The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Tongue problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kashie Posted - 05/09/2009 : 18:06:54
Handling our albino today, my son noticed that he was preshed - which is great because they say that it is really hard to tell.

Anyway, on further inspection, he also noticed that his tongue only has one side of the fork. We think it was there before when we first had him, but because we dont handle him that often haven't spotted this before.

I know it sounds stupid, but will this grow back? Will it affect his feeding? (maybe this is why he hasn't been feeding properly).

Any advice greatly appreciated.....thanks.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kashie Posted - 06/09/2009 : 17:06:25
I took some pictures earlier - this is the best one I could get with his tongue

As I said the fork IS there, but isn't displayed all the time, as in the picture - so perhaps now you can see why I was so concerned.

It's like it's stuck together!!
matty18714 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 16:56:47
Yes, we are thinking of the same video.
kashie Posted - 06/09/2009 : 16:55:20
Thanks for posting that - it's not the one I have seen, we must be thinking of the same one. (He was actually sorting them out - good from bad and explaining their problems.

Anyway - I've got him out again today and yes he does have a fork, but it seems to only be seen very occassionally. I noticed it and was relieved and went to show my son and then there was no sign of it.

SO, maybe he does have a mild abnormality with his tongue, which is why he isnt feeding properly.

I'm just so pleased I am not responsible, i have been feeling so bad.

Thanks to Anne for her kind words earlier and yes I do understand what she means.
matty18714 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 13:03:06
Yep, Ralph Davies. I cant find the video, but heres a differant one from the same breeder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yogrIDKAQR0&feature=channel_page
kashie Posted - 06/09/2009 : 12:54:33
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Its still a problem for royals.

Yes, I agree, I've seen evidence of this on you tube (US breeder) sorting hatchlings out from a clutch - they were a good few with defects - jaw problems and kinking.
matty18714 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 12:37:29
Its still a problem for royals.
Blackecho Posted - 06/09/2009 : 08:54:11
quote:

Its good that hes taking if first time, it shows he knows what to do with food.

That is why I asked. Albino x Albino results in problems for the hatchlings. Some hatch without eyes, short lowwer jaws, kinks etc.

You're thinking of Boas, not Royals.
wolfspirit Posted - 06/09/2009 : 07:45:23
quote:
Originally posted by kashie

Would we have casued this (if it wasn't like that before) from assist feeding?

The first two times we tried it was really stressful - but looking back on the thread the striking and missing was happening before we started to assist.

I don't know - I'm just trying to remember if I could have noticed it before!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt you did this either , dont go blaming yourself Karen.

Sometimes fate lends a a hand and maybe people will think i am nuts, but, it was probably intended for you to have him before you even saw him...If you understand what i mean.

With you he is safe and you will care for him and look after him...might be a different story if a breeder had got him..

matty18714 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 00:11:19
I very much doubt you have caused it though assist feeding.
kashie Posted - 06/09/2009 : 00:05:08
Would we have casued this (if it wasn't like that before) from assist feeding?

The first two times we tried it was really stressful - but looking back on the thread the striking and missing was happening before we started to assist.

I don't know - I'm just trying to remember if I could have noticed it before!!!!!!!!!!!
matty18714 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:51:27
Its good that hes taking if first time, it shows he knows what to do with food.

That is why I asked. Albino x Albino results in problems for the hatchlings. Some hatch without eyes, short lowwer jaws, kinks etc.
kashie Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:47:33
quote:

How long has it been since he ate? Is his mouth clean?

He last ate on Wednesday (assist fed) small mouse. This is not stressful at all and he takes it first time.

I have no idea what his parents were - why do you ask?

I did see somthing on you tube about breeders and albinos - they seemed to have alot of abnomalities - is this why you're asking?
matty18714 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:35:34
Just out of intrest, do you know what his parents were?
kashie Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:32:53
He hasn't fed since we brought him home - see link below.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2104

We have been assist feeding him as he was loosing weight.

We can't say whether he was like this before as we haven't really handled him because of the feeding issue.
matty18714 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:12:22
How long has it been since he ate? Is his mouth clean?
kashie Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:01:27
quote:

I agree with BE. You may find that he doesnt turn to look directly at prey because he cant pinpoint where it is exactly.

Edit - Are you using a bulb? One thing I always worry about is snakes burning their tongue on the bulb. The guard stops them touching it, but a well aimed flick between the bars will scorch it.

He was in a viv with a bulb, but it was protected with a guard. He's now in a rub and seems alot happier there.

I have noticed the last few times I have tried to feed him that he wasnt using his tongue and not following the scent when I moved it from side to side, but didn't think nothing of this.

What could have happened??

And yes Anne you are probably right.
wolfspirit Posted - 05/09/2009 : 18:41:18
that might also explain why he is not feeding properly for you Karen..
matty18714 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 18:22:47
I agree with BE. You may find that he doesnt turn to look directly at prey because he cant pinpoint where it is exactly.

Edit - Are you using a bulb? One thing I always worry about is snakes burning their tongue on the bulb. The guard stops them touching it, but a well aimed flick between the bars will scorch it.
Blackecho Posted - 05/09/2009 : 18:19:08
It won't grow back, no. They use the 2 prongs of the fork to taste the air and also to judge direction. So yes, it may well affect feeding. How much though I couldn't say.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000