New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  20:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi just wondering is it possible to offer large/jumbo mice one week then a rat the next,my royal only eats a rat if its been defrosted in a bag smelling of mice,both food offerings are of the same weight
Royal 8mths old fed every 7 days weighs 350g

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No harm in a mixed diet. I throw in the odd change now and again with all mine.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd personally stick to rats once a royal's on rats. If only because once the royal's full grown, you're going to find it easier to feed one rat rather than faffing about with multiple mice.

Might sound a bit silly, but if you've got mice and rats in your freezer,maybe you could mix them up in the same bag?

Another trick is to get some used mouse bedding from a petshop, and defrost the rat in that to make it smell mousey. (Yummy!)

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No harm in it at all, a varied diet is actually healthy for them - they are opportunistic feeders in the wild and will eat pretty much anything they can get - rodents, birds, lizards, other snakes, and have even been known to eat eggs!

Whilst there are no ill effects to their health, you may find that a captive bred snake will take a preference of prey - so if it chooses mice, you might struggle to get him to take a rat later on - but no harm in trying!

My younger snake (Monty) has shown no preference at all, at the moment she is actually eating mice and rats in the same sitting - a medium mouse starter, and a weaner rat man course! Soon enough she'll be pulled from mice all together, but I may offer her the odd one on occasion, just to mix it up :)

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000