that's done it before though
Like a reptile shop / vets / local breeder

Maybe ask them if you want to do it yourself for when you get your next royal ;)

Any mistakes can damage / hurt it
toney0105 Posted - 04/09/2011 : 20:38:03
thanks bats and everyone else he was the best feeder the shop has had them for two weeks now and it's the only 1 that has fed two out of two.

just wondering how do you sex a snake because it hasn't been sexed yet so it 's a bit hard naming it. lol

thanx again everyone really appreciated.
Lorraine Posted - 04/09/2011 : 15:03:16
That's about what my Oscar was too.
Lotabob Posted - 04/09/2011 : 14:26:59
It sounds about right what you've been told but if it was a slow feeder then it may be a bit older.
chrisc Posted - 04/09/2011 : 13:14:53
my royal frank is the same size and was told hes a year old but hes way too small for a year i think hes about 5-6 months old as a guess
but as bats says they are all different. congrats on the new snake
n/a Posted - 04/09/2011 : 13:02:58
That sounds about similar to my first royal at that age - but in fact it's impossible to really tell a royal's age from its size. A good eater will grow faster and like people, there are big royals and small; my Shahi, cf10, is now 1050g; Saada, cf09, was 300g when I got her almost a year ago (and she'd been well cared for but fed according to directions of a shop; less than we do on this forum) and she's 665g now. So you can see the variation, especially as girls are supposed to be bigger than lads.

This is a good link as well. Hope this helps.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000