The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Delayed Shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snecklifter Posted - 27/08/2010 : 13:47:32
Are there any circumstances where a Royal would delay a shed? Had mine getting on 5 weeks and he shows absolutely no signs whatever of beginning a shed cycle.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robert Posted - 02/09/2010 : 22:35:36
a small piece of aspen will not cause a problem but you really do need to up the size of the food as for shedding I have one that shed within 2 weeks and others that go for 8-9 weeks so don't panic too much
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 20:01:42
Not ideal, no, that's why I use Aspen/Aubiose or as Lou says, put some kitchen towel down or feed out of the viv. Fingers crossed he'll pass it without need for a vet.
Snecklifter Posted - 01/09/2010 : 19:25:08
Yeah, but do you reckon him eating that bit of substrate will be an issue - beech chippings are kinda square...
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 16:15:20
Even a hatchling Royal can take a small adult mouse, or preferably a rat pup
fiestastlou Posted - 01/09/2010 : 15:21:37
put kitchen towel on the substrate at feeding time to avoid him eating anymore of it, it could get impacted into him.
Snecklifter Posted - 01/09/2010 : 14:17:55
The size of the fuzzies has been a little inconsistant, some of them are about half the size of a small mouse, some much smaller and barely out of 'pink'. He's had about half and half, two at a time. Slightly worried that he managed to eat a single piece of coarse beech chip substrate along with his meal yesterday, but he's getting much bigger now - gotta be getting on for about 18" long - and hopefully he'll pass that without too much difficulty.
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 14:03:29
Fuzzy mice are really too small for a Royal so he may just be absorbing the whole thing.
carr13 Posted - 01/09/2010 : 12:37:34
good news with the shed, I think the eating during a shed is an individual thing, I have 3 royals and 2 eat regardless of shed but one is really fussy and refuses at the least lil thing lol snakes gotta love em
Snecklifter Posted - 01/09/2010 : 12:30:12
Well, there's 9 fuzzy mice in there somewhere, somethings got to give!
fiestastlou Posted - 01/09/2010 : 12:17:59
great news, some pythons do eat during shed, ours does, but it depends on the individual snake whether it does or not.
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 12:10:35
Good news
Snecklifter Posted - 01/09/2010 : 11:49:35
Update:

Well, last night, he shed. Beautiful clean shed, all came off in one go, including the eyes caps etc. What puzzles me is that there were no concrete signs of an impending shed (nothing you could hang your hat on anyway) other than an almost imperceptable 'dulling' of colour and a very slight 'blueing' of the eyes which lasted 2 days at most and only started about 3 days ago. Plus, he took his food as normal yesterday which i'm led to believe isn't normal during a shed cycle. We've got a bullet proof boy there I reckon, nothing seems to phase him. Hasn't been for a cack yet though.
mischang Posted - 27/08/2010 : 21:01:42
my big gal only shed 3 times a year , and the lillte one sheds every 6 weeks so amasssive diff , size,age,weight every thing has an impact on it , 5 weeks id nothing to worry about.
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2010 : 18:42:29
Growth does play a large part, yes.
heaton177 Posted - 27/08/2010 : 17:12:10
i think it depends on there growing rate doesnt it BE? ash he was younger mine dead every month but now he has moved onto rat weaners and eats every 7-10ish days he aint shed for 2 weeks. im going to see if he will eat aroiund the 7 days mark instead of leaving it for 10 cause i went to feed him on sat and i was puting paper down outside his viv so he dnt get aspen on his food and he shot out his hide at my finger lol, and then he waited for his food then. but he could prob smell the rat on the paper cause ive used it in previouse feeds

i dnt no why i use the paper cause he drags it into his hide anyway lol
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2010 : 13:55:23
I had one go 204 days before shedding recently...

Yes that is quite extreme, but a few months isn't too unusual.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000