Lost and Found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  22:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So after last nights fun and games with Ifrit, tonight he had my heart racing!!

I decided to go and check on him, and he's usually under his cold hide, so I lift it up, and he's not there. Check the hot side, not there either - panic! There's not that much decor in there, so knew he couldnt be in there, but decided to take everything out to be sure, and still nothing. Now I have two young cats, so I knew he couldn't have gone too far as they would have found him and let me know about it, in their own ways - which may not have been pretty!

For some reason, I remember a speech from Columbo that apply to certain situations - "What was there before, but is now missing? what is there now, that wasn't before? And lastly, what was there before, is still there now, but different?" - earlier in the evening I noticed that the thermostat which is at the side of the vivarium and usually stood up, was face down, which was odd.

When I realised Ifrit was missing, this point was too much of a coincidence, so I decided to check behind the vivarium first - and sure enough, there he was!! I'm just glad he hasn't come to any harm, he felt a little chilly, but I'm sure he'll warm up just fine.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

Edited by - Se7enS1ns on 16/04/2012 22:44:52

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad he's ok! I'm so glad I've not experienced this, and hope I never do! How'd he get out?

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  23:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're actually not too sure, as the viv doors were firmly shut. Earlier in the evening I'd been in there to top up his water and dampen his moss (he has dry skin from a bad shed), so the only thing I can think of is that I've turned my back for whatever reason, and he's taken the opportunity to make a break for it - I didn't even know he was out of his hide!!

Crafty sod. He seems ok now, I've just been to check on him again and he's all over the glass at the mo.

Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  23:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good Kane's too lazy to leave his hide, the only time he does is to go to his other hide! Lol

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  23:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little bugger! I think i mentioned Shahi doing the same thing earlier on ...woke up and thought my friendly house ghost was active lol. When they'r that way out, they're Houdinis.

Glad you found him!

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  06:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like it must have been the night for it! Rigel made a bid for freedom too, I'm not sure how but he managed to slide the glass over just enough. I found him halfway down the outside of the boas viv

The spare lock is now in place :D

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  09:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I'll be putting a set of locks on order myself - I'll take this time as a warning, next time he might not turn up!

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could try a wedge as well, I'm not a fan on of having a lock on the viv so I mite switch to a wedge

Glad you found your snake though :)

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  13:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like wedges - mainly because I lack the necessary third hand to install the metal lock lol. Also I wish the makers of those locks would provide a larger, heavier securing screw instead of those flimsy things that don't seem to bear the weight of the lock, but that's just a personal niggle.

Only problem I've found with wedges is that when you put the little gismo in place, check that it doesn't slide the inner glass panel open slightly as you make it secure. I've done this a few times, which is possibly the reason Shahi got out. If I've got a very restless snake, constantly trying doors, I also tape the doors with a bit of sellotape; it's fiddly and looks scruffy, but does ensure peace of mind, especially in a household like mine where the cats have the run of the place.

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  14:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Top advice BATS. I'll keep my eye on that inner door

Cheers

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  14:30:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Something similar happened to me when i got back to home from work and i was shocked to found that the top glass of my viv is broken !! first i didn't realize why but then i found that was because of the bulb i was putting on it, so it was broken because of the heat.
first thing come to my mind when i saw that, that Blitz escaped !! but i found him in his hide i think as austin_89 said "Blitz is too lazy to leave his hide"

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000