The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 help me please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bpluv Posted - 25/05/2009 : 14:37:55
hi everyone, this is my first post and im new to rp ownership.
my rp came home on tuesday after it had apparently shed and eaten, but im not to know. is apparently around 5 weeks now.
when i got it home i noticed a small white spec on its back and thought nothing of it.
now since, it seems to have got bigger, but maybe it hasnt? but it seems to have got a sore nose that looks very uncomfotable but i cant find any infomation on anything like these. i cant find a local herp vet open in the area so im hoping someone can put my mind at rest.
this is my royal python.

sorry for the poor picture but you can sort of make it out. it seems to be loseing the skin off its nose as its going really dry.

hopefully someone has seen it before.

thanks to anyone that can help in advance.

neil
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 10/07/2009 : 23:55:01
sorry to hear this,at least no one can say you didnt try.
MissCat Posted - 10/07/2009 : 23:46:22
honestly, no, but u could maybe ask on the rainbow boa site..?
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 23:39:58
i dont know cat, i just feel so bad. i never realised i had a concoince.:o
but how do i learn these things without killing any other animals.
i read up on ris and didnt really find any other infomation on other health issues.
you wouldnt know where i can find out about health issues to look out for with my boa would you?
MissCat Posted - 10/07/2009 : 23:21:24
i think it's genuinley hard to tell when it's sick, uness it has an RI and even then sometimes it's not that obvious.
sometimes there are signs, but they also mean other things, so it doesnt click that there was something wrong until its too late. your vet didnt pick up on anything, so how could you have been expected to?
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 23:10:53
oh! i know never to spray anything around the tanks exept water, i bet he was very upset. wouldnt wish it on anyone.
i understand what your saying, but i feel sorry for the poor thing. more so if it was my fault. but then, it is my fault cause i didnt know how to tell its sick.

thanks anne, il let you get to bed. thanks for your time, and kind words.

night
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:59:04
quote:
Originally posted by bpluv

i know you wasnt anne, i thought it hadnt shed cause it hasnt eat as there is no infomation anywhere saying if they dont shed, or show signs of not shedding that it may be ill, so id never know. looks like we are learning from this. but is a harsh way to learn

yes it is, but maybe him going is the lesson..life is hard and when it is you that it is happening to then it is hard to see what is to be gained from it, but there is always something...

anyway, i have to go to bed now, been up since half four this morning..

you take care ok and try not to be to hard on yourself..

for what it is worth, my friend lost a GTP the other day because he sprayed fly killer in the room, he has an allergy to bites..two days later his snake was dead..

he was devastated, but others will now learn from it and it will save other snakes from the same fate...
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:56:58
i know you wasnt anne, i thought it hadnt shed cause it hasnt eat as there is no infomation anywhere saying if they dont shed, or show signs of not shedding that it may be ill, so id never know. looks like we are learning from this. but is a harsh way to learn
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:52:20
quote:

problom is i did seek help, i took it to the vet after a couple of weeks when i had the nose scab and the spot, i told him it hadnt eaten and that was fine at the time. then i found this forum and followed all the advise. and i was told at 51 grams it was ok, and i reported the weight loss and agin, you lot said it was fine, then a couple days ago i was told 40 grams is worryingly low. now my babies dead.
thats not a dig at anyone just to point out i did seek help. and apart from the weight loss was showing no other probloms, but never shed for me and never ate for me

i wasnt having a go at your nor would i, i feel dreadful for you that he has gone...

i only decided this tonight after what happened to your royal..

see the shedding might be another clue..

snakes can harbour illness for quite a time then it hits them, they have slow metabolisms, so it may well have been something wrong...

bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:46:39
problom is i did seek help, i took it to the vet after a couple of weeks when i had the nose scab and the spot, i told him it hadnt eaten and that was fine at the time. then i found this forum and followed all the advise. and i was told at 51 grams it was ok, and i reported the weight loss and agin, you lot said it was fine, then a couple days ago i was told 40 grams is worryingly low. now my babies dead.
thats not a dig at anyone just to point out i did seek help. and apart from the weight loss was showing no other probloms, but never shed for me and never ate for me
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:39:09
quote:

quote:

does not have to be fully grown, i got Peanut when he was 5 months old...and he has always been a good feeder, cept when i dropped a rat on his head two weeks ago, but he is back to feeding again now...

lol, its strange how the smallest things put them off eating..
at 5 months though they must be quite a size, even at 2 months my friends have outgrown their large hide. and at 5 months you have missed so much, even though you have a long time left its not quite the same as seeing what their babyish ways lead to.lol. i sound so soppy.lol.

not really, i could have been like you and got one that was said to be feeding but wasnt..

one thing though, and i would say this to anyone...

if you have a baby and cant get it feeding within the first few weeks of you having it and it starts losing weight then seek help to get it going......

that is not a dig at you either, but they are royals and sometimes they can be so tricky...

and snakes can take a while to show they are sick...but that is just my preferences...not everyone would do the same...
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:37:41
thanks BE
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:35:17

[/quote]

does not have to be fully grown, i got Peanut when he was 5 months old...and he has always been a good feeder, cept when i dropped a rat on his head two weeks ago, but he is back to feeding again now...

[/quote]

lol, its strange how the smallest things put them off eating..
at 5 months though they must be quite a size, even at 2 months my friends have outgrown their large hide. and at 5 months you have missed so much, even though you have a long time left its not quite the same as seeing what their babyish ways lead to.lol. i sound so soppy.lol.
Blackecho Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:34:26
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

you know it may be that he was already sick, and this might have been why he never ate...

Very likely. BP, you did your best, sorry for your loss
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:26:20
quote:

cat, nothing will put me off royals, no other snake like them. just abit put off owning another at the momnt, but i still love them. and il never know if it was my fault :(

just give yourself time first before you get another...

there will be tons of royals around in a couple of months time....
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:25:24
cat, nothing will put me off royals, no other snake like them. just abit put off owning another at the momnt, but i still love them. and il never know if it was my fault :(
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:23:15
quote:

i dont think i could have a fully grown snake, maybe a sub adult, its never the same if you dont see them grow. but will definitly be from a good breeder. where ever it may be.

thanks again

bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:21:09
i dont think i could have a fully grown snake, maybe a sub adult, its never the same if you dont see them grow. but will definitly be from a good breeder. where ever it may be.

thanks again
MissCat Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:18:50
dont let it put you off royals though, you did all you could and it wasn't your fault.
x
bpluv Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:15:32
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

OH NO! i am so sorry to hear this news :'(
you did all you could do though *big hugs* xx

thanks hun. x
wolfspirit Posted - 10/07/2009 : 22:15:19
quote:

thanks anne, i apprieciate what you say, and im sure ill do alot of hard thinking before i get any other animals, i just hope i go ok with the others.
i should of guessed what would happen really. i can bearly look after myself...
thanks anne

maybe if you do get another royal then get an older one who is an established feeder..

and from a reputable breeder..once again, i am really sorry, if only you could have gotten hands on help sooner...

just remember we are here if you need help with any others..

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000