The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 I'm anxious, hmm no petrified

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 18/05/2012 : 22:35:06
I am so worried that Ra will refuse his mouse tomorrow. It all started when his eyes cleared and he started to shed, it was a bad shed and his skin stuck in patches all over him. He refused his first 2 feeds, then we bathed him and a day later he refused again.

He last ate on the 8th so its only been 8 days, but he only weighs 38g and he's 7 or 8 mnths old.
He has fed 3 times since I had him, so I shouldn't be as worried as I am. His skin is clear now with no stuck pieces, so i'm hoping he eats.

Its after my little Casper refused every meal and then died.

I am terrified that its happening again.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 20:21:12
LMAO Isn't that a little like saying "Would you like to come and see the puppies I have in my car?"
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 19:53:34
Just invite him round for a cuppa to 'see' the fabulous snake.
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 19:37:45
*smiles* Yeppers Rob, i'm pretty sure that's the reason, and the first thing my vet asked..the eye caps. He's a good vet to have local..he keeps snakes himself, and he said Ra is an exciting snake and that he'd love to see him. lol Great if I didn't have to pay for the privilege
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 19:34:42
Tonight you can just relax, all tiny little problems easily fixed.
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 19:10:32
Cheers Bats, I can try the pillowcase first and have the buds at hand :)
I'll do that tomorrow.
n/a Posted - 20/05/2012 : 19:02:14
I'd try the pillowcase first; the snake does all the work and it can bring eyecaps off so you might have a nice surprise. Good luck.
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:51:19
*grins* Thanks Rob, i'll get some cotton buds and try that tomorrow

Ohh and I just checked, temp is at 32.5 so that's better.
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:33:36
100 Watt ceramic will do the job but 150 Watt will be fine too as it will be under the control of a stat.
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:31:41
OK take one snake, here's one some other snakes made earlier.

Method one, the pin Spot to the spot technique. On the ground, you can hold just behind their head and their body doesn't need supporting, they fight it but once they realise they aren't going anywhere will relax/submit to it.

Or my preferred method as they seem to be much more happy about this is have them walking on you, make it so they thread their head into the snake head trap of doom (your hand) and then just tightenen your grip a little bit, they will support their own weight on your arm and again will fight a little bit but soon submit.

'Aww crumbs my head is stuck but its not uncomfortable'

Then you have perfect eye access.

No Spot's were harmed in the making of this presentation.
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:23:09
I'm about to order a 24" viv set up with an 150c ceramic..is that too big, plus it'll be end of next week before set up or should I buy a larger wattage mat?
Or steal Slinky's lol
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:18:55
I'm guessing that the main cause is he isn't warm enough then. A few degrees makes all the difference with these chilly blooded ones. The blindness could be another cause. The best thing to do is hold him just behind his head, let his body wrap round your arm that should keep him still enough to get a cotton bud and warm water onto the eyes, see if they don't come off that way, you can also gently use your finger to wipe across but very gently. You still have nothing to worry about, 20 minutes in a pillowcase could be enough to shift all the stuck shed, they can go ages without food so put that as a secondary niggle for now.

*runs to get spot to show you how to restrain them, he is agreeable to getting this done.
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:01:25
He's in an 18" faun with heat mat and mat stat..I think maybe I found the cause. He still has a few flakes of skin stuck behind his head, but I think the eyecaps remain, in fact i'm pretty sure. Looks like minature blinkers, like you see on carriage horses.
I don't feel confident enough to remove them on a turbo charged imp lol specially with nobody here to help me hold him.

I placed the moss box back, but i'm not happy with the set up..can't get above 30.2c and that isn't high enough.
I had him out, and he did settle..vanished down my neck and curled up with an occassional peep from my sleeve.
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 17:41:12
I'm sure its technique rather than medical.

Where does Ra live, what size etc?
JanieW Posted - 20/05/2012 : 17:19:10
No news except I phoned my herp vet..I think i'll get him to take a look.
hodgie Posted - 20/05/2012 : 15:31:40
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

he only weighs 38g and he's 7 or 8 mnths old.

Are you 100% sure on his age, they are born around this wieght?
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 15:01:11
NEWS???
chrisc Posted - 19/05/2012 : 15:54:56
long as its in the cool end it will be ok, might smell a bit when you get home though
JanieW Posted - 19/05/2012 : 14:56:48
Nah its still there, he's roaming looking for a way out.
I would leave it in, but gotta go over to my mum's tonight, so won't be home until late afternoon..that's 24hrs it would be ok until morning. I think i'll remove it before we go.

Just weighed Slinky, 402g..he's growing fast now
chrisc Posted - 19/05/2012 : 14:43:30
as bats says leave him be an leave the rat in overnight
n/a Posted - 19/05/2012 : 14:40:25
11 days? That's nothing, truly, even for a little tiddler like him.

If he's curled up and moving ...could he be taking down his mouse?

If not, you could always try leaving it in overnight with him in his cool side. He might take it in the small hours.

Good luck - fingers crossed.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000