The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 mice and rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jimmer7 Posted - 17/04/2012 : 20:06:23
Hi just wondering is it possible to offer large/jumbo mice one week then a rat the next,my royal only eats a rat if its been defrosted in a bag smelling of mice,both food offerings are of the same weight
Royal 8mths old fed every 7 days weighs 350g
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Se7enS1ns Posted - 17/04/2012 : 21:59:00
No harm in it at all, a varied diet is actually healthy for them - they are opportunistic feeders in the wild and will eat pretty much anything they can get - rodents, birds, lizards, other snakes, and have even been known to eat eggs!

Whilst there are no ill effects to their health, you may find that a captive bred snake will take a preference of prey - so if it chooses mice, you might struggle to get him to take a rat later on - but no harm in trying!

My younger snake (Monty) has shown no preference at all, at the moment she is actually eating mice and rats in the same sitting - a medium mouse starter, and a weaner rat man course! Soon enough she'll be pulled from mice all together, but I may offer her the odd one on occasion, just to mix it up :)
n/a Posted - 17/04/2012 : 21:18:41
I'd personally stick to rats once a royal's on rats. If only because once the royal's full grown, you're going to find it easier to feed one rat rather than faffing about with multiple mice.

Might sound a bit silly, but if you've got mice and rats in your freezer,maybe you could mix them up in the same bag?

Another trick is to get some used mouse bedding from a petshop, and defrost the rat in that to make it smell mousey. (Yummy!)
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2012 : 21:18:25
No harm in a mixed diet. I throw in the odd change now and again with all mine.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000